• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering

if a rabbit is neutered as an adult- around 10-12 months will it not help the marking situation as theyre already use to the habit? or will it be the same as neutering them before puberty?

I feel like it’s less of a habit and more of a hormonal thing tbh.

the reason for spraying is a hormonal drive to mark for territory and to find a mate. once you remove that “drive” to stake territory and breed, the spraying dies off. it’s an instinct over a habit or bad learned behaviour.

so I would def personally say that neutering would have the same effects no matter the age, as it causes hormones to settle down and not be so rampant. hormones are always raging in rabbits imo.

so yea, once neutered I’d say that the spraying would die down over the 8 week period it takes (with hormones often surging higher after a neuter and then settling down).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience I had quite an older rabbit neutered, age guessed at around 6 years plus, he was a terrible sprayer and did it all the time. Stopped immediately after neutering :)

Back