• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poop after spaying

lionlopdad

New Kit
Hi all, new here!

Also fairly new to bunny-parenthood. We got our bunnies spayed/neutered yesterday. Unfortunately the boy died under anaesthetic so caring for our girl as she recovers is extra stressful. She's been so much better today than she was when she got home and I'm generally happy with the amount I've seen her improve and perk up. I'm just wondering, she's not eating a great deal and only if she's hand-fed lettuce or cucumber. The eating has been getting progressively better but I'm worried about poops. Her poops have gone from a few very dark and hard ones to a few more normal coloured ones, but that are stuck together as sort of "double poops" for lack of a better word. They aren't cecotropes, just two otherwise normal looking poops melded together into a longer than normal one that's kinda peanut shaped (but obviously not sized!) Any advice or even just reassurance is welcome. She's a mini-lop if that's of any help.

Hi and welcome. I am so sorry you lost your boy :cry: it's such a shame. Your female rabbit sounds like she is doing well after her spay. Try to encourage her to eat hay or grass if you have any, this will be better than lettuce and cucumber. I wouldn't be too worried about the odd pooh, this will right itself when she gets over her operation. If you haven't already, have a look over on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website where there is lots of excellent advice regarding all aspects of keeping Rabbits.

Hi all, new here!

Also fairly new to bunny-parenthood. We got our bunnies spayed/neutered yesterday. Unfortunately the boy died under anaesthetic so caring for our girl as she recovers is extra stressful. She's been so much better today than she was when she got home and I'm generally happy with the amount I've seen her improve and perk up. I'm just wondering, she's not eating a great deal and only if she's hand-fed lettuce or cucumber. The eating has been getting progressively better but I'm worried about poops. Her poops have gone from a few very dark and hard ones to a few more normal coloured ones, but that are stuck together as sort of "double poops" for lack of a better word. They aren't cecotropes, just two otherwise normal looking poops melded together into a longer than normal one that's kinda peanut shaped (but obviously not sized!) Any advice or even just reassurance is welcome. She's a mini-lop if that's of any help.

I am very soory to hear that you lost your Buck :cry:

Did the Vet provide you with a supply of pain relief to give to your Doe daily for 5-7 days ? This is absolutely essential. With regards to poo output, in the first 24-48 hours after a spay the poo can be abnormal in shape/size/consistency. But the fact that she is passing poo is a good sign.

Did the Vet not advise you to syringe feed her with a liquid feed such as Critical Care or Emeraid if she was not eating for herself by today ? It is important that she gets an intake of fibre which is essential to restoring her normal gut function.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund has a lot of useful information on their website, here are a few links

Scroll down to 'Post Operative Care' on this one https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/medical/neutering/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/medical/pain-management-rabbits/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/medical/syringe-feeding-guide/

Thanks for replying and being so detailed with your advice. We were given medication (although she's not keen) for her to take both for pain and for help with digestion, the former she can have 1ml per day, the latter she can take 2 1ml doses per day. Over the rest of today she gradually began to nibble at more things and do so of her own accord. She's been quite happily going for the odd raspberry I put down and has occasionally gone for a little hay or chewed off some of the seagrass from an edible shelter, although she is seeming to be preferring softer, moister foods at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your kind words. We have had plenty of hay available for her, but she has shown a preference for softer things like the outer parts of romaine lettuce and cucumber. She has however in the hours since I posted been nibbling at hay and her seagrass house a little. Thanks again!

Bunnies do tend to prefer fresh foods when they're not feeling 100%. Fresh herbs, particularly basil, dill, mint and coriander, are often very popular. They're also gentle on their tummies so shouldn't cause any further poo issues. Dandelions also go down very well with bunnies in general, and are particularly useful in getting poorly bunnies to eat for themselves. Other good plants to offer include bramble leaves (which are particularly good for rabbits' tummies), willow leaves, apple and pear leaves, plantain and hawthorn.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Back