• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Balance issues

Linuxete

Warren Scout
Hello. My rabbit Sam is almost 4 years old. He's a house rabbit.
Today he seemed to be fine, he was eating and walking normally. But really suddenly he started acting weird. So I started watching him and noticed that he seemed to have some balance issues. He was unable to walk straight and seemed to be leaning towards his left side. The vets were almost closing, but I managed to take him there.
Vet has examined his reflexes, checked his motor function. He seemed to be reacting to light normally, showed interest in his surroundings. His head is slightly tilting to his left side and he appears to have horizontal eye movement (it's quite hard to notice this, because it's not very fast movements). His external ears are clean, no swelling on his ear bases. No sneezing or coughing, eyes are clear, without any discharge.
Vet diagnosed him with possible middle ear infection and gave him some corticosteroids to reduce inflamation and Vitamin B injection. I've asked about giving him antibiotics, but he said he first wants to see if corticosteroids are going to help him to regain his balance. He has to see his vet tomorrow.
He's home now and appears to be really wobbly, he can't move much or wash his face, because he keeps falling to his left side. I took all objects that he could try to hop onto, so he couldn't injure himself if he falls. He shows interest in his food and is eating some hay on his own. I'll try to feed him by hand later. He only wants to lean to something and lay down.
I've never had any experience with this, so maybe someone has any knowledge on how I could help him. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear Sam has balance issues. His symptoms do sound like E.Cunnicului or an ear infection (is he uppy earred or a lop?). They present so similarily that most vets like to prescribe for both conditions. Typically they will have Panacur in case its E.C., antibiotics in case its an infection & metacam. Metacam is essential as if its ears it will be painful but if its EC the anti-inflammatory properties of metacam (loxicom) will reduce swelling - vital I believe because to lessen its impact on the organs it effects (brain, kidney, spnal chord).

At this point I can't really advice as Sam has had the steroids & vit B - & I don't know this treatment pathway well enough to comment & it might be contra-indicated with the drugs more typically prescribed.. Many bunnies with EC (& ear infections) do well with soft foods as well as the usual hay - think dandelions, grass, herbs

My best advice would be to ask your Vet about E.Cunniculi's possible role. Lots of get better vibes for Sam

I’m with Joey and boo. There does appear to be some signs that flag up E.C for me so I would ask your vet to check for this. I believe there is a blood analysis that can be done.
Sending vibes for your bunny. Xx

Thanks for your response joey&boo. I know it could be E.C. and I will try to get him some metacam and antibiotics tomorrow. I know that they need to be treated with Panacur if it's E.C., but I live in Lithuania and we don't have such medication here. I could order some from UK though. But I'm not sure if it will reach us in time. I'm so worried about him. Never had any neurological issues with bunnies before.

Craig 1965 thanks for your reply. I live in Lithuania so no blood tests for E.C. are available at this moment.

Hello. My rabbit Sam is almost 4 years old. He's a house rabbit.
Today he seemed to be fine, he was eating and walking normally. But really suddenly he started acting weird. So I started watching him and noticed that he seemed to have some balance issues. He was unable to walk straight and seemed to be leaning towards his left side. The vets were almost closing, but I managed to take him there.
Vet has examined his reflexes, checked his motor function. He seemed to be reacting to light normally, showed interest in his surroundings. His head is slightly tilting to his left side and he appears to have horizontal eye movement (it's quite hard to notice this, because it's not very fast movements). His external ears are clean, no swelling on his ear bases. No sneezing or coughing, eyes are clear, without any discharge.
Vet diagnosed him with possible middle ear infection and gave him some corticosteroids to reduce inflamation and Vitamin B injection. I've asked about giving him antibiotics, but he said he first wants to see if corticosteroids are going to help him to regain his balance. He has to see his vet tomorrow.
He's home now and appears to be really wobbly, he can't move much or wash his face, because he keeps falling to his left side. I took all objects that he could try to hop onto, so he couldn't injure himself if he falls. He shows interest in his food and is eating some hay on his own. I'll try to feed him by hand later. He only wants to lean to something and lay down.
I've never had any experience with this, so maybe someone has any knowledge on how I could help him. Thanks in advance.

