• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Blue may have arthritis UPDATE POST 6 - we thought we'd lost her

xlaurax

Mama Doe
My poor big girl :( she's never been the most graceful rabbit but over the past few months she's definitly got clumsier. Today she had a moment where she fell over and then was walking with her back legs rather than hopping. It passed after about 20 minutes but she's not comfortable. I can tell she's struggling to get comfy.

She is 9 in November. Her back end is spotlessly clean and her head doesn't tilt. I'm hoping it's arthritis rather than the awful E.C :(

Last edited:
Poor Blue, I 'd contact your Vet to arrange to have Blue examined to try to ascertain whether she does have some age related arthritis. This would not be unusual in a 9 year old Rabbit, especially if Blue is a large girlie. Hopefully the Vet will suggest some diagnostics and treatment. Please keep us updated as to what your Vet advises xx

OK so things took a really bad turn last night. Bluebell lost all co-ordination and couldn't stand or walk. She couldn't lay down properly, was constantly adjusting herself. She wet herself and starting having spasms.

I assumed the worst. She was dying. We made her comfortable and waited for the inevitable.

Fast forward to this morning. All symptoms gone. Hopping, running, playful, eating like an absolute machine. Bright eyed, nosey, basically her normal self.

She's spent the entire day demolishing grass (for anyone who saw my buttercup problem post - we spent approx 2.5 hours clearly a large patch for them this morning. I'm getting it returfed but that's another story).

So yeah, it's weird. She's back to normal. I'm not letting myself think she's "better" and I'm hoping this isn't the last spurt of life that I've seen other pets have.

It's just odd. She seemed close to death last night and now she's behaving entirely normally.

OK so things took a really bad turn last night. Bluebell lost all co-ordination and couldn't stand or walk. She couldn't lay down properly, was constantly adjusting herself. She wet herself and starting having spasms.

I assumed the worst. She was dying. We made her comfortable and waited for the inevitable.

Fast forward to this morning. All symptoms gone. Hopping, running, playful, eating like an absolute machine. Bright eyed, nosey, basically her normal self.

She's spent the entire day demolishing grass (for anyone who saw my buttercup problem post - we spent approx 2.5 hours clearly a large patch for them this morning. I'm getting it returfed but that's another story).

So yeah, it's weird. She's back to normal. I'm not letting myself think she's "better" and I'm hoping this isn't the last spurt of life that I've seen other pets have.

It's just odd. She seemed close to death last night and now she's behaving entirely normally.

Gosh, what a frightening event. Have you contacted the Vet for advice ? I really would do so as Blue has clearly had some sort of neurological episode. The Vet may recommend a 28 day course of Panucur to cover for EC, which would be a prime suspect with regards to the cause of her symptoms. Or she may have had a CVA ( a stroke).

Have you noticed that her eye balls are flicking from side to side or up and down at all ?

Gosh, what a frightening event. Have you contacted the Vet for advice ? I really would do so as Blue has clearly had some sort of neurological episode. The Vet may recommend a 28 day course of Panucur to cover for EC, which would be a prime suspect with regards to the cause of her symptoms. Or she may have had a CVA ( a stroke).

Have you noticed that her eye balls are flicking from side to side or up and down at all ?

Her eyes were just 'sad' if that makes sense. She was just really, really upset. She didn't have a seizure. The spasms were involuntary but they were mainly in her back legs and her shoulders. She was able to recognise us and food and was still aware of her surroundings if you know what I mean. She just was very upset.

I can't believe the difference with her today. Would EC keep showing symptoms?

Her eyes were just 'sad' if that makes sense. She was just really, really upset. She didn't have a seizure. The spasms were involuntary but they were mainly in her back legs and her shoulders. She was able to recognise us and food and was still aware of her surroundings if you know what I mean. She just was very upset.

I can't believe the difference with her today. Would EC keep showing symptoms?

Without witnessing the episode myself I really cant say if it is definitely EC related. The 'spasms' may have been due to an acute episode of spinal pain due to severe arthritis.

I really do urge you to take her to the Vet to be examined as Bluebell is clearly 'not right' and the sooner the problem is identified and treated the better.

Back