• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suddenly dragging back legs

lionlopdad

New Kit
Hi everyone

My bunny is recovering from spaying surgery on Tuesday. Today we had actually been marvelling at how well she was doing, she's been pooping, peeing and eating completely normally. Extremely suddenly she has begun to appear quite weak, it happened literally in the space of a few minutes and she is now lying in the "sunbathing" position, but rather than standing up to turn herself around or move, she is almost dragging herself into new positions.

Oh my. You are really going through the mill. I'd advise you to call vets now while (hopefully) they are still open. Whether its EC, stroke, injury - all would need prompt attention

Hi everyone

My bunny is recovering from spaying surgery on Tuesday. Today we had actually been marvelling at how well she was doing, she's been pooping, peeing and eating completely normally. Extremely suddenly she has begun to appear quite weak, it happened literally in the space of a few minutes and she is now lying in the "sunbathing" position, but rather than standing up to turn herself around or move, she is almost dragging herself into new positions.

Can you contact your Vet ? If your Doe is actually unable to use her back legs this is obviously an Emergency. It could be a neurological problem such as Encephalitizoon Cuniculi (EC), a spinal injury or a metabolic disorder (Floppy Rabbit Syndrome)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/bi...Rabbit Syndrome' (FRS,is placed close to them.

I'm with JJ and Joey & Boo with their advice. She needs to see a vet as soon as possible - emergency if at all possible. There could be many underlying issues that need vetinary intervention and analyisis. If possible, try and take photo video of her so the vet can see how she moves.
Sending loads of vibes for her. xx

I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry that this is happening with your Doe. Sending her lots of vibes and yes, she will need to see a vet asap.

Advice please

Our rabbit went in to be spayed on Tuesday and she had recovered well, she was eating, urinating and pooping almost completely normally until early this evening. Then, she almost "reset" to the immediately post-surgery state, and it was immediate. One moment she was eating hay and sipping fresh water and seemed perfectly content, happy even, the next she flopped over on her side (which we thought was a good sign as she has always done this when happy), but she began to look extremely weak and would turn away from us while still "flopped" by sort of dragging herself around with minimal help from her back legs, which seemed weak but not entirely immobile. I offered her some of her favourite veg, romaine lettuce, which she has been happily munching since the morning after her surgery, but she wasn't having any of it. She would bite it but only to try to pull it from me and toss it aside.

This of course worried us, so we took her to our local vets, luckily there is one just over the road, and they checked her out. The vet informed me that she had been behaving and moving entirely normally in the check-out room and that there seemed to be absolutely nothing wrong with her, so we took her home and decided to see if she perked up on her own.

If anything, the situation has since worsened. She is still very grumpily refusing all forms of food (she did have a few nibbles of a lettuce leaf when I held it to her mouth for a solid minute, but otherwise nothing), and she seems to be avoiding both me and my partner, staying out of sight as much as possible. All she does is sit in a corner, either hunched or "sphynx" style with little or no movement whatsoever.

The weirdest part is that it almost seemed to be a total reset, like she got to the point where she seemed almost entirely back to being herself post-spaying but then reverted to the very worst we saw her immediately after bringing her home.

Many of the symptoms resemble that of sadness, which could make sense because, on the day of her spaying, we also took her bonded partner to be neutered. The boy unfortunately died during his procedure, so it would make sense that she be upset, but we're very confused and concerned as to why and how the symptoms of sadness would come on so suddenly after appearing to be almost fully recovered.

Is this something anybody has encountered with their buns? What do we do? We're totally at a loss.

Hi there

I'm really sorry you're bunny is out of sorts again [emoji17] It really is a baptism of fire with rabbits!

Her behaviour this evening could just be due to the fact she had to go back to the vet's this evening (a necessary evil unfortunately!). Some rabbits do get quite stressed and angry at having to go to the vet and will be very grumpy with us once they're back home again. One of my buns will usually go into a three day sulk after a visit. But they do get over it and will return to normal.

The difficulty in situations like this is knowing whether her refusal to eat is due to being stressed and annoyed or whether it's due to the fact she's unwell and/or in pain. I.e whether the issue is a medical or an emotional one. I know it's difficult at the moment because you can't be physically present at the consultation with everything that's going on, but do you know how rabbit savvy the vet who examined her was and what diagnostics they carried out? Do you know if they checked her tummy to make sure her GI tract is working normally?

My suggestion would be to leave her alone for a while and monitor her carefully from a distance. Make sure she has plenty of her favourite foods nearby. If it is the case that she's annoyed with you for taking her to the vet this evening, then she may well be more likely to eat if you're not in the vicinity. When we're in the doghouse, bunnies seem to like punishing us by not letting us see them eat or refusing to take food from us, thereby making us worry more!

If she hasn't eaten anything for herself by first thing tomorrow then you would need to consult the vet again. It may well be that there is a medical issue that wasn't picked up during the earlier consultation and so she would need to be examined again more thoroughly. There is also the danger that she could have a stasis episode if she continues to refuse food so you may need to get the vet to prescribe gut meds and pain relief.

