• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis after vaccine?

Vale&Doyle

New Kit
Hi everyone,
Premise: I would like to ask for your opinion - of course I have already taken my bunny to the out of hour clinic yesterday, and I have an appointment with my day vet first thing tomorrow. I just want to hear your stories and opinions, cause the wait is killing me.

That being said, that's my problem. Yesterday (Sunday) I noticed that my 4 months bunny Molly had pink/swelled eyes. She got her vaccine 11 days ago (myxo and RHD). So I took her to the emergency clinic, to rule out worst case scenario (myxo), cause I know vaccine do not cover 100%.

The vet at the clinic said he had no clue and asked for £200 (Jee, thanks!). He told me to take Molly to my day vet the next day for more exams. I called this am and got an appointment for tomorrow at 9am.

In the early afternoon I noticed that now the nose has a tiny "bubble" as well. So I called the vet again but they cannot see Molly today. So I am waiting for tomorrow am.

So, in the meantime, I want your opinions / stories. Do you know of rabbits that got myxo after the vaccine. Or had bunnies with similar conditions??

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Premise: I would like to ask for your opinion - of course I have already taken my bunny to the out of hour clinic yesterday, and I have an appointment with my day vet first thing tomorrow. I just want to hear your stories and opinions, cause the wait is killing me.

That being said, that's my problem. Yesterday (Sunday) I noticed that my 4 months bunny Molly had pink/swelled eyes. She got her vaccine 11 days ago (myxo and RHD). So I took her to the emergency clinic, to rule out worst case scenario (myxo), cause I know vaccine do not cover 100%.

The vet at the clinic said he had no clue and asked for £200 (Jee, thanks!). He told me to take Molly to my day vet the next day for more exams. I called this am and got an appointment for tomorrow at 9am.

In the early afternoon I noticed that now the nose has a tiny "bubble" as well. So I called the vet again but they cannot see Molly today. So I am waiting for tomorrow am.

So, in the meantime, I want your opinions / stories. Do you know of rabbits that got myxo after the vaccine. Or had bunnies with similar conditions??

In rare cases a Rabbit can have an adverse reaction to the Nobivac Myxo-RHD vaccine and that can present with mild symptoms of Myxomatosis See 'Adverse Reactions' on the Vaccine Data Information Sheet

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

If this is the case for your Rabbit your Vet needs to report the incident to the Veterinary Medicine Directorate (VMD)

https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/adversereactionreporting/Product.aspx?SARType=Animal

and to the Vaccine manufacturer

thanks so much. That's what I was thinking too. A reaction to the vaccine.
Actually, compared to when I vaccinated my first rabbit 3 months ago, they had a slightly different vaccine (a new one they said) where you would need just an injection instead of two (two weeks apart). So who knows...

Does anyone know what are the odds to recover from myxo with "mild symptoms" / as vaccine side effects?

On a side note, my Molly seems ok. She eats, poops and play. Only symptoms so far are these "bubbles" on eyes and nose (not sure if I am allowed to post photos)

I am sorry to hear of the problems with your bunny. Most rabbits do recover from this, if that is what it is. There is a tutorial in the Forum Rules on how to post a photo if you want to. I hope bunny makes a full recovery.

thanks so much. That's what I was thinking too. A reaction to the vaccine.
Actually, compared to when I vaccinated my first rabbit 3 months ago, they had a slightly different vaccine (a new one they said) where you would need just an injection instead of two (two weeks apart). So who knows...

Does anyone know what are the odds to recover from myxo with "mild symptoms" / as vaccine side effects?

On a side note, my Molly seems ok. She eats, poops and play. Only symptoms so far are these "bubbles" on eyes and nose (not sure if I am allowed to post photos)

Yes you can post photos and yes Rabbits who have an adverse reaction to the Vaccine that causes mild symptoms almost always make a full recovery :) Molly may need some treatment whilst she is symptomatic so hopefully the Vet you see tomorrow will provide that.

This is the information about the new triple vaccine :

https://www.msd-animal-health-hub.co.uk/Products/Nobivac-MyxoRHD-PLUS

thanks for your help, it means a lot.

We have been to the vet and unfortunately it is myxomatosis. The vet doesn't think that it's a side effect of the vaccine but she believes that Molly got in contact with the virus before her vaccine on June 11th.
In any case, she have given me eye drops and some critic care (but Molly still eats). We can only monitor her and hope for the best.

Please send positive thoughts to my baby girl ❤️

thanks for your help, it means a lot.

We have been to the vet and unfortunately it is myxomatosis. The vet doesn't think that it's a side effect of the vaccine but she believes that Molly got in contact with the virus before her vaccine on June 11th.
In any case, she have given me eye drops and some critic care (but Molly still eats). We can only monitor her and hope for the best.

Please send positive thoughts to my baby girl ❤️

Did the Vet not prescribe systemic antibiotics to try to ward of secondary bacterial pneumonia which is the usual cause of fatalities ? Also a systemic non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam to try to reduce the inflammation the Myxomatosis Virus causes ? I do hope that your Bunny can recover x

I am really sorry to hear this up-date and hope your Bunny is able to get over it. I would definitely look into the advice Jack's-Jane has mentioned.

