• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor rabbit cage

Emma1990

New Kit
Hi I need some advice on what's best to use in my indoor rabbit cage? We don't collect him untill a weeks time but I'm wanting to be prepared ready for him coming. I'm wanting to litter train him so have purchased a litter tray and safe litter to use recommended by a pet shop. Now I'm looking at what's best to line his cage with and what's the best absorbent bedding to use that is comfortable and safe?

Hay would be my recommendation for bedding and the litter tray. Rabbits need to eat a lot of it to remain healthy. They will sit in the litter tray and munch it. Absorbent litter or newspaper underneath the hay will make it easier to clean out daily.

Rabbits also need a lot of space all the time, vaccinating every year (for myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2), and neutering when old enough. They also do much better with another rabbit for company - many don't really like being held and petted, but do like snuggling up to another bun.

Last edited:
Hi, I wouldn’t recommend a cage at all tbh, a rabbit needs so much space, so you are much better with them either in a rabbit proofed room or a large run at least 8ft x 6ft as that is the minimum size recommended by the rwaf https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/why-hutch-not-enough/

I’ve removed your duplicate threads on the same subject as we don’t allow duplicate threads.

Couldn’t agree with this more! Free roaming (even just in one room) is almost always the best option in my opinion. Providing it is bunny proofed (cords and skirting boards etc protected) then this will undoubtedly provide your bunny with the happiness and freedom they need. Regarding bedding, your rabbit shouldn’t really need one if they are litter trained (sawdust can cause respiratory problems) and to be honest it’s not really necessary. Providing the room has a rug, if the floor isn’t carpet, to provide your rabbit with grip, then bedding shouldn’t be needed.

If you are worried about accidents in a carpeted room before the bunny is neutered then I’d recommend using tarpaulin or something similar to protect the carpet and make mess easily to clean, but if the flooring is laminate or tile or something similar this probably wouldn’t be needed.

I also realise that free roaming a rabbit isn’t always possible (largely due to other pets like dogs) and if this is the case, the next best alternative would be a suitable sized x pen (going off the dimensions Zoobec has already stated) but I believe that all rabbits need ‘free time’ outside of their pen for ideally a couple of hours each day in a bunny safe room, if this is the case.

Rabbits are highly intelligent animals and don’t belong in a cage, just as you wouldn’t leave a dog or cat in a cage for it’s life.

Back