• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Pickle Please U/D back to the vets.

Yeah, last injection was Saturday and they said it’d last for 4 days. Just keeping a close eye on him and his output for now. Will be straight back to the vets if he isn’t back to normal by the end of the week, or sooner of course if he deteriorates at all.
It’s too stressful having rabbits, why do we do this to ourselves?! [emoji38]
I often ask myself the same question! I don't know how such an adorable animal can cause me some much stress and concern! They should come with a big warning tag.....

Warning this rabbit will cause you serious stress. [emoji1787]

I often ask myself the same question! I don't know how such an adorable animal can cause me some much stress and concern! They should come with a big warning tag.....

Warning this rabbit will cause you serious stress. [emoji1787]
Have to agree, buns have to be the most stressful animals to own [emoji38] well if you have one that struggles with its health anyway

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Have to agree, buns have to be the most stressful animals to own [emoji38] well if you have one that struggles with its health anyway

I think even just everyday activities. They can be quite clumsy [emoji23]. I'm thinking a label like you get on sofas that says flammable in huge red writing. But it would say stress inducing. [emoji2957].

I think even just everyday activities. They can be quite clumsy [emoji23]. I'm thinking a label like you get on sofas that says flammable in huge red writing. But it would say stress inducing. [emoji2957].
OMG the amount of times I've had to ask Aboleth/Lopsy/Chibbs is they're alright when they've tried to jump on the windowsill in a totally nonrisky place and just not made it :roll: :lol: I reckon that's how Lopsy will do himself in, trying to leap off/onto something stupid :lol:

Yeaaa or out of nowhere there's a silent danger and they dart off in a panic and smack into something [emoji849]

They're so fragile too, every health issue seems to escalate into a nightmare... Honestly who would have them?! [emoji38] We're all mad let's be honest

Yeaaa or out of nowhere there's a silent danger and they dart off in a panic and smack into something [emoji849]

They're so fragile too, every health issue seems to escalate into a nightmare... Honestly who would have them?! [emoji38] We're all mad let's be honest

Ahhh yes the darting of utter fear. We get that a lot, then the stunned look of a bun that's run into something [emoji2360].

Oh yes we're definitely all mad.

Who else freaks out every time a bun sneezes? If there are more than 3 in a row and start thinking I need to do something quick. [emoji1787]

Ahhh yes the darting of utter fear. We get that a lot, then the stunned look of a bun that's run into something [emoji2360].

Oh yes we're definitely all mad.

Who else freaks out every time a bun sneezes? If there are more than 3 in a row and start thinking I need to do something quick. [emoji1787]
Oh christ yea the sneezing I'm like omg what is it, it's there hay up the nose? Dust? Any discharge on the front paws? What's happening?! Then it's over and often they're looking at me like I've lost the plot [emoji849][emoji38]

Oh christ yea the sneezing I'm like omg what is it, it's there hay up the nose? Dust? Any discharge on the front paws? What's happening?! Then it's over and often they're looking at me like I've lost the plot [emoji849][emoji38]

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] yep. Every blooming time. It's when they start pawing their face too. Mine do it after drinking. I think they snort water up their noses. My OH just sits there totally relaxed. While I'm launching myself across the room.

Loving the comments! Yep, it amazes me how sometimes they can be so smart and other times, not so much!
Glad it’s not just me stressing over them, they should definitely come with a warning label :lol:
This morning’s update - some pellets have been eaten overnight. No interest in a fenugreek crunchie this morning though. Not a huge amount of fresh poos, but they are nice and big. Pickle decided to have a snooze during my online work meeting this morning and there was some snoring again. He’s moved some hay out of the way, but not sure how much he’s eaten. I’ve given him some loxicom this morning and put a heated snugglesafe down for him in case he’s a bit chilly with the sudden change in weather.
Appointment booked at the vets for 5pm.

Loving the comments! Yep, it amazes me how sometimes they can be so smart and other times, not so much!
Glad it’s not just me stressing over them, they should definitely come with a warning label :lol:
This morning’s update - some pellets have been eaten overnight. No interest in a fenugreek crunchie this morning though. Not a huge amount of fresh poos, but they are nice and big. Pickle decided to have a snooze during my online work meeting this morning and there was some snoring again. He’s moved some hay out of the way, but not sure how much he’s eaten. I’ve given him some loxicom this morning and put a heated snugglesafe down for him in case he’s a bit chilly with the sudden change in weather.
Appointment booked at the vets for 5pm.

vet will shrug & say 'not sure'

I hope Pickle gets on well at the vets. his response to metacam suggests somethings going on, I hope you can get to the bottom of it x

Does anyone have this re-occurring neurosis - OMG what's that bone/ lump? I'm often stroking my bunnies & then feel something untoward, particularly along Mousey's spine & boo's jaw. Quick panicked check of the other side to find the same lump / bony bit . Phew

Does anyone have this re-occurring neurosis - OMG what's that bone/ lump? I'm often stroking my bunnies & then feel something untoward, particularly along Mousey's spine & boo's jaw. Quick panicked check of the other side to find the same lump / bony bit . Phew
Yep. Dan totally freaked me out telling me Pip had a lump. It was her shoulder. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Good luck with your vet appointment Pickle. I hope he's still munching away, even if it's only a bit.

I hope that the vet appointment for Pickle goes well and that the vet can suggest reasons for his behaviour.

The respiratory infection hasn’t fully cleared and there is a small amount of nasal discharge. He’s had another gut stimulant injection and has a 7 day course of baytril. He’s currently industriously trying to dig his way out of the bottom of his plastic litter tray, so I don’t think he feels too ill at the moment. :roll:
Bit paranoid about Beans now. They live side by side and stick their noses through the divide so that the other can groom it (to the degree that Beans has a small bald patch where he’s been over groomed now) and sit together, yet still beat each other up every time I try to rebound them). Beans is behaving and eating normally, but what if I just haven’t picked up the subtle signs?
This rabbit malarkey is definitely too stressful!

In some way of comfort, I am pleased that the vet has found evidence of the respiratory infection still there - because that also reinforces the gut feeling you had that Pickles was still not himself. So you and you alone can gain great comfort from your understanding of Pickles - and Pickles is also so lucky to have you being his guardian angel.
I agree - rabbits and stress go hand in hand. I feel it is because (a) they don't vocalise very well when they are hiding illness and (b) they hide illness. So they make life hard for us hoomans - which is why I think as a community we are often over (or under) looked for the skills we have to diagnose our rabbits.
I've lost count of the hours of sleep I've lost with my bunnies - but I wouldn't swap it for anything.
I'm pleased Pickles has got further treatment and I'm sure this coupled with your nursing skills and care, will get him back to full beans (no pun intended) in a few short days.
Sending more vibes for Pickles. xx:love:

Yes I agree with Craig, having the vet diagnose the remains of the infection, has confirmed your instincts, so really hope the baytril will clear it up quickly. Sending lots of vibes for Pickles and a nose rub for Beans so he doesn't feel left out :D

Back