• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Have they unbonded?

honeywebb

Young Bun
New here folks so hoping you can give me some advice. I have two buns Skittle, spayed female aged 11. Mojo, neutered male, aged 9. Both buns started living together 9 years ago, bonding took about 2 weeks, wasn’t too painful on the whole (first time I’d done it) & ever since they have lived in domestic bliss. Skittle (the female) has always been Top Bun with Mojo her devoted husband trailing along in her wake...until this last couple of weeks. He is chasing her constantly. She gets fed up and nips at him, this morning they even had a brief boxing match. She’s an elderly lady & is not used to this type of treatment & I’m worried she will collapse with exhaustion. They have two large double storey hutches in the garage to run freely between via a tube & appear to be OK when in that, it’s when I let them out in the garden or in their outdoor run that it’s happening. At first it seemed he was chasing her just to hump her but now he seems more aggressive. Why has he turned? Is it because she’s old, survival of the fittest & all that? I’m reluctant to separate as I don’t want them to unbond. What are your opinions, why is this happening, is it normal, what do I do?

It could be 'spring fever', in which case it will stop soon. Or there could be a health issue with one of them that you are not aware of but the bunnies are. Are they both weeing / pooing / eating / drinking normally? Any weight changes? Moulting?

I would try to give some form of distraction so there is less chasing - scatter food, hang up bunches of herbs, apple branches, etc, toys they can play with (eg small plastic plant pots). I would also make sure they both have good access to water in bowls, so they don't dehydrate in this weather.

Hello and welcome. I agree with Shimmer, also is there another animal close-by when they are outside which might be triggering Referred Aggression? Being a grand old age, your female might have a health problem which your male is picking up on and taking advantage, seeing as how he is normally the least dominant one. Maybe keep them in for a while so you can monitor their toilet habits more closely, and you might get a clue there.

Hi Both, thanks for replying. I wondered whether it was Spring Fever but thought it was abit late in the year for that now, never seen him quite so rampant before! Neither have had their annual vet check & jabs, which were due last month, all routine stuff at our vets has been postponed due to Covid but Skittle seems fine in herself, she is eating,drinking and pooing & doesnt look any thinner. She has, however, definitely slowed down in the last couple of months and is not as bossy as she once was so i did think it was probably old age catching up with her. I put them out in the garden yesterday and he wasnt so bad with her this time and they were snuggling together so i shall just keep a close eye. Maybe hes just getting his own back after all these years of being hen-pecked!

Hi Both, thanks for replying. I wondered whether it was Spring Fever but thought it was abit late in the year for that now, never seen him quite so rampant before! Neither have had their annual vet check & jabs, which were due last month, all routine stuff at our vets has been postponed due to Covid but Skittle seems fine in herself, she is eating,drinking and pooing & doesnt look any thinner. She has, however, definitely slowed down in the last couple of months and is not as bossy as she once was so i did think it was probably old age catching up with her. I put them out in the garden yesterday and he wasnt so bad with her this time and they were snuggling together so i shall just keep a close eye. Maybe hes just getting his own back after all these years of being hen-pecked!

Possibly! :)

Back