• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to forum and need help

Hi all, have tried looking for answers about my particular situation, but have come up empty.
I got 2 male mini lops just before the covid 19 lockdown. Because of this I have not been able to see a vet. I intended to get them neutered as soon as viable, but this is not considered an emergency treatment. Now 6 months old they have had no vaccinations and are still in tact.
A week ago one of them started nesting and from what I read online suggests they are not both boys as the breeder told me.
Since this nesting he/she has not been bothered with it again and has returned to normal behaviour.
No babies either yet though I come down each morning with baited breath.
They have both always got on beautifully and clearly love each other and have the run of a spare room together, but in the last couple of days the male has been chasing, humping and continually harassing the boy/girl. To the point where I'm concerned that it may turn into fighting.
I can't get an appointment with the vet for another week even to confirm the sex of both which would answer the question of pregnancy. I wonder if I should separate them. If they are both in tact males or if one is in tact male and other is pregnant female my question is this:
Should I separate them and if so should they still be able to see each other with a wire divider in the room.
I tried this today, but the (definate) male is going nuts trying to get to the other one be it male or female.
Please help as I'm driving myself insane wondering what is the right thing to do.
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum [emoji3]

Whilst you wait for more knowledgeable people to come on to the Forum, here are my thoughts.
Firstly I would separate your buns until you determine their sex and get them neutered. If they are both male they could fight and may never rebond, if you have a male/female you will end up with an unwanted pregnancy. I would do this as soon as possible (now!)
Are you in the UK?
Most vets in the UK are still doing rabbit vaccinations and some are still neutering. If you have one that isn't doing these procedures, phone around a few others.
Good luck with your buns
Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Your instincts are right. Genders are often mis-identified, so you need it confirming. Whatever the genders, they are are at an age where they are likely to fight. I would separate them immediately until after they are neutered and ready to be rebonded.

It may have to be a full separation with no contact through bars - so a solid barrier, double grid, or separate rooms where they can't see or smell each other if there is a lot of aggression through standard bars. Get both neutered ASAP, wait a month or more, rebond on neutral territory. They should be ok, given enough time for hormone levels to reduce after neutering. However, if they are allowed to continue as they are now, fighting is inevitable and rebonding after neutering may not work.

If one is pregnant, she needs to be kept completely separate from the male. She can become pregnant again immediately after birth of the male has access to her.

I agree with the above comments. Please securely separate them. It has to be really secure as rabbits can jump over high barriers and they mustn't be able to touch one another through wire. Males can injure one another sometimes fatally and if you have a pregnant female she can become pregnant straight after giving birth. These are some of the "joys" of keeping Rabbits!

Thanks for the advice. I contacted a couple of vets and have an appointment next week.
They are separated by wire at the moment.
One is fine with it, but the other seems quite distressed and is madly chewing at the bars trying to get to the other.
Would it be better if he couldn't see him or would that make it worse.
I must add that there has been no aggression by either of them which makes it very difficult.
Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I contacted a couple of vets and have an appointment next week.
They are separated by wire at the moment.
One is fine with it, but the other seems quite distressed and is madly chewing at the bars trying to get to the other.
Would it be better if he couldn't see him or would that make it worse.
Thanks

Its unlikely to make it worse. I'd try popping a blanket over/between the divider & see if it helps. Good luck at the vets

Its unlikely to make it worse. I'd try popping a blanket over/between the divider & see if it helps. Good luck at the vets

I agree. In fact if the rabbit is that desperate, then maybe it would be better to separate completely so that they can't see or smell each other. It will be stressful for the rabbit who cannot access the other one.

I have read that if they forget the smell of the other one it will break the bond which has been lovely up until now, but I hate seeing him distressed. Horrible decisions.

I have read that if they forget the smell of the other one it will break the bond which has been lovely up until now, but I hate seeing him distressed. Horrible decisions.

The smell of each other might help rabbits get used to the idea of another rabbit but I reckon the stage they are at now they might need to forget about each other temporarily (sad as that sounds from a human perspective) while their hormones run amok. If they seem settled not being able to see each other all well & good

The smell of each other might help rabbits get used to the idea of another rabbit but I reckon the stage they are at now they might need to forget about each other temporarily (sad as that sounds from a human perspective) while their hormones run amok. If they seem settled not being able to see each other all well & good

I agree.

Back