• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt medication

Jemima

Alpha Buck
Marley saw the emergency vet yesterday with head tilt. He found an ear infection so gave antibiotic and anti-inflammatory injections and Marley has Baytril and Metacam twice daily until I see my usual vet tomorrow. He is also on panacur.

I have given these medications together in the past but the vet prescribed Baytril in the morning and 12 hours later and Metacam at noon and 12 hours later. Is there a reason for this does anyone know? I did query it with the receptionist but was told that was what the vet had prescribed.

Marley isn’t eating as well this morning so I would like to give him some Metacam now rather than waiting another 4 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t have any experience of head tilt so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes xx

I don't know why your Vet has told you to do this but I would think there is no harm in giving the Metacam now as opposed to waiting but speak to your Vet and explain this is what you have done. I hope Marley is better soon.

i'd bring his metacam forward if I couldn't speak to the vet. I've never been told to give anti biotics & metacam separately . of course there may be a reason but as Harley looks to be in pain. Hope your boy clears his infection soon

Thanks everyone, he’s had some critical care, some basil and rose leaves and tiny bit of grass and now he’s pooped so I’m feeling a bit less panicked.

I’ve just spoken to a different vet who has said it is better to give the Baytril/metacam apart but it doesn’t need to be 6 hours apart.

I never gave abx and medicam apart, though I heard motility meds should be given after other meds have time to absorb.

I have experience with head tilt and saw tilt get worse for a day or two following treatment before improving. Some tilt may remain after recovery which will improve-though some tilt may remain.

Sending vibes for Marley

Marley saw the emergency vet yesterday with head tilt. He found an ear infection so gave antibiotic and anti-inflammatory injections and Marley has Baytril and Metacam twice daily until I see my usual vet tomorrow. He is also on panacur.

I have given these medications together in the past but the vet prescribed Baytril in the morning and 12 hours later and Metacam at noon and 12 hours later. Is there a reason for this does anyone know? I did query it with the receptionist but was told that was what the vet had prescribed.

Marley isn’t eating as well this morning so I would like to give him some Metacam now rather than waiting another 4 hours.

I am sorry to be late to all this and to hear that Marley is unwell. If you are on Facebook there is a Group on there that offers lots of advice and support to people caring for Rabbits with head tilt

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HelpforHeadTiltHoppers/

Thank you Jane, I’ve seen you recommend this group before so I joined on Saturday.

I hope that Marley is responding to treatment and that you are receiving some support from the members of the FB Group x

I hope that Marley is responding to treatment and that you are receiving some support from the members of the FB Group x

He’s responding very slowly but at least he’s eating more on his own including some readigrass and a little hay and he’s peed on me twice to show his disgust at being given meds.

His head tilt hasn’t improved although I think the nystagmus has eased. He is managing to groom himself which is a good sign. I’ve had to separate him from the other 4 as they started to nip him but he can still see them, not that he seems bothered at the moment.

The head tilt site has a lot of knowledgeable people so thank you for the recommendation.

He’s responding very slowly but at least he’s eating more on his own including some readigrass and a little hay and he’s peed on me twice to show his disgust at being given meds.

His head tilt hasn’t improved although I think the nystagmus has eased. He is managing to groom himself which is a good sign. I’ve had to separate him from the other 4 as they started to nip him but he can still see them, not that he seems bothered at the moment.

The head tilt site has a lot of knowledgeable people so thank you for the recommendation.

I am glad that he is coping and I am sure he feels safer away from the others at the moment. Sending lots more vibes for him x

Thank you. He’s doing okay, is eating a normal diet and is a lot more mobile, albeit mainly in circles. His head tilt is still no better though so I’m going to continue with the panacur for another month.

Thank you. He’s doing okay, is eating a normal diet and is a lot more mobile, albeit mainly in circles. His head tilt is still no better though so I’m going to continue with the panacur for another month.

Glad he is eating and more mobile. If his infection is still present , he may benefit from a different abx. My bridge bunny Gemini got sulfatrim after baytril. Some gentle therapy may improve his tilt as can time. Sending vibes.

My boy had a head tilt (he was only 4-5 mnths old) when he went to the vet, he was given an injection (anti inflammatory) and sent home with Baytril and Panacur, I gave the latter first thing in the morning and the Baytril in the evening(for a week), I did manage to persuade the vet to supply metacam after a week , which lasted a week. He had Panacur for a month which was up today, he looks to be better with the head tilt, but has aways been mobile and also had a great appetite

Back