• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buttercup fears - help please

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hi guys

I'm really worried to have noticed how many buttercup leaves are on our garden, having had the rabbits on there for months.

We have only lived here since September so this is their first real summer on the grass.

I've noticed 2 or 3 buttercups which I've got out at the weed, but I've only noticed them because they flower. I had no idea what the leaves looked like and I've just realised our entire garden is covered in the leaves! I'm now really really worried in case they've ingested them.

I've done some googling but not come up with any concrete answers.

I've put some photos below, can anyone confirm whether this is in fact the dangerous leaf?

TIA x

IMG-20200615-162905.jpg

IMG-20200615-162903.jpg

IMG-20200615-162828.jpg

Yes, that's Creeping Buttercup. You may find that they are ignored by your rabbits. We have a large Oak tree and come Autumn the leaves blow into the rabbit run. I remove them regularly obviously, but I've noticed that the rabbits have no interest in them.

Yes, those are buttercups, and they need removing from areas where rabbits are able to eat them as they are toxic. The best and quickest way is to dig them out individually (eg with a trowel), complete with roots - then just keep on top of any regrowth. Otherwise, it's weedkiller, either spot weed directly on buttercups, or a general lawn type one over the whole lot - and exclude all pets from the area until it has done it's job. Personally, I avoid weedkiller if there is a chance that animals may be affected - which includes the first couple of grass cuts being completely removed, especially for such as rabbits who eat the grass rather than just walking on it.

My buns also tend to ignore the odd buttercup that I've missed, but they get whipped out as soon as I see them.

Thanks guys. Pulling them up won't be an option because there's just so many of them, it's going to leave the garden completely bare. I think it's actually going to be easier to just get it re-turfed :? what a nightmare!

We have a large Oak tree and come Autumn the leaves blow into the rabbit run. I remove them regularly obviously, but I've noticed that the rabbits have no interest in them.
Ha, ours eat fallen oak leaves, especialy if they're green and about 2 days off the tree. But not fresh, and not brown.

RE: creeping buttercup. I also agree that that's creeping buttercup. We used to get it in our lawn, and the bunnies ignored it. I pulled the leaves off (didn't manage to get the roots) and the plants gave up pretty quick. You might be able to hoe the tops off a few times a year and sweep them up?

If the buttercups are not removed / killed, they will regrow through new turf. Just work on a small area at a time and maybe re-sow with grass seed and a few handsful of compost as you go along.

Thanks guys. We had a chat last night and decided at the weekend we're going to start by making one safe area, where we'll pull them up by root and so the rabbits can get some outdoor time. We'll then keep working around the garden.

I'm pretty sure they're ignoring it as there's a lot of it and they're not getting ill. But now I know the risk, it seems a little irresponsible to put them back out until I'm sure I've cleared some away.

plant and wood identification

Hi guys

I'm really worried to have noticed how many buttercup leaves are on our garden, having had the rabbits on there for months.

We have only lived here since September so this is their first real summer on the grass.

I've noticed 2 or 3 buttercups which I've got out at the weed, but I've only noticed them because they flower. I had no idea what the leaves looked like and I've just realised our entire garden is covered in the leaves! I'm now really really worried in case they've ingested them.

I've done some googling but not come up with any concrete answers.

I've put some photos below, can anyone confirm whether this is in fact the dangerous leaf?

TIA x

IMG-20200615-162905.jpg

IMG-20200615-162903.jpg

IMG-20200615-162828.jpg
dear-xlaurax,-your first picture is perhaps the best,here is a link for plants and trees--http://www.thesprucepets.com you are correct,there are bad/good plants and trees.--I cut weeds/twigs 10 months-out of the year x 15 years- gradually learning what was edible,and there are look alikes..--there is a dandylion in one picture,that is all good even the root,--I think the weed in picture one is chilantra-sp,-it is ok ,but definetly be suspicious-check first.-I understand your concern.-- http://www.thesprucepets.com/safewoods-and-plants-for-rabbits-1239351 sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:love::wave:

Back