Good luck, I hope it is just a case of the grumps and that she'll be feeling better by the morning.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Our rabbit went in to be spayed on Tuesday and she had recovered well, she was eating, urinating and pooping almost completely normally until early this evening. Then, she almost "reset" to the immediately post-surgery state, and it was immediate. One moment she was eating hay and sipping fresh water and seemed perfectly content, happy even, the next she flopped over on her side (which we thought was a good sign as she has always done this when happy), but she began to look extremely weak and would turn away from us while still "flopped" by sort of dragging herself around with minimal help from her back legs, which seemed weak but not entirely immobile. I offered her some of her favourite veg, romaine lettuce, which she has been happily munching since the morning after her surgery, but she wasn't having any of it. She would bite it but only to try to pull it from me and toss it aside.

This of course worried us, so we took her to our local vets, luckily there is one just over the road, and they checked her out. The vet informed me that she had been behaving and moving entirely normally in the check-out room and that there seemed to be absolutely nothing wrong with her, so we took her home and decided to see if she perked up on her own.

If anything, the situation has since worsened. She is still very grumpily refusing all forms of food (she did have a few nibbles of a lettuce leaf when I held it to her mouth for a solid minute, but otherwise nothing), and she seems to be avoiding both me and my partner, staying out of sight as much as possible. All she does is sit in a corner, either hunched or "sphynx" style with little or no movement whatsoever.

The weirdest part is that it almost seemed to be a total reset, like she got to the point where she seemed almost entirely back to being herself post-spaying but then reverted to the very worst we saw her immediately after bringing her home.

Many of the symptoms resemble that of sadness, which could make sense because, on the day of her spaying, we also took her bonded partner to be neutered. The boy unfortunately died during his procedure, so it would make sense that she be upset, but we're very confused and concerned as to why and how the symptoms of sadness would come on so suddenly after appearing to be almost fully recovered.

Is this something anybody has encountered with their buns? What do we do? We're totally at a loss.

Has she continued to have good poo output ? This is absolutely essential. I assume that you were given pain relief to administer to her daily for 5-7 days post spay ? It is a few hours since your OP, how is she doing now ?

Sending lots of vibes for your bunny. I have merged your two threads as they are on the same subject.

Her poop seems to have slowed down a little, but it's not stopped entirely. Overnight she seems to have independently gone to a bowl of veg we put out for her and eaten a decent amount of lettuce, parsley and dill, but she's back to not seeming interested in hay and fresh water

Thank you for your response. Overnight she picked at a bowl of her favourites that we put out and we've been able to hand-feed her some lettuce and parsley. I do get the feeling that she's a little annoyed with us on top of being sad about losing her friend. The vet we took her to is a well trusted one with small animals in our area and they did say their check-up was comprehensive, although due to social distancing and probably general procedure I had to wait outside the building while she was checked over. In general, she seems to be going from "sort of ok" where she'll move around and nibble a couple of things, to appearing totally depressed and hardly moving. As I mentioned, the oddest thing is how it was an immediate thing, she was seeming almost fully recovered from her spaying and then just regressed in a matter of a minute. It's very confusing for us as first time owners.

Thank you for your response. Overnight she picked at a bowl of her favourites that we put out and we've been able to hand-feed her some lettuce and parsley. I do get the feeling that she's a little annoyed with us on top of being sad about losing her friend. The vet we took her to is a well trusted one with small animals in our area and they did say their check-up was comprehensive, although due to social distancing and probably general procedure I had to wait outside the building while she was checked over. In general, she seems to be going from "sort of ok" where she'll move around and nibble a couple of things, to appearing totally depressed and hardly moving. As I mentioned, the oddest thing is how it was an immediate thing, she was seeming almost fully recovered from her spaying and then just regressed in a matter of a minute. It's very confusing for us as first time owners.

When she does move, can she do so completely normally? What's her poop been like today?

Much better!

Hi all,

I thought I would update this thread as it's been a couple of days since our scare with Madison. She slowly got her appetite back throughout the night and the next day. The thing with her back legs was not happening when the vets were checking her over, and didn't happen again after we got home, so we're not sure what that was! Her behaviour has some differences to before her spaying, but that's to be expected with hormones and suchlike. On the whole, she is back to being fairly active, she eats various foods including hay from her bowls unprompted and without having to be hand-fed, she is still peeing normally and is properly hydrated (she isn't lapping fresh water too much, but she's never really done that when she's had a decent quantity of fresh veggies anyway), her poops have been small and dark since her procedure but are starting to return to normal which is very reassuring. Today, we even saw her get a case of the zoomies for the first time, and she even performed a little binky run which was lovely to see. She is also back to giving me lots of licky kisses on the arms and face when she's close to me, which is lovely as she did this before her op, but not immediately after when she down in the dumps.

With all this in mind, it is my hope that we are out of the proverbial woods in terms of her recovery, and we are now looking forward to introducing her to a new friend after she lost her bonded partner. I'm going to see him tomorrow and, hopefully, we'll be able to start slowly introducing them to eachother soon!

Thanks again to everybody on this thread who offered kind words and advice, you were all extremely helpful and very reassuring.

Thanks very much for the update. I'm really pleased that Madison is improving, she certainly sounds to be a lot happier in herself. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Back