• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wood chip bedding

does anyone know if horse wood chip bedding is safe its got the consistency of aspen and its dust extracted as its for a horse with a cough or something and its only in the litterbox

Shavings are not safe as they release phenols which can cause respiratory problems. You can use newspaper Or wood pellet or paper based cat litter topped with hay In the litter trays.

Zoobec is correct.
Yet I used woodchips without issues (luck?) when bunnies outnumbered newspapers and one bunny ate other litter materials.. Avoid cedar and softwood like pine-have good ventilation.

Yet I used woodchips without issues (luck?) when bunnies outnumbered newspapers and one bunny ate other litter materials.. Avoid cedar and softwood like pine-have good ventilation.
Indeed, if you absolutely have no alternative, great ventilation should help. My first bunny was outdoors and on woodchips (pine, in all likeliness :roll:) for his almost 11yrs and no issues as well, but haven't done the same since I found out they weren't great. I also have much less waste now :lol:

Back