• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just a question re diet...

Supreme Science is made by the same company that make russel rabbit but is a much better food. I prefer it over excel.

You can email supreme and they send you a sample or you might be able to get it through your vets. You can also order online from www.petplanet.co.uk it does comes in sacks aswell as the 2kg (ish) bags.

I collated the nutritional contents of a couple of the available pellets here:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/rabbitfood.asp

For the survey I would also ask whether it is a back teeth or front teeth problem (or both). Another thing I have wonder is whether water bottles could play apart in front teeth problems, some buns really seem to yank on the bottle to drink.

Tam

supreme science

hi again,

thanks for the links, unfortunately it doesnt come in large sacks of which i buy for the number of buns i have, one packet wouldnt feed even one rabbit for a week lol never mind a month :lol:

Ive tried the actual manufacteres site and am going to write see if they come in large sacks which is more beneficial to me. I suppose its laziness as well, i can go down to our local petshop order all my food at one time, (ratties, hamsters, rabbits, chillas, pony feed, degus, piggies etc) and they deliver it all in one go, i know how much is being used and how much i need to buy and stuff. its conveneicne really as i dont have a car (that is hilarious considering i live on a farm in the middle of nowmans land) :lol: :lol: :p . If i could buy everything i need from one place i suppose it would be ideal, i try to shop locally due to transport problems, and well we all know what pets athome and large pet hypermarkets are like, so i try to do business with local people i know and can advise hehhehe, gosh i think if i shopped elsewhere my poor shop would go bust lol. oh good point on the question, does everyone use water bottles here?

I give mines a huge ceramic dog bowl filled with water on a little platform so they cant get it dirty, i also have bottles, but they seem to prefer the bowl due to the amount of times that is filled compared to the bottles. i always thought it more natural for a bunny to lap water than drink from the bottle, only because, we have a bun who likes to completely destroy the hanging bottles, she decimates them, she tosses them about the stable, stands on them, chews a little, poops on them ugh, shes a minx lol

Yep, you can get supreme science in 10kg sacks as well as 1.5kg bags. Does your local petshop stock russel rabbit? If so they can probably order the supreme science too.

I find one of the 1.5kg bags will do a single rabbit about 3 weeks. If your feeding that much a week per bun then your giving too many pellets :)

Tam

Ive had buns since i was a kid, and to be perfectly honest ive never came across the tooth problems that are about nowadays than just recently in the last five years possibly more.

Im not sure why this is,

I think half the problem is that in the past, it wasn't diagnosed. Rabbits just died (as they still often do with most people) and the cause was unknown because vets were not really an option...
Or is it possible that in the past, people used to feed more fresh greens as they used to eat more of the stuff themselves too? Who knows...

Yes, I get the 10kg bags of SS as well.

Vera

science feed

Hi again,

I guess i feed my rabbits too much, ive managed to get 8 buns mix of boys and girls neutered of course, apart from 2 females who ar awaiting to be spayed.

I fill up 3 large dog bowls, in their stable, and let them feed themselves type stuff, i had two and the food was gone by next morning, so i added an extra, it helped to introduce them by having lots of small bowls food, to avoid scrapping ,which seemed to have helped, as our wee lop david bunny smallest rabbit ive ever had, compared to the others hes so teeny, pics on the photothingmejig, to see difference in sizes, he tends to be a bit of a bully, nothing serious, but he does nip a few bottoms, when they are eating, i suppose his way of being top bun even tho hes the smallest lol, he will nip a bottom when they are eating out one bowl, then he sees someone else at a bowl and if he overeats, he tends to burn it off by the way he chases everyone about, he nips their bottom one moment,snuggles up the next, so im sure its not serious, theres never been fur flying anyway. I did put cctv in the stable for the first 3 months to see if everyone was getting on, cos i know animals can scrap out of sight of the owner, but nah he may be a bit of a bully at times, but he does loves larger companions lol.

I will be going into town tomoro, and will see if i can order this science plan, as it does seem far better for them than the burgess i use just now.

thanks again

god i really know how to yack, just tell me to be quiet :oops:

:lol:

Hi Donna

Ask your Vets to order it for you, maybe they would give you discount if you ordered bulk??? bit cheeky but you never know ha ha
Sarah

Maaike

Glad you learnt something new!! :) With any raw feed diet you def have to know what you are doing, but once the mix is right and you are getting all the different nutrients in it's just as good if not better than commercial diets. I haven't ever fed raw but read lots bout it, one of those subjects that some vets aren't keen on!

