• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay cakes / poo question post 3

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Bertie has been enjoying the hay cakes I bought him a couple of weeks ago. His output is smaller and darker though, so I am wondering if there could be a connection. He had no hay cake yesterday but no improvement to output. Otherwise he is well, but displeased at his reduced greens portion (cut back in the hope this will improve his output).

Last edited:
Bertie has been enjoying the hay cakes I bought him a couple of weeks ago. His output is smaller and darker though, so I am wondering if there could be a connection. He had no hay cake yesterday but no improvement to output. Otherwise he is well, but displeased at his reduced greens portion (cut back in the hope this will improve his output).

I wouldn't have thought that you would get this happening with a hay cake, although different types of hay will sometimes make a slight difference in colour. In the Summer when my bunnies eat a lot of forage, including grass, and so less hay, their output is darker in colour. But I don't think there is any decrease in size.

Caught Bertie eating poos today (not caecotrophs). He does this from time to time - should I be concerned or is he just being a minger?

Caught Bertie eating poos today (not caecotrophs). He does this from time to time - should I be concerned or is he just being a minger?

I used to see Boo do this from time to time. FHB acknowledged (at her lectures for bunny owners) they sometimes do it & she doesn't know why. I'd say don't be concerned as theres nothing you can do to stop it. I'd rather they didn't though as it does have potential for blockage (poop has been found on occassion in blockage surgery). No he is definitely not a minger ! x

Are these the hard compressed hay? If so if effects Fudge - poop goes darker and if too much is eaten if gives him excess cetophobes (but he generally has issues with this anyway).

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the hard compressed hay cakes. I am rationing them. He's a good hay eater so I am now wondering if the hot weather (even in Scotland it's warm) could be a factor.

Not sure about rabbits as none of mine ever had hay cakes but my Piggies go mad for them and I feed them daily and it has never affected their poops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about rabbits as none of mine ever had hay cakes but my Piggies go mad for them and I feed them daily and it has never affected their poops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting! Bertie certainly likes them. The ones he gets are quite big but they split quite easily into cookie size.

What is the difference between hay cakes and ordinary hay? I have never come across them.

I think its just compressed hay although the rosewood naturals one sound like they contain a nice mix
This mixed meadow hay contains over 20 different types of grass and edible plants, including tall oat grass, orchard grass, downy alpine oat grass, smooth stalk meadow grass, velvet grass, soft broom grass, sorrel, dandelion, plantain, wild chervil, red clover and tufted vetch ... to name but a few!

These are my bunnies fave brand. They don't really bother with green hay ones (Mousey lobs em about for attention) & the Galens Gardens ones totally dissed - got chucked in the end

What is the difference between hay cakes and ordinary hay? I have never come across them.
super compressed hay. Not the best for teeth, they're circular and around 2cm to 3cm depth. But they make a nice little treat though.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Mine certainly have always had harder, darker poo with hay cakes/cookies, but no more so than they do with summer forage or grass. Being outside I will only give them when there's less forage around and it's dry enough, as if the ground's wet it makes the cakes wet. I tend to give them Winter and advise bunny-sitters to give them too, as they're a source of enrichment :)

Also on the poo eating front: Aboleth definitely did this sometimes, and I've seen Lopsy do it once or twice, but there was no rhyme or reason behind it that I could fathom (they didn't do it at the same time, remotely) and it wasn't often enough that it concerned me.

Bertie and hay cakes are the 'Nature's Own' brand. They also do a version with dandelion and mint, which I have bought but not yet given to Bertie.

Back