• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy Hay latest batch

smudgiebun

Alpha Buck
Hey has anyone noticed the latest batch for Timothyhay.co.uk has changed their bunny's poops? They really love the hay but their poops are now smaller and darker.

The hay itself is a lot greener, like really really really green! It is still quite coarse and long, but not as thick as usual batches.

I've checked with Timothyhay.co.uk and it's definitely Timothy Hay it's just their last cut from 2019 and is a mix of their soft/leafy and usual stalky.

its perfectly normal for rabbit poops to fluctuate in colour, it actually depends on how rich their diet is (which isn't a bad thing!). that can come down to if they have access to grass, the batch of hay they have, what veggies they've had, dried forage, etc. just like wee, the poop can vary in many different shades of brown :lol:

I'm not too sure on size - the richness might have something that plays in on that too. providing they're not getting extremely small (indicating gut slow down), it may just be them adjusting.

each batch of hay can vary in richness even with the same cut, as not all hay is equal. I don't get hay from timothyhay, but my last batch I had golden poops, and this one darker ones.

I notice different individuals prefer different cuttings of hay. My brand no longer gives me the option to choose first or second cutting;so I often have to purchase it in person.
First cutting has more stems and seedheads than second cutting which has more leafy softer hay.
I get one bunnies eat most.
Poo size varies slightly.with hay type, softness. If it changed a lot it could mean they are consuming less of new batch.
Binky code is correct about normal poo color.
I suspect poo color may depend on nutrients and minerals where hay is grown, as my bunnies never have golden poo-not even good hay eater.

Thanks for the replies, some interesting things there.

Their poo went from big and golden to smaller and darker. They seem to eat a lot of this new hay so I don't think they are under-consuming.

I just read this about third cut hay and it makes sense:

Third cut hay:
This is the super soft leafy stuff. It looks very pretty, and we are naturally attracted to it. It does, however, have higher levels of proteins and fats, and lower fiber. It is what we call “rich” – nutrient dense, not so much with the fiber. The richness combined with the low fiber can be problematic, and this cut is typically either a “treat” hay, is mixed sparingly with other hay to encourage eating, or is used with elderly or thin animals. If you feed this hay, watch the poo! Make sure your animal’s litter box still looks as it should, that caecotrophs are being produced and re-ingested, and that there are no sore tummies.

So I guess I need to feed this more sparingly? We usually mix it in with local meadow hay so I'll make sure to feed more of that while we have this batch.

So I guess I need to feed this more sparingly? We usually mix it in with local meadow hay so I'll make sure to feed more of that while we have this batch.
I may have received 3rd cutting hay rarely when I did not buy in person. It reminded me of lawn clippings. Thank you for sharing the information. I never limited hay though I will often mix the new batch of hay with the last of the old batch even if it is the same brand.
Perhaps you can get some 1st or second cutting hay and mix it.

Last edited:

ah yes, third cut hay is very very rich to the point it can cause problems. its not advised to feed it like you would other hay, as 3rd cut is rich to the point it can cause obesity and bladder sludge. it can be used to mix through other hays sparingly, but not as a "main" hay

I have spoken to Timothyhay.co.uk and they were really helpful and are sending out a free bag of their 2020 1st cut alongside a new order I placed so we'll have two bags of the stalky stuff.

I do think they should have probably changed their website to mention what cut their 2019 was because people are probably used to getting the stalky stuff. I think next time I order I will ask them which cut they will be sending.

Also I got some local meadow hay the other day to feed alongside this rich hay. The local hay always varies anyway but unfortunately this particular batch is not great, it's dark and thin and the rabbits don't seem interested. The batch before this was stalkier but really choppy and they didn't think much of this either!! Can't win.

So the poor buns don't have anything nice and stalky at the moment. When the 2020 timothy hay comes we are going to mix in the rich hay so I'm hoping this doesn't cause them any problems.

I have spoken to Timothyhay.co.uk and they were really helpful and are sending out a free bag of their 2020 1st cut alongside a new order I placed so we'll have two bags of the stalky stuff.

I do think they should have probably changed their website to mention what cut their 2019 was because people are probably used to getting the stalky stuff. I think next time I order I will ask them which cut they will be sending.

Also I got some local meadow hay the other day to feed alongside this rich hay. The local hay always varies anyway but unfortunately this particular batch is not great, it's dark and thin and the rabbits don't seem interested. The batch before this was stalkier but really choppy and they didn't think much of this either!! Can't win.

So the poor buns don't have anything nice and stalky at the moment. When the 2020 timothy hay comes we are going to mix in the rich hay so I'm hoping this doesn't cause them any problems.

My bunnies can be fussy about hay, to the point I will worry if they are ill or needing dentals. This is why I always start the new hay and mix with the prior batch of hay before it is gone. I will even save a small amount of a batch they are eating well so I can tempt them with a hay I know they like if they stop eating hay. That way I will know if they are being fussy (or in rare cases if the hay is funky) or if there is another reason they are not eating the hay that may require a trip to the vets.

Your bunnies have already been eating the rich hay so as long as you do not give too much (similar to pellets) they should be fine until you can mix it with the stalky hay.
You are fortunate they have the 2020 1st cutting hay available. Recently I got some nice hay so I may stock up on several bags/boxes. I try to get nice hay before winter when it is harder to obtain, yet I am limited on how much I can store in my home so it does not get mold or mice.

Yeah I'm also thinking about stocking up later in the year/early 2021 so that we don't run out of the stalky stuff!

They got their stalky hay yesterday, very fast delivery! And the poops have already started to improve which is great.

I think sometimes we can get a bit hung up on big golden poops. Yes it tells us alot about the rabbits gut health but rabbits that are fed primarily fresh grass and not hay have much smaller darker poops and are equally as healthy. As long as you know the bun is consuming a good quantity of good quality hay I wouldn't worry too much, especially if both are affected. I'd be more concerned if only one buns poop was out of the norm as then I would consider a vet check.

Me and OH had a tiff over this because he thought I was putting out lots and lots of stalky and no soft. I said it is the flipping soft one its just really stalky!

But yes defo darker poops I would describe them as Cadbury colour :lol:

Back