• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scab on back

Juliekaren

New Kit
My rabbit has a round scab on his back. Not sure if it's a fight mark from his brother or something else. New to looking after rabbits.

Hi and welcome. I’m sorry to read that your rabbit has sustained a small injury and determining the cause might not be straight forward.
My female rabbit has over the course of the last year/18 months, received two similar type wounds as you describe.
I’ve witnessed no degree of fighting with her husbun(s) and she spends a lot of time in our garden (supervised).
Our initial thought was perhaps a bird attack - magpie or crow seemed the most obvious. But we have no evidence. We have noticed that during mounting behaviour, her husbun will climb on her back so it could be a small bite from that.
Now then, onto your rabbits injury. First thing to observe is that regardless of the scab, does the wound look clean? Does the skin near look healthy and pink? Is there any evidence of discharge near the injury?
I’m only asking because first up you need to rule out any infection that might be there. That’s going to be worse to deal with than the injury.
If all looks well, then it should heal. The scab is there to protect the site.
Was there evidence of fur missing near the injury? As if there had been some pulling?
Check your rabbit over thoroughly for any other injuries to rule out further problems.
Does your rabbit go into the garden? Are there things there that could cause an injury as rabbits like to crawl and investigate. Things like broken bits of concrete or plastic that they could have caught themselves on?
Make sure hour rabbit continues to eat, poop and see and if that changes, get them to a vet ASAP.
Check the other rabbit also for injuries. If they have been fighting then both could have received injuries.
I hope this helps.
Craig.

Are they both neutered? If they aren’t, the two boys will fight. Can you post a photo of the scab?

Back