• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First Time Rabbit Owners - Advice please

JayK_2020

New Kit
Hi all,

Myself, my partner and our little girl are going to be first time bunny owners in the next 2 weeks. We are getting 2 rabbits, one boy and one could be either or. Already have them booked in to be neutered and checked by our vet.

We have a hutch already, a two tiered job that seems large enough for both to live in when not out in the run. I have lined the floors with Lino already and I’m just wondering What else I should put down as bedding. Both bunny’s are litter trained already.

Do we put food and litter trays on each floor? I’ll put water on both but just want to do the best we can.

What toys do people recommend?

Thanks and sorry for the questions.

Welcome! If you have put lino down you don't need any "bedding". I have 2 litter trays, a bigger one and a small one, line them with newspaper or similar and top up with Hay. Most Rabbits like to sit eating the hay and sometimes lie in them. Rabbits lie to eat and pooh at the same time. Bowls for water are preferred over a bottle. Are you going to keep them separate as you are not sure which sex one is and how old are they? Girls can get pregnant quite young which isn't good for them, and 2 rabbits of the same sex can fight when they reach puberty. Have a look on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website for lots of excellent advice.

Back