Hello, I am sorry that Sam is unwell. To be honest I am very surprised that the Vet administered a Corticosteroid if he/she thinks Sam has a bacterial ear infection. Rabbits are especially sensitive to the adverse side effects that Corticosteroids can cause, especially with regards to suppression of the immune system. The last thing needed if Bunny has a bacterial infection :? Really Corticosteroids should be avoid other than as a last resort.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Corticost/Cortico.htm

If the Coticosteroid was given as a long acting injection then he cannot now have Metacam until the steroid has completely cleared. The two drugs cannot be given together. As others have suggested EC is another possibility. Can your Vet access any other formulation of Fenbendazole, the active ingredient in Panacur ? Actually, it looks like Panacur is available

https://lithuania.desertcart.com/products/9334149-panacur-c-canine-dewormer-fenbendazole-4-gram

I assume the Vet would have to prescribe it 'Off Licence' for a Rabbit given that only the one Licensed for use in dogs is available. The dose rate would have to be calculated for Sam, 20mg/kg/day for 28 days.

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits

I would definitely want to get Sam onto antibiotics ASAP. I am not sure if you are likely to be able to Consult a more Rabbit Savvy Vet, maybe there are not any in Lithuania ?

The following links may be useful to take a look at

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

https://www.veterinarywebinars.com/...-are-caused-by-central-or-peripheral-disease/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

https://www.veterinarywebinars.com/...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

I hope that Sam will be feeling better soon x

Last edited:
Sam is still eating on his own. Weird eye movements have stopped for now. He tries to move around, but is still very wobbly. He can now wash his face without falling to his side and I saw him scratch his ear earlier. So he's improving a little bit.
I was thinking of all possibilities. Could he possibly get middle ear infection from a draft? It's been really hot here lately and we keep our windows open all the time, even at night. Maybe a draft caused him this. He was also scratching his ears for some time and shaking his head, but when I cheched his ears they were completely normal.
Thinking of E.C. He never gets out or meets other rabbits. I get his hay from a shop and his grass in a nearby meadow, wild rabbits aren't living anywhere near us. Of course he might have been infected all along and his symptoms are only showing now. I know that E.C. can be triggered by stress. This monday I went for a quick shopping at a local store, when I came back home some workers were trimming our hedge (we live in an apartment building, second floor). It was pretty loud and I left an open window. I checked on him, but he seemed to be fine. So I don't know if that could cause something like this.
Regarding his medication I will ask for antibiotics and some metacam to give him later. I know that corticosteroids aren't good for bunnies.
I will order some Panacur rabbit paste from UK, but it will take about a week to get here. I don't know if he's going to eat it, because he's a very fussy one. I don't want to stress him out with forcing it to him. I wanted to get something liquid, but couldn't find anything. What type of Panacur do you use?
Also I saw that you can get a dog and cat version of the same syringe here in Lithuania, it's only sold to vets though. I will try to ask if they could order this for me. Thanks for all the help.