Yep cats need turine (think that's right one!) in their diet which they can only get from meat. Ain't fair I don't think to deprive natural meat eaters of meat though! Same as stopping our buns from nibbling on grass or making all us humans vegetarians!

Just my thoughts though, I know lots of ppl do feed their dog on a veggie diet!

Nicola

Re: science feed

scotratrescue said:
I guess i feed my rabbits too much, ive managed to get 8 buns mix of boys and girls neutered of course, apart from 2 females who ar awaiting to be spayed.

I love the idea of have a group of buns together, it must be brilliant watching them interact. One of them members here has a group of ten bunnies together and there is a photo around somewhere of them all lined up neatly around a trough of food :D

Its surprising when you weight out how many pellets a bun should have what a small quantitiy it turns out to be. I was really surprised the first time I did it :oops: An average bun should have about 50g per day, a bit more for a larger bun. The easiest thing to do is weight it out once and then see how much it looks like in the bowls in the future. They do hoover it up though, must taste yummy, I haven't tried it myself ;) You can split it into two feeds morning and evening to make it last a little longer. They should top up hay for the rest though. They can have a bit extra if they are outside in winter as they use more keeping warm.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

buns together

Y eah its great seeing buns together, i usually get singletons and i feel so sorry for them being on their own, so i try to integrate them into the group. It is a large stable, and i have various things for them to play with and a couple hutches for their feelings of security and time out time.

Its far easier cleaning one big stable than a dozen or so hutches adn stuff, as most of them bonded together if i get a single male, hes alone, and rather than take a female for company for him from the established group, i try my best to integrate him, 10s the most i would put together tho, just for space wise. they tend to sit on top of hutches than sit inside them lol, and two get to come in at a time, when im not overly busy with the other animals.

We are learning a lot about nutrition in rabbits at college just now, and they are all for measuring out their food and stuff, i always worry that one rabbit will eat more than the rest so i put extra in so i know at least all of them are getting their fair share. its either that or having to feed them all individually and some may not be hungry at a particular time etc, so not sure how to combat that problem. i shall think on that one heheh

It is surprising how little it is when you weigh it out, Amy and Princess hoover theirs up! I give my buns a bit extra in winter, specially the two outside in hutches as they use extra energy keeping warm! I tend to split Princess's feed into three as she is obsessed with food, 2 lots in treat balls and the rest scattered or in her bowl. She goes mad for her treat balls!! She used to nip when she was very excited and hungry but she is much better now I have split it into smaller portions.

I'd love to have a whole group of rabbits, I love watching them interact. When I'm older and have my own house I think I will :) Won't be able to move for animals lol.

You must spend ages watching them scotratrescue, how do you get anything done! :lol:

Nicola

time for buns

I have a little more time on my hands due to the holidays, but i used to have a live webcam with the buns, and i watch them from the comfort of my coal fire lol. WEbcam was scrapped, cos im not fortunate to have broadband in my area at the moment, and its quite boring watching something ever five seconds, but if i get broadband i shall think about it again.

I do a lot of video work as well, as my sponsorship included a short video of buns or ratties, or piggies etc, cos i thought it better for someone to spend 12 quid a year on more than a couple letters and a postcard type stuff. since i started college ive had to scrap that as well cos of the time factor.

I do try to spend at least half an hour which isnt much really a day, bringin a couple into the house and grooming them keeps them friendly and i can keep an eye out for unusual behaviour.

dont spend as much as i would like cos its just me trying to divide my time between other commitments, animals, college, my daughter, housework groan, decorating etc.

It is hard splitting your time between everything! I don't even have a house to run and I find there aren't enough hours in the day! If I'm busy one day I try and make up for it by spending more time with the buns the next day. They get out for a good run round the garden everyday tho so that keeps them busy! I love watching them exploring the garden - keeps me entertained! :D

Just a quick note on my comment about "meat only" diets for dogs, I just read in my textbook that feeding exclusively meat is the most common cause of nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism...so not a good idea... :?

You learn something new everyday :) PPl who feed raw tend to supplement with veggies as well so it's a pretty natural diet for the dogs.

Back