• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plant ID help please!

Zoobec

Staff member
I saw these pretty wild flowers out walking and wondered what they are!

Ogs1xvm.jpg

mNBmrzF.jpg

Top one is comfrey.
Bottom one is a bulb - not sure what.

Ooh, I didn’t realise it was comfrey. I had a giant one in the wood but the leaves were bigger and more rounded I’d thought, perhaps because it was so big.

Looks like 'over' grape hyacinth, so the flowers have finished and the seed pods have pushed through.

Can that grow in the wild then? These plants were in woodland.

Ooh, I didn’t realise it was comfrey. I had a giant one in the wood but the leaves were bigger and more rounded I’d thought, perhaps because it was so big.

Can that grow in the wild then? These plants were in woodland.

I'm quite happy that the top one is Comfrey. There are different varieties of Comfrey. That one looks like Common Comfrey. Some of them do grow quite large.

Not confident to ID the blue flower though. Grape Hyacynth can grow in the wild as a garden escape. Can you remember if there are leaves between the flowers. I can't determine this from the pic. If so, I don't think it's Grape Hyacynth, although I can see that below the flowers there are no leaves :? Maybe take another pic if you return to the same spot and try to avoid the surrounding vegetation.

I'm quite happy that the top one is Comfrey. There are different varieties of Comfrey. That one looks like Common Comfrey. Some of them do grow quite large.

Not confident to ID the blue flower though. Grape Hyacynth can grow in the wild as a garden escape. Can you remember if there are leaves between the flowers. I can't determine this from the pic. If so, I don't think it's Grape Hyacynth, although I can see that below the flowers there are no leaves :? Maybe take another pic if you return to the same spot and try to avoid the surrounding vegetation.

Thanks for explaining the comfrey difference :thumb:

The other one, there were leaves between the flowers. I don’t think it could be a garden escapee due to the remoteness of the site, unless birds have transplanted it? I zoomed in and cropped the photo, it’s got dark green almost glossy rounded leaves between the flowers.

hrpEFjF.jpg

ETA could it be bugle?

Last edited:
Yes, I was wondering about Bugle or Ground Ivy initially, but as it has shiny leaves then it's more than likely Bugle :) It's good to get a result :)

Yes, I was wondering about Bugle or Ground Ivy initially, but as it has shiny leaves then it's more than likely Bugle :) It's good to get a result :)

The funny thing was, when we were on the walk I said to my OH what pretty flowers they were, and he said did I know what they were! Bugle sort of popped into my head but I’m less than confident on plant ID so I thought I didn’t know :lol:

Back