Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9yo Chewie still doesn't like being handled!

Yesterday he let me stroke both ears at the same time without flinching! He even started licking his own front feet while he was doing it - that must be a good sign??

I'm taking this reeeealllly slow. I basically get him to come over with food, then if he seems relaxed I'll stroke his head. If he flinches I go back to just giving him food, then try again when he's relaxed again. I've been able to build up to stroking his back this way sometimes. I've not tried touching his bum or under his belly yet as I think it's way too soon!

I just feel it's important to do this, I need to get him to the point where I can pick him up in case he ever needs treatment We've had to do a lot with Smudge lately, checking her leg, medication, bandages, and I know if we tried to do any of this with Chewie it would just freak him out
    Last edited by smudgiebun; 02-06-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

I understand why you'd like Chewie to get more comfortable with handling. I had a bunny who needed daily penicillin injections for weeks on end. Problem was that he wouldn't let me touch him (he was diagnosed with ear abscesses not long after I rescued him). The only way I could do the injections was to chase him round every morning and out him in the (empty!) bathtub and do the injections in there. It was a huge faff and a lot of stress for both of us. If I'd been able to at least stroke him I could have done them on the floor very quickly and with little fuss!

Sounds like your plan to take things slowly is a good one. Hopefully Chewie will start to come round.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    I understand why you'd like Chewie to get more comfortable with handling. I had a bunny who needed daily penicillin injections for weeks on end. Problem was that he wouldn't let me touch him (he was diagnosed with ear abscesses not long after I rescued him). The only way I could do the injections was to chase him round every morning and out him in the (empty!) bathtub and do the injections in there. It was a huge faff and a lot of stress for both of us. If I'd been able to at least stroke him I could have done them on the floor very quickly and with little fuss!

Sounds like your plan to take things slowly is a good one. Hopefully Chewie will start to come round.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    Thanks yeah that's what I'm worried about!!

I've just been to lie on the floor in their room and he came up to me to take food and accepted ear strokes. He will quite happily flop nearby so that's something I suppose.

I've been surprised by Lopsy: he's mellowed in his older age XD He used to thrash about at the first sign of being picked up, but he gives it a few seconds now. I'm so proud of him He's always been fine with any kind of touching as long as all four feet are under his control and he has his face in food, and he loves being stroked to sleep, so we had a much better starting point! I totally need to get him used to being manhandled though: I plan to every summer and it just never happens! The very best of luck with Chewie, sounds like you're making really good progress so far
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    I've been surprised by Lopsy: he's mellowed in his older age XD He used to thrash about at the first sign of being picked up, but he gives it a few seconds now. I'm so proud of him He's always been fine with any kind of touching as long as all four feet are under his control and he has his face in food, and he loves being stroked to sleep, so we had a much better starting point! I totally need to get him used to being manhandled though: I plan to every summer and it just never happens! The very best of luck with Chewie, sounds like you're making really good progress so far
    Aww how old is Lopsy?

Chewie is hit and miss, some days he will let me do more than others. For some reason today he's more skittish, no idea why ☹️

Quote Originally Posted by smudgiebun View Post
    Aww how old is Lopsy?
    Only 7 We got him at almost 1.5 (we're his second home) and he was a nightmare at the vets the first three years! But he's always been outgoing and friendly

Chewie is hit and miss, some days he will let me do more than others. For some reason today he's more skittish, no idea why ☹️
    I think that's normal: we all have good and bad days!
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.