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Sam is still eating on his own. Weird eye movements have stopped for now. He tries to move around, but is still very wobbly. He can now wash his face without falling to his side and I saw him scratch his ear earlier. So he's improving a little bit.
I was thinking of all possibilities. Could he possibly get middle ear infection from a draft? It's been really hot here lately and we keep our windows open all the time, even at night. Maybe a draft caused him this. He was also scratching his ears for some time and shaking his head, but when I cheched his ears they were completely normal.
Thinking of E.C. He never gets out or meets other rabbits. I get his hay from a shop and his grass in a nearby meadow, wild rabbits aren't living anywhere near us. Of course he might have been infected all along and his symptoms are only showing now. I know that E.C. can be triggered by stress. This monday I went for a quick shopping at a local store, when I came back home some workers were trimming our hedge (we live in an apartment building, second floor). It was pretty loud and I left an open window. I checked on him, but he seemed to be fine. So I don't know if that could cause something like this.
Regarding his medication I will ask for antibiotics and some metacam to give him later. I know that corticosteroids aren't good for bunnies.
I will order some Panacur rabbit paste from UK, but it will take about a week to get here. I don't know if he's going to eat it, because he's a very fussy one. I don't want to stress him out with forcing it to him. I wanted to get something liquid, but couldn't find anything. What type of Panacur do you use?
Also I saw that you can get a dog and cat version of the same syringe here in Lithuania, it's only sold to vets though. I will try to ask if they could order this for me. Thanks for all the help.

I use the Panacur 10% liquid

https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/pa...cpH5n8l4QHsCJHUCzKnQdgs6u5yTUwMcaAtx9EALw_wcB

The dose would be 0.2ml/kg/day for 28 days.

The reason he has shown improvement is because the steroid will have reduced the inflammation in his CNS, regardless of whether it is an ear infection or EC. But the steroid is only treating the symptoms, not the disease. So I would try to get some antibiotics for him today.

Thank you! I will order this instead, looks more easy to administer than a paste. Does it come with some dosing pippette or you have to measure it with a syringe yourself?
I will get him antibiotics for sure. Can you give antibiotics with corticosteroids, or wait untill they wear off like metacam? Thanks again.

A little update on Sam. He's now on Baytril and metacam. I've also ordered Panacur liquid like Jack's Jane suggested. So not long before we get it. He's going to see his vet again tomorrow.
He's eating and drinking very well. Also he can clean himself and still uses his litter box. He's a lot more steady now and yesterday was even digging my bed.

A little update on Sam. He's now on Baytril and metacam. I've also ordered Panacur liquid like Jack's Jane suggested. So not long before we get it. He's going to see his vet again tomorrow.
He's eating and drinking very well. Also he can clean himself and still uses his litter box. He's a lot more steady now and yesterday was even digging my bed.

What a lovely update. So pleased Sam is making progress:love:

Thank you! I will order this instead, looks more easy to administer than a paste. Does it come with some dosing pippette or you have to measure it with a syringe yourself?
I will get him antibiotics for sure. Can you give antibiotics with corticosteroids, or wait untill they wear off like metacam? Thanks again.

You will need some 1ml syringes for the Panacur. They can be rinsed and reused between doses, but don't last forever (so you may need more than 1 syringe). I also use the 10% liquid - so much easier to dose than the paste, and cheaper.

EC standard treatment is for 28 days.

Shimmer, I have a lot of these syringes, so no problem. I will need help with it's dosage though. Sam's last weight was 1,7 kg, but I'll ask our vet to weigh him again tomorrow, just in case.
Do you give it out of a syringe just like it is, or mix it with something to make it taste better?

Jane gave you the dose rate:
' The dose would be 0.2ml/kg/day for 28 days.'

So a 1.7kg rabbit would need 0.35ml / day. There is quite a big tolerance for toxicity, so 0.4ml would be accurate enough - and you will probably lose some as it is quite thick and chalky, and doesn't taste nice. I find it goes down better if you have a syringe of nice tasting stuff for straight after (eg apple juice). I've never mixed Panacur with anything - just squirt it straight into the side of the mouth between the teeth. More volume from mixing it with anything means there is more to lose as they often shake their heads after and spray it everywhere.

I figured it should taste quite nasty. Well, I see how it goes. Better stock on some apple juice, I guess. He's going to hate me for a long time [emoji16]
Sam's already running and jumping all over my room! [emoji50]

Weird eye movements are often symptomatic of a stroke, so maybe your bunny does not have an infection but has had a mini stroke

Back