• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diet of a teenage rabbit

Stator

Warren Veteran
My two girls are turning 13 this month. Both have age related issues such as cataracts, arthritis and incontinence.
However they have also got poo problems. They produce messy poos, sometimes soft, sometimes sticky and will need their bottoms cleaning.
They sometimes stop eating pellets for a short time, sometimes stop eating their vegetables but will keep eating dandelions and grass.

They have both been seen by a good vet and had tests, but there are no signs of anything serious wrong with them.

Does a very old rabbit need a very restricted diet?

I have previously cut down on things like grass and dandelions, they currently only get 1 dandelion leaf and 5-8g of grass a day, thinking I was reducing the amount of messy poo they get.
However when they have tummy problems, that's all they want to eat. So not sure if I'm going the wrong way.

I'd like to hear about what sorts of diets people have for their very old rabbits and whether they experience messy poos regularly anyway?

I wouldn't have thought any forage (grass etc) would cause soft poohs, so is it the pellets. Which pellets and how many? I have an 11 yr old and she is on the same diet as the younger buns and has no problems. My last 11 yr old was ok on a similar diet. They are a very good age :thumb:

If they are maintaining their weight, I would reduce the pellets and increase grass / hay intake. I've not had an issue with dandelions - often it's the only thing a poorly bun will eat. Have you tried higher fibre greens like willow, bramble or apple branches with leaves? They are readily available at the moment as forage. They provide some interest and are good for the teeth as well, without the side effects of some 'softer' veg.

Both of them are refusing pellets and most dried food and still have upset stomachs. Dandelions, carrot and blackberry leaves plus some grass and hay are all they are eating at the moment

Back