Sorry to hear your latest update. Sending loads of vibes for your bunny to make a full recovery xx

Hi everyone,

I hope your bunny gets well soon. I know how stressful it can be as mine had a reaction to her Eravac, but not in the same way as your bunny. The only advice I can give is to keep your vet up to date with how she is doing, because otherwise they may presume all is fine, when it’s not. I’ve been sending my vet a daily photo and update and will continue to do so until she’s healed. Also make sure it’s reported to the vaccine company and the veterinary medicines council.
I hope she does ok. What a shame for her and you.

Did the Vet not prescribe systemic antibiotics to try to ward of secondary bacterial pneumonia which is the usual cause of fatalities ? Also a systemic non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam to try to reduce the inflammation the Myxomatosis Virus causes ? I do hope that your Bunny can recover x

I agree. I would urge you to contact your vet and ask for an antibiotic and an NSAID. I have nursed a vaccinated bunny through a severe bout of Myxomatosis and he was prescribed a long course of Penicillin injections and also Metacam.

No, but she says that she wants to see Molly every 3 days. Her symptoms are - as of today, very mild. Puffy eyes and a small bump on her nose. So maybe she will adjust the therapy as needed.

Also, I have noticed that, today, the puffiness around the eyes is a bit darker andmore "dry" compared to yesterday, when it was really red and "shiny". Not sure if this is a good pr bad sign

thanks again for all your kind words

Well not wishing to try to sound as though I know more than your Vet, I am in no way Veterinary Qualified, but I'd put money on that being a vaccine reaction rather than that she was incubating Myxomatosis prior to vaccinating.

One of my Rabbits, John -Joe had the adverse reaction a week after his Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccine

Daq26zT.jpg

Here is the thread about it

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Lease-U-D-5th-May&highlight=john-+vaccination

I hope that your Bunny will recover as quickly and as well as John-Joe did :)

Well not wishing to try to sound as though I know more than your Vet, I am in no way Veterinary Qualified, but I'd put money on that being a vaccine reaction rather than that she was incubating Myxomatosis prior to vaccinating.

One of my Rabbits, John -Joe had the adverse reaction a week after his Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccine

Daq26zT.jpg

Here is the thread about it

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Lease-U-D-5th-May&highlight=john-+vaccination

I hope that your Bunny will recover as quickly and as well as John-Joe did :)

I agree. I was thinking about this last night and thought it was too much of a coincidence to have contracted Myxo at almost the same time as the Vacc but of course I might be mistaken. If we are right then bunny has a much better chance of recovering, which I really hope to be the case.

Thanks so much for all your support.

This was my first "feeling" when I saw Molly's eyes on Sunday. It's too much of a coincidence to catch a virus at the exact same time of the vaccine.

As far as I know, one of the vet at my clinic is an expert in small animals / rabbits, so I don't want to sound like one of this mamas that think they know more of their doctors because they have checked the symptoms on Google!!

But my vet told me that the vaccine does not give that reaction (we know for a fact that this is not true) and she was super convinced that it was the virus in incubation before the vaccine! And she also told me that there was no reason to keep Molly separated from Doyle, my other bun, at this stage

So now, either my vet is not really that rabbit savvy, or she is trying to "protect" the clinic somehow, trying to take the blame away from them (maybe they had other similar cases with the same vaccine??)

I don't know, I don't want to sound paranoid...and I don't know how to approach this with my vet!

(on a different note, I will change vet soon anyways because I am moving to a totally different part of London)

Thanks so much for all your support.

This was my first "feeling" when I saw Molly's eyes on Sunday. It's too much of a coincidence to catch a virus at the exact same time of the vaccine.

As far as I know, one of the vet at my clinic is an expert in small animals / rabbits, so I don't want to sound like one of this mamas that think they know more of their doctors because they have checked the symptoms on Google!!

But my vet told me that the vaccine does not give that reaction (we know for a fact that this is not true) and she was super convinced that it was the virus in incubation before the vaccine! And she also told me that there was no reason to keep Molly separated from Doyle, my other bun, at this stage

So now, either my vet is not really that rabbit savvy, or she is trying to "protect" the clinic somehow, trying to take the blame away from them (maybe they had other similar cases with the same vaccine??)

I don't know, I don't want to sound paranoid...and I don't know how to approach this with my vet!

(on a different note, I will change vet soon anyways because I am moving to a totally different part of London)

No Vet can guarantee that a specific animal will not have an adverse reaction to a vaccine. Same with humans. I am more than happy for you to print out my thread about JJ to show to your Vet. Also, I'd tactfully flag up that the rare adverse reaction is actually mentioned on the product Data Sheet.

There is a list of Rabbit Savvy Vets provided by the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Depending on what part of London you are moving to I could recommend a few too as I live in SW London :).........where it is already far too hot today !!

Back