• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Advice

Hey all.

We have a 16 month old, neutered male called Teddy and a 4 month old, unspayed female, Bonnie. One is living upstairs (which is Bonnie) and Teddy has basically the run of the downstairs aside from the kitchen.

We plan on getting Bonnie spayed but to young at the moment We desperately want to bond them, as its not ideal having two rabbits in separate areas.

Looking for advice on bonding them. Should we wait until she is spayed or can we bond them now?

Any advice is appreciated, as there are to many contradicting sources online.

Thanks
Chris

Personally I would wait until 6 weeks post spay once hormones have subsided. Because about now she will hit puberty and become very hormonal and it could affect bonding. You will need to bond in a small, neutral place neither bun has been.

Great advice from zoobec. Ok here’s my take. You have a situation not unlike what I’ve gone through recently with my two.
What you have is now two separate areas each one ‘owned’ by either bun. So zoobec is spot on that you need a neutral area otherwise you’ll have territorial arguments and complications.
I introduced mine by way of a wooden/mesh barrier so they could visit each other but not encroach.
Some tips here to help you - firstly take poop from each bun and swap over in their litter areas. It gets them used to the scent. Also swap them over for a short time so each can then pick up the others scent and get used to it.
Maybe get a snuggle toy each, let them scent that and get used to it and then swap them over.
Introductions ideally should be in a neutral place (garden?) with as small an area as possible, plenty of hay and food abd have thick gloves towels and oven gloves handy. Any fighting and aggressive body language then you need to separate.
I’m sure some of my ru friends with far more bonding experience than I have, will hop on and give you a wealth of really useful advice and help.
Craig x

Hi there. Your female should bond easily with your male as she is young. I would introduce them in a neutral area where the male doesn't go and he will chase her for a bit to make sure she knows he is boss :) She can be spayed when she is around 6 months old. When she comes home from being spayed you can put her straight back with the boy but in a small area as she needs to rest. Having him there will help her to recover.

Back