• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back leg amputation

Thank you for all your advice it’s so helpful! Joey came home this afternoon and is hopping about really well and is eating and pooing like normal! We’ve been given antibiotics and pain relief by the vet and also we bought a couple sheets of vet bed that he’s using. Just trying to keep an eye on him most the day because he’s occasionally trying to itch and pull around the wound area (which has a plaster over it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear he is doing well. Hopefully the dressing can come off ASAP .

So pleased Joey is doing so well.:love:

I forgot to mention I have used puppy pads ever since instead of newspaper in his base to wee and poo on.

Bing didn't have a dressing or I don't remember one, so don't know what to advise to stop Joey.

I don't think Vimto had a dressing after the amputation, just for the ops he had before when we were trying to save the leg. There was a drain and just a few (4 or 6?) stitches.

Joey has been doing really well and he’s now very happy to be back outside finally! I see him occasionally trying to scratch his right ear with what would been his right leg and I try to help him but it doesn’t seem to do much, is there anything I can do to help?

Great news. Jane knows more what to do about his ear. I've decided to take Bing to get an ear clean, it's been nearly a year since his amputation. I do scratch his ear for him all the time but he seems a bit irritated with his ear this week.

I’m glad he is doing well :love: I’ve never had a tripod bunny so I can’t advise on the ear.

Joey has been doing really well and he’s now very happy to be back outside finally! I see him occasionally trying to scratch his right ear with what would been his right leg and I try to help him but it doesn’t seem to do much, is there anything I can do to help?

You will need to check the ear daily as Rabbits with a missing hind limb are prone to getting gunky ears/ear infections. Your Vet may be able to recommend a good ear cleaning solution to use should it become necessary.

Back