• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Britney could do with some positive thoughts

nap91

Mama Doe
When I went to feed them all last night, I noticed Britney didn't come out for food, and she's usually first in the queue. I went over to hand feed her but she wasn't interested and just hid in the corner of their house.

I gave her a small Metacam dose, some Infacol and a tummy massage which she seemed to enjoy. Within an hour she was nibbling on some pellets so I set an alarm for the early hours and went to bed. When I checked on her around 3am she ate some more pellets so I thought she'd be ok to leave for the rest of the night.

She's been eating greens and pellets whenever I've fed them today, but she's just not eating with her usual enthusiasm and is much slower. Usually she'll fight Phillip for the last bits of the food but she's not doing that today.

My first thought last night was perhaps it's the heat, as previous rabbits have sometimes been lethargic with less appetite on really hot days. She's also moulting huge amounts so I thought possibly that too. We've also had noisy work being done in the kitchen yesterday and today - Britney and Whitney really aren't fans of loud or new noises, so they've been confined to one room with the door shut, but you could still hear the noise. Of course, it could also be something like her teeth since she's eating so slowly, or something else. I've not seen her eat any hay in the past day. I don't know :( I'll keep an eye on her all the time she's eating and then potentially a vet trip next week :?

Thanks everyone. She's had two lettuce leaves, a strawberry top and a few pellets this morning. Have just caught her nibbling some hay too. Definitely not her normal appetite or speed yet but she is eating slightly more than yesterday so I think I'm going to hold off on the vet as she gets stressed so easily. Will monitor her today then go from there I think.

Just caught your thread, sorry to hear that Britney has been a bit off, hopefully it is just the heat and noise. Sending lots of vibes for her xx

A little update, she is eating almost normally, and seems much brighter. Still hiding a bit more than normal but I think that's where I've had to pick her up so much in the past few days! So fingers crossed this will continue :)

Pleased to hear that she’s doing better, hoping she continues to improve and forgives you for all the hands on care!

A little update, she is eating almost normally, and seems much brighter. Still hiding a bit more than normal but I think that's where I've had to pick her up so much in the past few days! So fingers crossed this will continue :)

Hope so, topping up the vibes for little Britney

Back