• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it possible for an 11 week old rabbit to get pregnant?

Tilly_01

New Kit
Hi, I have 1 buck who is 11 weeks old and 2 does who are also 11 weeks old. They all live together. The buck was neutered last week and today I have noticed that 1 of the does has a teat coming and for the past few days is not wanting to be picked up or stroked. From past experience I am aware that these could be signs of pregnancy. I am just wondering if anyone has heard of rabbits getting pregnant so young or if rabbits get teats even if they are not pregnant? also given that the buck was neutered at 10 weeks is there any chance he could have been or still is fertile? any input/advice is appreciated :)

I think you may well be having some baby rabbits soon.
you are supposed to keep them separate for a while after neutering. it doesn't work instantly.

The behaviour that you're experiencing with your doe might just be hormonal. I think it's possible that she is pregnant, but unlikely. However, your buck could still be fertile up to 6 weeks after his neuter, so if she's not pregnant already, she could well be soon. I would urge you to separate them asap.

The behaviour that you're experiencing with your doe might just be hormonal. I think it's possible that she is pregnant, but unlikely. However, your buck could still be fertile up to 6 weeks after his neuter, so if she's not pregnant already, she could well be soon. I would urge you to separate them asap.

thank you both, I had read on multiple websites that does can't get pregnant until they are 12 weeks old, I'm assuming this may not be true? I have separated them now, I really hope there are no babies! do rabbits only get teats if they are pregnant? or is this something that comes as they develop anyway? many thanks

There isn't a universal rule, oddballs can happen. My youngest doe that got pregnant was about 14 weeks, I only noticed when there where suddenly 9 rabbits hopping around the hutch, instead of 4 doelings. But this are 10lbs rabbits, smaller breeds can mature earlier, 11 weeks would be very unusual though. Prepare for babies anyway, with nestbox and extra hay, if it's false alarm it's a practice run, doesn't hurt :)

for future reference, bucks can still impregnate for a few weeks (I think it could be 4?) after neutering as semen can live outside the testicles. so you'll want to keep him apart for at least those four weeks.

in older rabbits the recommended time apart after neutering is 6-8 weeks to allow hormones to cool down. after neutering hormones shoot upwards so bonding an extra hormonal rabbit can be quite difficult. given he's so young its probably not as much of an issue, the main issue will be the fact that he will still be fertile for a little while :)

preitler is right - smaller breeds do mature faster. generally I think the advised rule is usually 12 weeks old, but its more of a guideline I think and not a hard fast rule that they can't have babies until 12 weeks. I have heard of some rabbits supposedly being pregnant around 11 weeks or so, but it really depends.

I may be wrong but I do not think teats are a sign of pregnancy, I know Luna has them and she's never had a litter (as far as I am aware). most sources seem to suggest they're not.

best you can do is be on pregnancy watch as an in case, rabbits are pregnant for 30-33 days iirc. a few days (sometimes hours) before giving birth they'll pull fur out of their dewlap to make a nest. usually this means babies are due anytime now as they don't make a nest weeks in advance usually. provide extra food and a safe place to nest.

you may also need to separate the two does from one another if one/both are pregnant. I believe its recommended to give both does their own cage to raise their own litter over housing them together.

Back