• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reasons for drinking less?

Graciee

Staff member
So Atticus (touch wood) seems okay in himself, he's eating fine, begging for a treat, bouncy - but he is drinking less than usual.

He normally drinks a very large amount but he's only drinking probably half his normal amount per 24 hours.

Last Wednesday he had the triple vac, since then he's been more unwell than usual with his gut issues, more splats than before, Idk if it's a stress reaction to going to the vets, hopefully it'll settle down. (I do think his gut issues are linked with his mental state, sorry if that sounds insane [emoji38])

Anyone got any ideas about the water intake? Worried about him, even though he seems totally fine in himself.

TIA x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I think that he's presenting well is a positive. Boo drinks loads apart from when she is ill - this is a weirdo habit though & it wouldn't surprise me if its unique to her. She stops completely.

Could it be weather related ?- I rarely see Mouse drink in the average day but I do when its hot out, even though the house is much cooler. Its been wet & cold for 2 weeks here

He does suffer with his vacs though doesn't he. BTW doesn't sound stupid too me - stress has huge impact on physical health for bunnies & people

I think that he's presenting well is a positive. Boo drinks loads apart from when she is ill - this is a weirdo habit though & it wouldn't surprise me if its unique to her. She stops completely.

Could it be weather related ?- I rarely see Mouse drink in the average day but I do when its hot out, even though the house is much cooler. Its been wet & cold for 2 weeks here

He does suffer with his vacs though doesn't he. BTW doesn't sound stupid too me - stress has huge impact on physical health for bunnies & people

Yea I'm wondering if it's the start of something, it's happened two days in a row now, it's noticeable too, because he drinks so much normally.

Its been really hot here the past week, stormy with rain, but very sunny and hot in between, so I wouldn't expect him to drink less than usual tbh.

I'm not sure if it's the vacs but any disruption or stress seems to make his gut worse than the usual bad it's always at. Also running around a lot seems to make it worse I've noticed. Just not sure if the vac has made him unwell, the gut stuff is pretty standard and I'm not worried about it, but the half his daily amount of water doesn't seem right to me Idk.

rabbits can drink anywhere from 50-150ml / kg of body weight a day.. it can vary. I feel like it increasing (or decreasing) is a cause for concern but to what extent ig, that I'm not sure with :(

Even if from stress a drastic change would concern me. Perhaps monitor him.
If he has a bottle make sure it is working well.
Also, I have municipal water and after heavy rain or high temps they add more chemicals that change taste of water.
Sending vibes he remains healthy.

Maybe try using some bottled water if you dont already do so. I am assuming he drinks from a bowl ? If not then I'd put a bowl of water down as well has him having a sipper bottle. I cant remember if his gut issues mean he never has fresh veg/herbs etc ? If he does has he been eating more of these lately ? If so he'll obviously be getting some hydration from them.

Hopefully it's because he's feeling a tad low after the vacs and will return to normal soon. Fingers crossed. X

Maybe try using some bottled water if you dont already do so. I am assuming he drinks from a bowl ? If not then I'd put a bowl of water down as well has him having a sipper bottle. I cant remember if his gut issues mean he never has fresh veg/herbs etc ? If he does has he been eating more of these lately ? If so he'll obviously be getting some hydration from them.

Yea he has bottled water, in a bowl, always has done. Yep no fresh food unfortunately doesn't go well when he does [emoji51]

rabbits can drink anywhere from 50-150ml / kg of body weight a day.. it can vary. I feel like it increasing (or decreasing) is a cause for concern but to what extent ig, that I'm not sure with :(
He normally drinks a lot more than that tbh, but yea I agree I just don't know what it means etc :(

Even if from stress a drastic change would concern me. Perhaps monitor him.
If he has a bottle make sure it is working well.
Also, I have municipal water and after heavy rain or high temps they add more chemicals that change taste of water.
Sending vibes he remains healthy.
Thanks, yes keeping a close eye on him, but just not sure what it could mean

Back