• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Smudge has eaten her Petflex "no chew" bandage

smudgiebun

Alpha Buck
Does anyone know if these bandages are harmful eaten??

I just went to check on her and the bandage has gone, I can't find it anywhere! So she must have eaten it and I'm really worried now

I had to Google, but seems to be like vet wrap? I would give your vets a call, I don't have any experience in rabbits but have known dogs need veterinary care after eating vet wrap as it doesn't break down.

Yeah it's like vet wrap, the vet said to monitor her as with dogs/cats they can induce vomiting but not for a rabbit.

Yeah it's like vet wrap, the vet said to monitor her as with dogs/cats they can induce vomiting but not for a rabbit.

I'd want the Vet to examine/ abdominal Xray her as if she's ingested the whole bandage she'll need admission and possible surgery :cry:

I'd want the Vet to examine/ abdominal Xray her as if she's ingested the whole bandage she'll need admission and possible surgery :cry:

Oh no really?? The bandage can scrunch up quite small so if she has eaten it then it's only the size of a large poop. The vet didn't seem to worried when I rang :(

Oh no really?? The bandage can scrunch up quite small so if she has eaten it then it's only the size of a large poop. The vet didn't seem to worried when I rang :(

I am obviously not Veterinary qualified and if the Vet has advised to just monitor Smudge then I guess you need to go with that. I am just giving a personal opinion if Smudge were my Rabbit. Sending vibes that all will pass through OK xx

I am obviously not Veterinary qualified and if the Vet has advised to just monitor Smudge then I guess you need to go with that. I am just giving a personal opinion if Smudge were my Rabbit. Sending vibes that all will pass through OK xx

Thank you, she's fine so far and it was sometime between 1.30 and 2.30 she must have done it. I just don't understand why she'd eat it when it tastes revolting, and there were no bits of it left on the floor or anything.

Yeah in the cases I've seen of dogs, I'm afraid they've needed X rays and surgery to remove as it seems to get stuck. Of course your vet has advised you to just monitor though so fingers crossed for you, at the first sight of anything unusual I would take her straight back to the vets.

Thank you, she's fine so far and it was sometime between 1.30 and 2.30 she must have done it. I just don't understand why she'd eat it when it tastes revolting, and there were no bits of it left on the floor or anything.

Monitor her poo output very carefully overnight, even if she is still eating if her output is minimal compared to normal I'd definitely want her seen by a Vet x

Thanks guys, still OK, caught her mooching around looking for dropped nuggets earlier so she's still her usual self. Fingers very much crossed!! These rabbits don't half worry us owners!

You said it can scrunch small. Can it be stuck to her,you,under bowl,or to litterbox? Hope you find it.Did you decide not to rebandage after posting/taking photos?

Last edited:
I've had a good look underneath her and can't see it stuck, but it doesn't stick to fur anyway. We've looked all around their room several times and can't find it!

She definitely had a bandage on at 1.30pm because that's when I took her downstairs to weigh her and I remember feeling it.

Smudge is fine this morning, we gave her less nuggets than usual and she went straight for the hay afterwards. There's now some nice poops where she was sat so I'm assuming they are hers. Going to clean out the litter tray soon so I can monitor poops again.

I think once she's been ok for 24 hours she's probably ok? Although I'm thinking we probably need to see this bandage come out the other end first.

My husband doesn't think we'll see the bandage come out the other end, he thinks she will have chewed it up so much that you can't see? But it's bright yellow! I've been looking at all the poops for bright yellow specks and haven't seen any yet.

Well I've found some bandage. In her POOP. It's tiny bits of bandage! She must have chewed it really really well.

Back