• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellets Advice Please?

Gab1899

New Kit
Hi,

I’m now living in Israel, where I can’t find any of the pellet brands I’m familiar with from the UK. I’ve compiled a table of the nutritional values of the available options, and would be grateful if someone could advise as to which would be the best option for a 4-5 month old Netherland Dwarf?

Thanks so much!
a844f3a3f4e052637b1175c9594be8c5.jpg

Hi,

I’m now living in Israel, where I can’t find any of the pellet brands I’m familiar with from the UK. I’ve compiled a table of the nutritional values of the available options, and would be grateful if someone could advise as to which would be the best option for a 4-5 month old Netherland Dwarf?

Thanks so much!
a844f3a3f4e052637b1175c9594be8c5.jpg

Hello,

I would have said definitely no 1 as that has the highest fibre. However, I'm not sure why Phosphorus is so high by comparison, nor what the implications of that would be for your rabbit.

This link shows the nutritional values of all the popular rabbit pellet brands.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

Are you not able to order from Amazon online?

Thanks - yes, I also thought #1 seemed best, having read the information on that same link you posted. However, the phosphorus is abnormally high, and I couldn’t find any information as to how bad that would be...

Unfortunately, Amazon has stopped shipping to Israel due to COVID-19 (they’d only started a few months earlier)[emoji3525]

Thanks - yes, I also thought #1 seemed best, having read the information on that same link you posted. However, the phosphorus is abnormally high, and I couldn’t find any information as to how bad that would be...

Unfortunately, Amazon has stopped shipping to Israel due to COVID-19 (they’d only started a few months earlier)[emoji3525]

It's also the ratio of Calcium:phosphorus which, it says on the link, is important and that is not within the range given for the 1 choice. Could you perhaps contact the manufacturer and ask for their justification of the high Phosphorus? You could then check their response online.

I can’t seem to find any information on it. This is what it looks like, does anyone recognise it? Is it a problem that it’s a muesli-style mix and not simply pellets? And it includes corn and alfalfa... would that be an issue?
0e28f527023058b095078480bbc990a6.jpg

I only got Ash a month ago, and up until then she’d been given #3 from the list above, which has a ridiculously low 8% fibre content, so I’d like to change to something more nutritious as soon as possible. I didn’t expect it to be so difficult, but I’ve been crawling through the most obscure websites to try and find some nutritional info on so many foreign-sounding mixes... it’s giving me a headache! Any help much appreciated!

Is it a problem that it’s a muesli-style mix and not simply pellets? And it includes corn and alfalfa... would that be an issue?

Usually the muesli mix is not recommended as the buns can pick and choose what items they eat and what items they leave
Are you able to get Fibafirst sticks?
Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Usually the muesli mix is not recommended as the buns can pick and choose what items they eat and lesvy
Are you able to get Fibafirst sticks?
Richard

I’ve heard that about the muesli mixes before, which is why I asked, but the mix Ash is currently eating is a muesli and she doesn’t seem to favour any bits more than others - she eats whatever she’s given.
From a quick Google search, I can’t seem to find Fibafirst here, I will try some more tomorrow - it’s almost midnight here and I’ve spent most of my day on this!

A 4-5 month nd is almost an adult. Timothy based pellets are best for adults. along with plenty of hay and fresh greens. I have used small quantities of alfalfa based pellets with a mostly hay diet before timothy based pellets were readily available.
Corn is a grain and contains more starch than grass hay, so I make sure it is not a main ingredient.

Our rabbits are not really fed pellets. They only get a couple of pellets each per day, which are hand fed as treats. Their main diet is hay, with a bit of forage and green veg

Richard

Our rabbits are not really fed pellets. They only get a couple of pellets each per day, which are hand fed as treats. Their main diet is hay, with a bit of forage and green veg

Richard

I don’t give Ash very much, her diet does mainly consist of hay, and fresh veg, but I do want whatever pellets she does eat to be good for her...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've finally found a store here that carries a familiar brand - Beaphar!. Beaphar Nature is cereal-free, timothy-based, non-muesli, with the right amounts of fibre, protein and everything else. My only question is that it says it's suitable for rabbits from 10+ months, and Ash is only 4-5 months. Does that mean I have to continue my search?

I've finally found a store here that carries a familiar brand - Beaphar!. Beaphar Nature is cereal-free, timothy-based, non-muesli, with the right amounts of fibre, protein and everything else. My only question is that it says it's suitable for rabbits from 10+ months, and Ash is only 4-5 months. Does that mean I have to continue my search?

honestly I’d imagine it would be fine. I’m not sure why it says 10+ months as at 5-6 months you transition rabbits onto adult food anyway. since your bun is almost of that age I wouldn’t see much of an issue with it, seems like some funny marketing from them tbh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering the same... since it's the best option I've come across so far, I think I'm just going to go with it!
Thanks all for your help!

This is the response I got to my inquiry as to why it is classified as 10 months +
My problem is that I can’t find the junior version they suggest in this country:(

Good Afternoon
Thank you for your enquiry.
Rabbits under 10 months old are classed as junior and so should ideally be fed a ‘junior’ food as they are more tailored for the specific nutritional requirements for growth and development, such as higher calcium and protein.
We would advise feeding Beaphar Care+ Junior rabbit for young rabbits up to 10 months old.
Beaphar Care+ Junior Rabbit is an extremely palatable, complete, premium food specially formulated for young rabbits. The pellets are smaller in size to enable young rabbits to eat them with ease. Containing increased calcium and protein, added Vitamin A and D for growth and development, and a high fibre content of 25% to support optimal digestion.
Kind regards
Beaphar Customer Services Team

This is the response I got to my inquiry as to why it is classified as 10 months +
My problem is that I can’t find the junior version they suggest in this country:(

Good Afternoon
Thank you for your enquiry.
Rabbits under 10 months old are classed as junior and so should ideally be fed a ‘junior’ food as they are more tailored for the specific nutritional requirements for growth and development, such as higher calcium and protein.
We would advise feeding Beaphar Care+ Junior rabbit for young rabbits up to 10 months old.
Beaphar Care+ Junior Rabbit is an extremely palatable, complete, premium food specially formulated for young rabbits. The pellets are smaller in size to enable young rabbits to eat them with ease. Containing increased calcium and protein, added Vitamin A and D for growth and development, and a high fibre content of 25% to support optimal digestion.
Kind regards
Beaphar Customer Services Team

seems kinda odd to me - everywhere else (including other pellet companies and even reputable rabbit sources) agree that baby rabbits are considered adults at 6 months old. the only ones that are not are giant breeds as they have a lot more growing to do!

honestly I’d go for the adult version. he’s nearly at the 6 month mark anyhow, which is what everybody else agrees with to be the adult mark.

I honestly think it’s weird marketing on their part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back