• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Pickle Please U/D back to the vets.

Glingle

Warren Veteran
When I started working from home due to Covid 19 I noticed that Pickle snored. I assumed I’d just never noticed before as I was working near him with no TV or radio on. He was due to have his vaccinations the day after lockdown started. Obviously, the vet cancelled this, but I managed to persuade them to see him that day as he hadn’t eaten all his pellets and was only having the odd nibble of hay. He was seen whilst I sat in the car park and then vet concluded that he was healthy, teeth fine but gave him gut stimulant and pain relief injections. It was the vet, I don’t have much confidence in as I had to argue to get pain relief for Willow when she had a urine infection and who spent a heck of a long time examinimg Pickle and Beans to confirm their sexes when they were 8 weeks old! He was eating fine as soon as we got home of course.
Pickle and Beans both live in the kitchen but with a divide between them.
Forward to Saturday, bunnies both behaving normally but when he ate his hay Pickle was making a loud snoring type noise. No noise when he was just sat breathing normally, but when I picked him up so he was a little more stressed his breathing was affected again.
I got an emergency appointment at the vets less than an hour later. The vet came out after examining him and said that he had an upper respiratory tract infection, which made sense. He felt that the best antibiotic to treat it with was (I think) tetracycline or oxytetracyline. Unfortunately, they didn’t have any in stock so we’re going to ring round to try and find some, so I could leave Pickle with them and they’d phone when he’d had the injection and would need another one later.
As I was on the far side of town and by the motorway I decided to nip north into Preston to my favourite craft shop that had just reopened as I was making an 18th birthday card for a colleague’s daughter and couldn’t find a certain stamp so needed a replacement. I thought it was a bit risky as I had taken my diuretic tablet that morning (that makes you wee lots) but figured I wouldn’t be gone that long as of course, nowhere has toilets open at the moment. Whilst I was in the craft shop the vets phoned to say they’d tracked down the antibiotic but it was at a vets north of Preston and they didn’t have any staff free to collect it, could I? Of course I agreed, so they texted me the directions, it was about a 25 min drive from where I was. Got there and it’s a large animal vets on the edge of nowhere. Car park all locked up and looked deserted. Phoned them and had a half understood conversation where they said they’d send the meds over. Unconvinced that we hadn’t been talking at cross purposes I googled the vets to discover that they have 3 locations, two of which were open, but not the one I was at. Fearing that my vets had sent me to the wrong one I called the number again. After explaining the situation, I was told that they were just the emergency number and that they didn’t know who was dealing with it and they only had the numbers of the on call vets but didn’t know if any of them was dealing with it. By this time my bladder was starting to complain. I called my vets and explained the situation, after putting me on hold for 10 mins the said they person inside the vet building where I was knew I was there and would either come out or phone me shortly. 10 mins later, I car pulled up next to me and out got a vet with the medication!
I drove back to my vets (40min drive), phoned to say I was in the car park with the meds and had to explain the whole story as the staff had changed shift. I was then able to pass it through the window to the vet nurse who said they would give Pickle the injection and ring me back in a few when they would give him back to me. 30 mins later, with my bladder about to burst, I called them to say was he ready for collection soon, as it wasn’t a problem if he wasn’t, but if it was going to be more than 15 mins, I needed to nip home to use the loo and come back! :oops:
10 mins later they said I could collect him and bring him back for another injection on Tuesday. I’ve never been so relieved to get home! Literally!!
Pickle was a little subdued on Saturday but has been fine ever since, no noise when eating and very little snoring and up to mischief as normal.
Anyway, took him back for his injection yesterday afternoon and was told he needs another one on Saturday. Still haven’t had a bill yet as the injection isn’t on the system so someone needs to work out the cost!
Cut to this morning, I cam downstairs after a lie in, neither bun came bounding for breakfast, but both did come over and take a fenugreek crunchie off me. Went outside to see to Willow and Herb then came back in. I noticed that Pickle hadn’t eaten his pellets overnight, whereas, as is normal, Beans had an empty bowl. Beans had also polished off his fenugreek crunchie, whereas Pickle had abandoned his on the floor. Gave them them both fresh hay, Beans tucked into his. Pickle sniffed his and ate a couple of mouthfuls but that was it. Been trying to get him to eat with different things but he’s not having it. He’s not hunched up or tummy pressing and is sat in his normal places for the time of day. Spoke to the vets and am taking him in at 2.30pm. He has had a little nibble of hay since I spoke to the vets, but certainly isn’t eating normally.

