• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Pickle Please U/D back to the vets.

Thank you for all the kind words. Beans says, “Stuff the nose rub, got any fenugreek crunchies?” :lol:
I bought the bunnies this “tent” the other day. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8KP1QWFANMKJDJ8K14PM (The price has gone up by £1.51 since I bought it :shock:) Beans refused to go in it as it was too scary. Pickle on the other hand, now hides in it when he sees me coming! Makes catching him easier though! :lol:

Thank you for all the kind words. Beans says, “Stuff the nose rub, got any fenugreek crunchies?” :lol:
I bought the bunnies this “tent” the other day. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8KP1QWFANMKJDJ8K14PM (The price has gone up by £1.51 since I bought it :shock:) Beans refused to go in it as it was too scary. Pickle on the other hand, now hides in it when he sees me coming! Makes catching him easier though! :lol:

Cheeky Beans :lol: Treacle has one of those tents, a bit battered and chewed now, but she loves it, hides from me but forgets I can see her bum sticking out :lol:

Pickle seems a bit brighter today, although he runs and hides in the tent every time he sees me :(
Last night I gave him the 1ml of baytril in a 10ml syringe and drew up a bit of banana baby food into it. Tonight I used the 1ml syringe and drew up a bit of fruit juice into it. When I took the syringe away all I could see was bunny tongue, and smacking of lips, followed by a quick face wash and then more lip/tongue action. Is this a normal baytril response? I’m sure none of my previous bunnies have reacted to it like that!

He’s just realising that there’s a nice after taste and giving you a special moment that few of us are privileged to share in bunny world. Deep down, Pickles knows you are making him better and his life is all the better for having you there to watch over him.xx

Beans has now got a mild infection and has been prescribed the same baytril and loxicom combo. Not surprised he’s picked it up as they stock their noses through the divide to give each other a lick.
I actually started him on Pickle’s meds yesterday as I was awaiting the results of a Covid test as I had symptoms. Test came back negative last night so able to get him to the vets today. He’s eating fine and behaving normally, just a very slight rasp To his breathing when he’s been running about.
Pickle is still sounding a bit snotty but for the first time in ages came running up for his breakfast fenugreek cruncjhie abd wolfed it down :D
We’ve probably all get the same thing, serves me right for kissing their smooshy little faces!

Beans has now got a mild infection and has been prescribed the same baytril and loxicom combo. Not surprised he’s picked it up as they stock their noses through the divide to give each other a lick.
I actually started him on Pickle’s meds yesterday as I was awaiting the results of a Covid test as I had symptoms. Test came back negative last night so able to get him to the vets today. He’s eating fine and behaving normally, just a very slight rasp To his breathing when he’s been running about.
Pickle is still sounding a bit snotty but for the first time in ages came running up for his breakfast fenugreek cruncjhie abd wolfed it down :D
We’ve probably all get the same thing, serves me right for kissing their smooshy little faces!

Oh gosh, the house of poorly creatures :( I hope you all feel better soon.

I'm sorry that Beans is ill. poor wee poppets. I hope he improves soon & Pickles continues to do so . Maybe ask your vet about bisolvon if you go back. I persuaded local vet to give some to Rudey (was hard work as it was off licence, she was worried about dosing & she didn't know me) alongside his antibiotics (this was when we first got him). It worked wonders on his congestion. I'd like to hear what my regular vet thinks of it actually.

Get better Beans & Pickle xx

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that Beans is sick as well now [emoji17] Hopefully the antibiotics will get on top of it quickly. But I'm glad that Pickle is a lot chirpier now.

Sounds like you all need to snuggle up on the sofa with a blanket and a hot lemsip each!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Oh my goodness- I’m sorry that Beans now has the infection. Obviously after attention and jealous of Pickles getting it all.
Sending loads of vibes for Beans and hope that Beans recovers quickly.
Xx

Oh I'm sorry to hear that Beans has got the same thing, but good that you started the meds straight away. Hope they are both soon back to full health, so they can look after you ! Glad your test was negative anyway, look after yourself xxx

God, my typos were terrible this morning, you can tell I’m not well :lol:.
My appointment this morning was at the smaller satellite surgery in a nearby village. Different social distancing measures at this one. They have a consulting room with a window at the front of the building. They’ve spaced the appointmentS out so there was only me there. The vet waves at you through the window and you go and place the carrier in the enclosed porch, or tie your dog up in there. Shut the outer porch door, then they take the pet in, whilst you walk back to the open window and stand behind the rope (to stop you getting too close) and talk to the vet through the window. Typically, it was hammering it down with rain this morning, so I was stood under an umbrella talking to the vet!
They didn’t have any baytril in stock there, so I agreed to collect it from the main branch. Got Beans home and called them to go and collect it as they have to give you a time. They said they wanted to check the dose and would call back. 2 hours later, no call. Phoned them and they have no baytril in stock, they’ve ordered it but won’t arrive until Monday. :roll:
Thankfully, they’d been very generous when they dispensed the 7ml for Pickle (more like 15ml) so I confirmed the dose and am going to use his over the weekend.
I hadn’t realised how bitter baytril is, no wonder the poor thing was trying to wipe his tongue on something after having it! Have added a drop of pineapple juice to it now. How can 1ml be so much liquid?! Both of them were trying to do the pretend to eat it, but let it dribble out of the other side of your mouth routine tonight. I forgot to change my top and so am now covered in sticky bunny fluff. Just as well they’re so ridiculously adorable!
Pickle is definitely much brighter tonight. He’s eaten every crunchie offered and has been sat up on the boxes by the divide lording it over Beans and generally being very cheeky. :lol: I feel shattered though! :lol:

We’ve been back to the vets today. Pickle started snoring again last week. He’s been fine in himself otherwise. Beans has been fine, but I took him along too to be checked. Pickle did have a slight squeak and so she’s prescribed another 5 day course of baytril and loxicom. Beans sounded okay, but she’s prescribed the same for him, as the assumption is that they are reinfecting each other. I also got her to trim their nails as they were getting long.
Somehow, they only seem to have charged me for the baytril and one consultation fee! I’m half expecting a phone call to say oops we undercharged you. :lol: The vet was very relieved that I still had some loxicom left to give them and could just confirm the dosage, she seemed slightly surprised when I said I’d heard there was a shortage!

Back