• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a run

Alicia

Mama Doe
I’ve been looking for a run for a while and I can’t find anything suitable in my price range (about £200) I’m wondering whether to try building one myself. I have no DIY experience and have no idea where to start so this is probably a disaster but has anyone else built their own run? Any advice, tips?

I’ve been looking for a run for a while and I can’t find anything suitable in my price range (about £200) I’m wondering whether to try building one myself. I have no DIY experience and have no idea where to start so this is probably a disaster but has anyone else built their own run? Any advice, tips?
I think it's definitely possible, depends how fancy you want it to look, if you want mitre joints etc or not. How big do you want the run to be?

Also the weld mesh will probably cost quite a bit Idk if £200 would cover it.

Also the tools needed, and the weld mesh isn't easy to work with ime

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I have done it, but wouldn't recommend it. Buying pre-made aviary panels would be a lot easier (and screw them together), or find a local handyman and give them specific measurements, etc.

If I didn’t want a tall aviary type run, would it be doable to turn them on their side so they’re longer but shorter and attach them that way do you think?

If I didn’t want a tall aviary type run, would it be doable to turn them on their side so they’re longer but shorter and attach them that way do you think?

Yes. That's the way my dad built my runs for me; aviary style with the long edge on the floor plus the same panels for the roof. On one of the panels for each run he also built a door so that I can hook the runs up to my runaround set up via a custom connection from them or let them loose just by opening it (has both a bolt and a hook securing it for extra safety).

There's a video of how my runs look here if it helps https://drive.google.com/file/d/135J1dJMtk6uC7fpPUQ3AeV7VAqn0_L6r/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Forgot to say that each panel is secured to the next using lengths of copper wire at the top, bottom & middle. Makes it so that the whole run can be disassembled and moved or have individual panels repaired easily. I use pliers to twist the wire together so that it is tightly securing one panel to the next.

Last edited:
If you do make them yourself, make sure you wear gloves! When we built ours I didn’t and I cut my hand on the Free end of the mesh when I released it! I think aviary panels are a good idea :thumb:

My Dad built mine, and he built our family-rabbit one in 1988 (which lasted almost 20yrs), but my own joinery skills are rubbish: I can't even cut a piece of 2x4 straight :lol: I can assemble though! If you want to make your own, you will need (or be able to borrow) a decent saw, some good vices (to hold the wood), a pair of good clippers and a heavy-duty (I would recommend powered as I recall you have foxes) stapler (to attach the mesh). You may be able to get e.g. B&Q to cut the wood for you, but IIRC it's limited to a max. of 15 cuts free. Plus B&Q is more expensive than e.g. Wickes (which doesn't do free cutting IIRC).

If you do go ahead, I would recommend mitre joints reinforced with cross pieces. You might find it easier to build it in two pieces: one 'box' and one with all the fancy bits (openings) and then connect together when it's in place (permanently or otherwise depending on if you might want to move it later). Here's the 'box' end of mine part-meshed (with a Lopsy for 'scale'): https://photos.app.goo.gl/zXoyLLZfVgcWvjf89 (I only have these on Google photos right now so can only share links, images won't work).

This one https://photos.app.goo.gl/B3Dij1f6yviXU4Dd6 you can see the reinforcement: the cross pieces across the whole sides and in the corners. The wood used hee is very thin, not very strong at all, and I recommend you use minimum 1"x2", preferably that for the reinforcement and bigger for the main pieces.

This one https://photos.app.goo.gl/7WBkU3vMQfGGP6tC8 shows the one that had the fold-back roof (not shown) and a fold-down panel that allows me to step into the run. The fold back roof is two part, allowing a bigger opening. It has a catch system to keep it shut. The bit under the step-through panel is where the tube goes (you can see the first half of the plywood fixed panel).

Here you can see the two parts: https://photos.app.goo.gl/caQQMY93xfR4RHA76. The box is at the back and the complicated one at the front. They fit together so obviously that end isn't meshed :) I didn't want trip/chew hazards so the only reinforcement across the floor is the end of each box.

We used 1/2"x1" weldmesh from Wickes. It doesn't have a grade and is not very strong. I can pop some of the welds myself.

Have you tried posting on your local Facebook page? I bet you would find one or two people there who would be able to build a run.

It’s a shame you aren’t closer, my OH would have made you a run for the cost of the materials but sadly Surrey is over 2 hours from us.

I was watching this thread as I’m after a run, my partner built the one we are using now but it’s not great, he works with electrics not wood so hasn’t a clue what he’s doing.
I want one tall enough to put a few steps in the jump and climb o but also big enough to be able to run round, I’ve been looking and can’t find one that I like.

I’ve only just caught up with this, thank you everyone. I’m going to up some aviary panels and try and get my Dad to help me

Back