• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor hutch house 2 rabbits

raimon

New Kit
Hi,

First time rabbit owners question (WILL BE)

Any good value hutches to house 2 medium size rabbits (Mini Lops Size). The issue is we are looking at moving house soon, so don't want a hutch too big to move. Just looking for a good size hutch atm, once we have moved then we will build a large permanent housing. Currently we are looking at a simple hutch. We will have a separate run for garden playing.

All the hutches i seen doesn't look that big to house 2 rabbits. The hutch is mainly for sleeping in/quiet days and they will have plenty outdoor play.

But this is the kind of design we are looking for.
https://www.feelgooduk.net/double-rabbit-hutch-guinea-pig-house-cage-pen-home

Thanks

For the same money you can get a 5' 2-tier hutch from Pets at Home. The Bluebell hutch from PAH is very popular.

For the same money you can get a 5' 2-tier hutch from Pets at Home. The Bluebell hutch from PAH is very popular.

Have you had experience with this hutch, reviews are average. There aren't pull out trays and quality doesn't look great.

Have you had experience with this hutch, reviews are average. There aren't pull out trays and quality doesn't look great.

I would imagine that the quality is similar to the hutch you have linked to but the Bluebell is significantly bigger therefore being more suitable and better value for money. For the same price I would without doubt trade the larger size for the pull out trays.

Unfortunately, it's out of stock at the moment, or I would have recommended this as an alternative https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...er-apex-6ft-hutch-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs. Again it's not amazing quality but falls into the category of "you get what you pay for". I have some as temporary accommodation whilst I am doing a major refurb and I would call them fit for purpose.

I would imagine that the quality is similar to the hutch you have linked to but the Bluebell is significantly bigger therefore being more suitable and better value for money. For the same price I would without doubt trade the larger size for the pull out trays.

Unfortunately, it's out of stock at the moment, or I would have recommended this as an alternative https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...er-apex-6ft-hutch-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs. Again it's not amazing quality but falls into the category of "you get what you pay for". I have some as temporary accommodation whilst I am doing a major refurb and I would call them fit for purpose.

I have one of these but the quality is not half as good as the Bluebell.

As already mentioned, we are going to move house soon, so want something temporarily do.

I wouldn’t advise keepIng rabbits in accommodation that is too small or not of adequate quality even for a short time. I would personally wait until you have moved to get your rabbits, if I was in your situation.

I have one of these but the quality is not half as good as the Bluebell.

Interesting. I have had both but I rate the apex one and the Tulip Cottage better than the Bluebell. The wood of the Bluebell is far too soft for my liking. I think both are inadequate to be honest, neither are fox proof which is a very important factor.

I wouldn’t advise keepIng rabbits in accommodation that is too small or not of adequate quality even for a short time. I would personally wait until you have moved to get your rabbits, if I was in your situation.

That sounds like the most appropriate advice

In the ideal world yes. But when the Mrs and daughter say they like to get one now then it makes you feel bad for not doing so.

Not according to the reviews

Not according to the reviews

There are only 5 reviews with the one you linked to, it is quite possible that the people that reviewed it have nothing better to compare it with so are happy with what they got. It, quite simply, is too small for rabbits - even small ones.

Both that and the P@H hutch are made of dried fir, it's a very lightweight material ideal for transporting as not heavy but not durable either. The floor and back panels of this type of hutch are not solid and are also made as lightweight as possible, they disintegrate easily when they get wet. A determined rabbit can chew its way out of the hutch and predators can easily break their way in.

Anyone else has suggestion on bigger housing that's good quality and similar design to the one i linked.

A lot of the good hutch manufacturers have gone out of business in the last few years, so, sadly I can't recommend anyone. I hope someone else can.

There are only 5 reviews with the one you linked to, it is quite possible that the people that reviewed it have nothing better to compare it with so are happy with what they got. It, quite simply, is too small for rabbits - even small ones.

And they call that large hutch lol, can't imagine what medium ones will be like. Why do they make it so small, barely meeting recommended requirements.

You could look for a second hand wendy house on eg a local Facebook group. Or get a new one and screw it together so it can be dismantled to move house. They are made of thicker wood, so should move ok. Prices of new ones may not be far off the available hutches, but will give many more years of use, a happier bunny and easier to spend time with them / clean them out. Runs can be attached via a hole / cat flap type arrangement.

The Pets at Home hutches will last long enough as a temporary housing solution. They may even transport to a new house, with care. I think pull-out floors are over-rated. The ones I have seen when I looked after friends' rabbits were flimsy and tended to fall through. They were not even easier to clean as it's difficult to get in the corners properly - a solid, flat floor is much easier to sweep out. A large litter tray with hay in means most of the mess stays in one place.

For the well being of a rabbit, there are good reasons to have a minimum size recommendation. Confining them stops their natural behaviour to run and jump. For a young bunny, it means they may not develop bones and muscle strength as they should, as well as being bored - all of which have a long term impact on health.

I'm going to come in as a pull-out tray hutch owner: it's a PITA! You don't need it if you can access all the areas, in fact it's more trouble than it's worth. I would never buy a hutch with one (this one came with our first rabbit here ;)). We've got a playhouse as their main area which I got very cheap off Gumtree and I would totally recommend it: ours is only 4'x4' but it's got plenty of space for extra levels, two litter trays (used to manage with one, damn rabbits! :lol:), two hayracks and it's easy to clean and really light. I lined it for insulation but it doesn't really need it.

Thank you for all the advice. I have decided to postpone owning rabbits for now until i have moved to a new place.

Back