Last edited:
Come on Pickle get munching! I expect the antibiotics have put him off his food. Have you got any tasty dandelions to tempt him?

When I started working from home due to Covid 19 I noticed that Pickle snored. I assumed I’d just never noticed before as I was working near him with no TV or radio on. He was due to have his vaccinations the day after lockdown started. Obviously, the vet cancelled this, but I managed to persuade them to see him that day as he hadn’t eaten all his pellets and was only having the odd nibble of hay. He was seen whilst I sat in the car park and then vet concluded that he was healthy, teeth fine but gave him gut stimulant and pain relief injections. It was the vet, I don’t have much confidence in as I had to argue to get pain relief for Willow when she had a urine infection and who spent a heck of a long time examinimg Pickle and Beans to confirm their sexes when they were 8 weeks old! He was eating fine as soon as we got home of course.
Pickle and Beans both live in the kitchen but with a divide between them.
Forward to Saturday, bunnies both behaving normally but when he ate his hay Pickle was making a loud snoring type noise. No noise when he was just sat breathing normally, but when I picked him up so he was a little more stressed his breathing was affected again.
I got an emergency appointment at the vets less than an hour later. The vet came out after examining him and said that he had an upper respiratory tract infection, which made sense. He felt that the best antibiotic to treat it with was (I think) tetracycline or oxytetracyline. Unfortunately, they didn’t have any in stock so we’re going to ring round to try and find some, so I could leave Pickle with them and they’d phone when he’d had the injection and would need another one later.
As I was on the far side of town and by the motorway I decided to nip north into Preston to my favourite craft shop that had just reopened as I was making an 18th birthday card for a colleague’s daughter and couldn’t find a certain stamp so needed a replacement. I thought it was a bit risky as I had taken my diuretic tablet that morning (that makes you wee lots) but figured I wouldn’t be gone that long as of course, nowhere has toilets open at the moment. Whilst I was in the craft shop the vets phoned to say they’d tracked down the antibiotic but it was at a vets north of Preston and they didn’t have any staff free to collect it, could I? Of course I agreed, so they texted me the directions, it was about a 25 min drive from where I was. Got there and it’s a large animal vets on the edge of nowhere. Car park all locked up and looked deserted. Phoned them and had a half understood conversation where they said they’d send the meds over. Unconvinced that we hadn’t been talking at cross purposes I googled the vets to discover that they have 3 locations, two of which were open, but not the one I was at. Fearing that my vets had sent me to the wrong one I called the number again. After explaining the situation, I was told that they were just the emergency number and that they didn’t know who was dealing with it and they only had the numbers of the on call vets but didn’t know if any of them was dealing with it. By this time my bladder was starting to complain. I called my vets and explained the situation, after putting me on hold for 10 mins the said they person inside the vet building where I was knew I was there and would either come out or phone me shortly. 10 mins later, I car pulled up next to me and out got a vet with the medication!
I drove back to my vets (40min drive), phoned to say I was in the car park with the meds and had to explain the whole story as the staff had changed shift. I was then able to pass it through the window to the vet nurse who said they would give Pickle the injection and ring me back in a few when they would give him back to me. 30 mins later, with my bladder about to burst, I called them to say was he ready for collection soon, as it wasn’t a problem if he wasn’t, but if it was going to be more than 15 mins, I needed to nip home to use the loo and come back! :oops:
10 mins later they said I could collect him and bring him back for another injection on Tuesday. I’ve never been so relieved to get home! Literally!!
Pickle was a little subdued on Saturday but has been fine ever since, no noise when eating and very little snoring and up to mischief as normal.
Anyway, took him back for his injection yesterday afternoon and was told he needs another one on Saturday. Still haven’t had a bill yet as the injection isn’t on the system so someone needs to work out the cost!
Cut to this morning, I cam downstairs after a lie in, neither bun came bounding for breakfast, but both did come over and take a fenugreek crunchie off me. Went outside to see to Willow and Herb then came back in. I noticed that Pickle hadn’t eaten his pellets overnight, whereas, as is normal, Beans had an empty bowl. Beans had also polished off his fenugreek crunchie, whereas Pickle had abandoned his on the floor. Gave them them both fresh hay, Beans tucked into his. Pickle sniffed his and ate a couple of mouthfuls but that was it. Been trying to get him to eat with different things but he’s not having it. He’s not hunched up or tummy pressing and is sat in his normal places for the time of day. Spoke to the vets and am taking him in at 2.30pm. He has had a little nibble of hay since I spoke to the vets, but certainly isn’t eating normally.

