• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reaction to vaccine

Bless her, I'd be kicking up a right fuss if I had such a sore on my skin. The thing to look out for is any sign of the currently healthy looking skin around the wound starting to look very red and/ or if any nasty oozing starts to come from under the scab.

I'd take a print out the information about the F10 Wound Spray + Insecticide to show the Vet. He/she may not have even heard of it and so may just dismiss the idea of using it................

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-452554

Although the Vet should have a copy of the NOAH Compendium................

The wound takes so long to heal as it is really deep and needs to heal from the deep area outwards. The scab acts as a natural barrier and as long as no infection gets in healing will eventually happen.

Citronella can deter flies too so you could use something like this near where Bunny lives

https://www.amazon.co.uk/60-Day-Citronella-Diffuser-Portable-Control/dp/B076SN7VDR

Thanks so much again. I’ll let you know how she gets on Thursday. The citronella diffuser looks perfect for hanging from the roof. Going to garden centre to look for more lavender plants too (any excuse). X

Saw vet today who said she is healing ok. Still heard nothing from vaccination company.
Still on metacam. Told to put nothing on the wound, including f10. I have hung up fly tape as well as the sage, lavendar and now have mint and geraniums growing next to aviary to hopefully deter flies. Still waiting for fly screen to arrive.
https://imgur.com/a/yw9BWty
https://imgur.com/a/qzOYWJ0
I’m glad the vet thinks she’s doing ok.

Last edited:
Day 14 today. Photo in link. She is healing so slowly, but good in herself. I think the darker patch of skin is where the fur is growing back. When I looked at other places on her back, she does have grey patches of skin. The vet wants me to try her without meloxaid tomorrow but I’m not so sure. Still heard nothing from vaccine company. Feeling fed up with it all as she has suffered through no fault of her own nor mine. She is such a lovely bunny and I feel bad that she has to go through this. Also decided that once she’s healed, I will probably be changing vets although not sure where to... Sorry for the doom and gloom. I really am relieved that she’s healing albeit amazingly slowly.
https://imgur.com/a/VOyXhX6
Thanks everyone

She is beautiful :love: I’m sorry you are both going through this :cry: it’s quite a wound but it looks to be healing slowly but surely:thumb: sending lots of vibes xx

Day 14 today. Photo in link. She is healing so slowly, but good in herself. I think the darker patch of skin is where the fur is growing back. When I looked at other places on her back, she does have grey patches of skin. The vet wants me to try her without meloxaid tomorrow but I’m not so sure. Still heard nothing from vaccine company. Feeling fed up with it all as she has suffered through no fault of her own nor mine. She is such a lovely bunny and I feel bad that she has to go through this. Also decided that once she’s healed, I will probably be changing vets although not sure where to... Sorry for the doom and gloom. I really am relieved that she’s healing albeit amazingly slowly.
https://imgur.com/a/VOyXhX6
Thanks everyone

The wound definitely looks to be healing in the typical way of a severe vaccine reaction. The fur in the area may grow back a different colour, sometimes it can grow back all white. It is not likely that you or the vet will hear from the Vaccine Manufacturer unless the Vet pesters them daily and you pester them too.

But of course if it was that the Vaccine was administered incorrectly (ie some went intradermally instead of subcutaneously) then the Vaccine company cannot be held to account for that. At the very least I would not expect the Vet to be charging you for the on going treatment needed for the vaccine reaction.

I hope Bunny continues to heal well :)

I am pleased your bunny's wound is healing and she is happy in herself. It is unfortunate that this has happened but things do happen without an explanation. You could make a new thread asking for a Rabbit Savvy Vet in your area if you feel you would like to change Vets.

The wound definitely looks to be healing in the typical way of a severe vaccine reaction. The fur in the area may grow back a different colour, sometimes it can grow back all white. It is not likely that you or the vet will hear from the Vaccine Manufacturer unless the Vet pesters them daily and you pester them too.

But of course if it was that the Vaccine was administered incorrectly (ie some went intradermally instead of subcutaneously) then the Vaccine company cannot be held to account for that. At the very least I would not expect the Vet to be charging you for the on going treatment needed for the vaccine reaction.

I hope Bunny continues to heal well :)
Thank you! She’s an amazing bunny. She’s been binkying recently so if that stops with the painkiller stopping, then I’ll put her straight back on it. Interesting about the fur growing back a different colour although to be honest, I’ll be happy if any fur grows back!
The vet is treating her for free but I’m out of pocket with the travel (30 minutes each way) plus all the fly netting and extra fly deterrent plants I have bought but they are a good investment anyway. Take care.

Thank you! She’s an amazing bunny. She’s been binkying recently so if that stops with the painkiller stopping, then I’ll put her straight back on it. Interesting about the fur growing back a different colour although to be honest, I’ll be happy if any fur grows back!
The vet is treating her for free but I’m out of pocket with the travel (30 minutes each way) plus all the fly netting and extra fly deterrent plants I have bought but they are a good investment anyway. Take care.

Well I am glad that your Vet is not charging you for the treatment. With regards to stopping the Meloxicam, I very much doubt that the area is sore any more, the drug was most useful for it's anti-inflammatory properties to try to minimise further inflammation and spreading of the wound. As with all drugs, Meloxicam does not come without side effects, it can be harsh on the kidneys . So stopping it when it is probably no longer needed is always a good idea :)

Gosh. What an ordeal :( I'm so pleased she is healing well. I hope re-bonding goes well when the time is right

Thanks. Great idea. Yes I will do so once she’s healed. I’m not sure I will change as my existing vet is bunny savvy- need to wait and see how I feel in a few weeks and how she heals.

Well I am glad that your Vet is not charging you for the treatment. With regards to stopping the Meloxicam, I very much doubt that the area is sore any more, the drug was most useful for it's anti-inflammatory properties to try to minimise further inflammation and spreading of the wound. As with all drugs, Meloxicam does not come without side effects, it can be harsh on the kidneys . So stopping it when it is probably no longer needed is always a good idea :)
Ah ok thanks. She seems fine so far.

Just wanted to share some good news! Part of the scab has fallen off and it’s pretty much healed underneath. That was the shallower part of the wound so I have every hope the deeper part will do the same.
https://imgur.com/a/55DUbDm
Feeling much happier now!

Back