• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Circling, unneutered male

Floppylop

Young Bun
Hi can anyone tell me if an unneutered buck will circle in his hutch if he is close to a doe, when I first got the pair, I put them next to each other with a mesh seperator, the buck was approx 8-10 wks old, the female a week older, he seemed to circle quite a lot and still does wondering if this is a normal hormonal response

it does sound like a hormonal response yes!

it would be advisable to try and move them further apart from one another, or at least make it so they can't see one another. its going to be extremely frustrating for the male (and possibly the female) and being close to one another, and being able to see one another, but not full fill that drive to breed.

if you plan on bonding them together, I would advise to keep them apart until both have been neutered and allow 8 weeks for hormones to settle. males can be fertile for up to 8 weeks post neuter (altho not a problem if you spay the female at the same time). it just helps avoid that frustration from either party.

Back