Poor Pickle. I would put money on his primary problem being Dental related, despite what the first Vet said. As you know, Nethies are very prone to Dental problems that often involve the tooth roots.

https://www.ufaw.org.uk/rabbits/netherland-dwarf-dental-malocclusion

Zamrmau.jpg

Is he on any pain relief ? If my gut feeling is right he would need pain relief as tooth root issues can be very painful, especially when Bunny tries to eat. Tooth root problems can also cause Bunny to snore and sneeze. There may be a nasal discharge too. This can be a clear watery discharge, but if a secondary bacterial infection sets in the discharge will be thicker and milky white.

Sending lots of vibes for him :love:

The other possibility is that the Oxyteracycline has disrupted his gut flora. Are his poos OK and is he eating his cecotrophs ?

Sending lots of vibes.
I'd hazard a guess that (as already suspected) it is a result of the injection.
Best of luck at the appointment.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Saw the same vet as Saturday which is always helpful. Heart, lungs sound normal, breathing is much quieter. Stomach soft but can feel poos. Teeth look fine. He’s had the usual gut stimulant and anti-inflammatory injections. Got loxicom for the next few days. Got to phone vets tomorrow to let them know how he is or if any concerns. Back for antibiotic injection on Saturday if all okay.
It’s so hot out. Car was showing 31 degrees. Had air con on on the journey and vet recognised my car as I pulled into the car park (they were squeezing me in between patients) so phoned me just as I parked up and took him straight in so no waiting in a hot car. Had to wait about 10 mins to pay and get meds as they have to disinfect the credit card terminal in between each person, so I left the carrier on the ground in the shade whilst I paid then home again with air con on. Poor Pickle had the longest drink ever when he got in and is now flopped out on his side on the cool floor tiles in the kitchen. Fingers crossed he feels better soon.
Teeth/teeth roots were my first thought too, but the injection is another obvious cause, we know as humans that antibiotics can make you feel a bit nauseous or off colour. I’ve only heard him snore once since Saturday so maybe it was a low grade infection that rumbled on for a bit as the first vet didn’t pick up on it at the start of lockdown. Makes me feel guilty that I didn’t get him checked again sooner. :(

:(

Pepper, Tulip & myself are sending loads of positive vibes. Such a worry. I hope he gets back to normal very soon.

Lots of feel better vibes for Pickle. Poor wee bub, he sounds to be having a time of it. :(

Sorry you both had to go through all that. The heat is climbing here too and has had all my animals feeling crummy. It's not fun for me either as high temperatures affect my blood pressure and drop it very low especially when I first stand up. If you're on diuretics please be careful, it'll affect you similarly.

I can also relate to the teaspoon bladder feeling! That's just me normally though. I'm a joy to travel by car with! :lol:

Thank you for all the vibes. :love:

I went in the kitchen earlier to check on him. There was a big wet patch on the floor between the litter tray and divide, where Pickle had been sat earlier. Investigations identified it as dilute bunny wee. Pickle was sat in the litter tray grooming himself. Picked him up and he had a soggy right back foot. Bottom clean but one very small bunny poop stuck there. Gave him a towelling off and put him back. I think he’d been in the litter tray and after his huge drink earlier peed over the back of the litter tray, then hopped over into it, using his fur as a sponge. Didn’t look like he’d been incontinent. His fenugreek crunchies are still lying uneaten, but Beans is having a great time as every time I offer Pickle one he comes running over to get one!

I then prepped some strawberries for tea. Pickle was sat on his snugglesafe (not heated obviously) between the hay tray and the divide, ignored crunchies at his feet. I’d offered him some carrot baby food earlier which he’d sniffed and ignored - I wasn’t surprised at that as neither of them will touch carrots (weird bunnies) but it was the only baby food I had in. I thought I’d give him the lovely fresh strawberry top to try and tempt him to eat. I placed it by his feet, he sniffed it and then hopped into the hay tray, stuck his tail up over the edge and shot wee over the snugglesafe and strawberry top. He then picked up a strand of hay and started eating it. I’m taking this to be a positive sign. He only ate a couple more bits of hay after that, but it’s progress and attitude!

Back