• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there a difference between does and bucks, when it comes to personality?

barush_x

New Kit
Hi,

Me and my partner are thinking about buying a new rabbit after our previous sadly died of cancer. We had a lovely doe, that loved to be petted and was very affectionate, however the rabbit we found now and would be potentially interested in happened to be a buck, so that kinda brought us to a question if there really are differences between the sexes? We tried to search a bit online but found some conflicting answers, so that's why I thought to ask here.

We would again like to have a rabbit that is as affectionate as our old was but are there some significant differences about this when it comes to the sex? We unfortunately don't have the option to go and see the rabbit beforehand, so that's why our only option is to ask
online.

Thanks for your insights!

I wouldn't say so - its an individual rabbit thing rather than gender thing.

If you were to get your bunnies from a reputable rescue centre they'd be able to tell you how friendly & affectionate they were ;)

I think its difficult, in other animals it does hold true (females are usually more hyperactive, males more laid back). but with spaying and neutering rabbits..I believe they become one in the same. I don't think theres much (if at all) difference between the two sexes. personality shines through stronger.

I would agree, getting a pair of rabbits from a rescue center would be the way to go, since you want something specific in personality. breeder bunnies are so young and you don't really know how they'll act until a few months later.

I have one doe who adores love and snuggles, and a buck who believes the world is his canvas to destroy.

rescue bunnies would come fixed and vaccinated too, which saves money and a huge worry

I think its difficult, in other animals it does hold true (females are usually more hyperactive, males more laid back). but with spaying and neutering rabbits..I believe they become one in the same. I don't think theres much (if at all) difference between the two sexes. personality shines through stronger.

I would agree, getting a pair of rabbits from a rescue center would be the way to go, since you want something specific in personality. breeder bunnies are so young and you don't really know how they'll act until a few months later.

I have one doe who adores love and snuggles, and a buck who believes the world is his canvas to destroy.

rescue bunnies would come fixed and vaccinated too, which saves money and a huge worry

I second this. Please rescue if you can! Baby bunnies’ personalities can change with time so even if the bunny you are looking currently is a baby then be aware his personality could change (baby bunnies tend to be more cuddly in my experience). Therefore, if you opt for an adult rabbits it’s less likely than their personality will drastically change. Also, if you do get a bunny make sure he/she is spayed as soon as they are old enough! Note: rescues usually do this for you, or if the rabbit isn’t old enough then they tend to give you a voucher for free spaying/neutering. This not only helps with reducing hormonal behaviours but is essential to the heath of bunnies, in particular female rabbits who have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer by 5 years old which is mostly fatal.

Females tend to need more emotional input whereas boys are more carefree. The other side of the coin imo is girls need a bunny friend more than a boy does.

Females tend to need more emotional input whereas boys are more carefree. The other side of the coin imo is girls need a bunny friend more than a boy does.

interesting obsevations tonibun. Needy girls eh? Would you say gender is as significant as personality then?

I would say it's gender specific, boys just live happily into the day, does seem to have some kind of agenda most of the time.

Buck digs - you get a fist sized hole, and he hops off to dig somewhere else, or frolic in other ways.
Does dig - you get a tunnel. Buckets full of earth moved every day, for weeks, and then, *snap* something is more important, entrance gets sealed off and you end up with a Indiana Jones Style Pit Trap Adventure Park in your garden.

I wouldn't say so - its an individual rabbit thing rather than gender thing.

If you were to get your bunnies from a reputable rescue centre they'd be able to tell you how friendly & affectionate they were ;)

I agree with this :thumb:

And this :thumb:

Back