• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slight change in behaviour

lionlopdad

New Kit
Hi all

I'm probably worrying about nothing, but our girl bunny has just been spayed and is generally showing signs of recovering well. We're just under 40 hours or so since her surgery and we're seeing her appetite begin to come back and she's behaving much more like herself in general.

What's concerning me is that all night long (I've not been sleeping well since the other day for reasons I'll explain in a moment, so I've seen), apart from short periods of hopping to her litter tray and around a bit, she has been sat next to my partner while my partner sleeps. Like I said, this would under any other circumstances be adorable but it's a sudden change, as she would only come up to the bed previously if she heard the crinkling of a packet of treats and she certainly wouldn't stay very long, and definitely wouldn't settle down like she has tonight.

As well as her surgery, we had a boy lionhead with whom she was starting to bond, but unfortunately he went into shock after the anaesthetic was administered for his neutering procedure and sadly passed away at the vets.

Is this behaviour the girl is expressing in terms of suddenly staying close to us during the night brought on by loneliness from losing her friend, anxiety following her own surgery or something more serious like an instinct that something is wrong? I have hand-fed her several times throughout the night so her appetite and hydration show no signs of any problems.

I am very sorry to read of the loss of your rabbits partner bun.
My own opinion on your females behaviour is that it could possibly be part of her grieving process. She has not had the chance to say goodbye as such and rabbits, like humans, mourn for the loss and have adapted senses that could well indicate to her that she has suffered a loss. The bond she is forming with you could be her way of dealing with the loss and it’s important to maintain giving her additional support and making a fuss of her as much as possible.
It is possible as another suggestion that she is feeling unwell and perhaps trying to say this but if her other behaviourscare ok or eating drinking weeing and pooping then I would still think she may be grieving.
A snuggle toy might help - like a soft toy rabbit and perhaps when you all feel ready to move on, a new partner rabbit for her would be the most beneficial way to help your female bunny.
Craig x

I agree! Rabbits have very close bonds and she has lost her friend on top of which she has had a major operation. She definitely needs your assurance.

Back