• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Early Sore hocks on bun and socks

romeobun

New Kit
Hello there! my bunny romeo is almost two years old or something, im not sure because i adopted him form a lady who rescued him from the streets one rainy night (noone was looking for him)
He free roams inside my room, I have mostly tiles, but half of my room is covered by rugs, and in his own space (a play pen with his litter box and food and water bowls) has a pretty soft matt.
Recently ive noticed he has a big red bump on one of his hind soles, and i know its sore hocks. My vet had warned me that pododermatitis is a common issue with bunnies. I have began applying a cream reommended by me by a friend, she said the vet told her to use it and it helped her bunny. He is not overweight at all, so im pretty sure its a problem with my flooring.
I cant change the flooring on my whole room, and he has been getting more playtime in the yard, but i was wondering if anyone knew about some sort of diy sock i could use for him, something to soften the preassure on his hind legs? I do not live in the usa, so i cant buy any specific product (here in chile theres not much available for bunnies).
I would really appreciate any imput! I want whats best for romeo, and for him to be with me for many more years!!

Last edited:
Hello there! my bunny romeo is almost two years old or something, im not sure because i adopted him form a lady who rescued him from the streets one rainy night (noone was looking for him)
He free roams inside my room, I have mostly tiles, but half of my room is covered by rugs, and in his own space (a play pen with his litter box and food and water bowls) has a pretty soft matt.
Recently ive noticed he has a big red bump on one of his hind soles, and i know its sore hocks. My vet had warned me that pododermatitis is a common issue with bunnies. I have began applying a cream reommended by me by a friend, she said the vet told her to use it and it helped her bunny. He is not overweight at all, so im pretty sure its a problem with my flooring.
I cant change the flooring on my whole room, and he has been getting more playtime in the yard, but i was wondering if anyone knew about some sort of diy sock i could use for him, something to soften the preassure on his hind legs? I do not live in the usa, so i cant buy any specific product (here in chile theres not much available for bunnies).
I would really appreciate any imput! I want whats best for romeo, and for him to be with me for many more years!!

Hello

Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of another mobility problem. So as well as addressing the sore hocks it is important to ascertain what is causing them. As well has being on a hard/abrasive base other issues may include too long toe nails, arthritis, being overweight (although it seems you can rule that one out), loss of hind leg mobility due to a neurological problem (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi) and some breed types are more prone to the condition, especially Rex Rabbits.

As for applying dressings/socks, this is not as straightforward as it may sound and in certain cases it can make matters worse-eg if any infection is present and not treated or if the dressing is applied incorrectly.

Can you post a photo of your Rabbit's sore hock ? This thread explains how to post images onto the Forum

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?475766-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

If you do apply a dressing it needs to be one that incorporates a pad with a hole cut out. The pad needs to be placed onto the hock with the hole exposing the sore area, thus minimising direct contact of the sore area with the ground. The pad acting like a corn plaster that we would use if we had a corn on our toe, if you see what I mean.

Rabbits United is a UK based Forum, not a USA one :) I dont know if a product we have here may be available in Chile, but it is extremely useful for sore hocks

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...re-c-141_169/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml-p-41660

There is some more detailed information about Sore hocks on these links:

http://www.cunivetservice.com/docs/SoreHocks.2013.pdf

https://www.hallamvets.co.uk/2018/08/06/pododermatitis-in-rabbits-sore-hocks/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

Hi! im still not super familiar with this forum, i hope my upload works! thank you so much for the info. Its a little redder than what it looks like in the picture
8dyfdI0.jpg

Last edited:
Many Rabbits have a slight calloused area like that whicj is often not noticed as it should be covered by fur. If there is some fur loss then obviously this can lead to the skin becoming sore and 'true' sore hocks can develop.

Personally at this stage I would not apply any cream to the hocks as this will both soften the skin making it more delicate and flatten the surrounding fur, needed to protect the area.

Are your Rabbits toenails the correct length ? If they are too long this will mean that the foot is not placed in the correct position when in contact with the ground and too much weight will be taken on the hocks

Take a look at this video

https://www.google.com/search?q=cor...e&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=__iXXXtW0A8CL1fAPwpatgAY32

We've got a Mini Rex with sore hocks. She has the callous you can see above but also similar areas on the foot itself.

It's an ongoing battle and they come and go. When they're sore we do put cream on but only when angry red.

Things that have helped are providing a vetbed seed into a fleece cover area to rest on in the house (only your bun is not a chewer). And a thick bed of straw in the rest of her area.

We also tried Fitch which was recommended as bedding but our other bunny eats it so not so good for us.

Back