• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smudge had her lump removed yesterday!

smudgiebun

Alpha Buck
Good news, Smudge has had her tumor removed from her front leg, I am so happy!! Does anyone have any tips for applying no chew bandages? The vet did describe to me how to do it but I'm so worried about cutting off the blood supply!!

Also is it normal for rabbits to be a bit quiet after having a procedure (she did not have a GA, she had numbing cream and was put into TI with oxygen)? She is eating her nuggets and will eat hay put in front of her but is spending a lot of time resting and not going over to the litter box. She's resting quite comfortably though, just seems tired.

Has she been prescribed pain relief ?

Re the bandages, where was the lump and is the surgical wound closed with external sutures ?

Has she been prescribed pain relief ?

Re the bandages, where was the lump and is the surgical wound closed with external sutures ?

Hi Jane yes she has Metacam 😊 the lump was on the inside of her front paw, it was removed and stitched so the bandage is just to stop her nibbling at it and to help it stay clean!

Forgot to add she already has a bandage that the vet did but we are to change it once a day so we will be attempting that soon. Which also means I've not seen what it looks like yet eek!

Hi Jane yes she has Metacam �� the lump was on the inside of her front paw, it was removed and stitched so the bandage is just to stop her nibbling at it and to help it stay clean!

Forgot to add she already has a bandage that the vet did but we are to change it once a day so we will be attempting that soon. Which also means I've not seen what it looks like yet eek!

Try to take note of how tight the bandage that the Vet applied is, so you'll have some idea as to how to apply the new one :) If you are worried that you may apply it too tightly check it regularly throughout the day to make sure her toes are not looking 'puffy' and the area above the bandage on his leg is not either. Hope he heals quickly x

Thank you yes I will be studying the bandage the vet put on!! Thanks for the tip about looking at her toes too.

She's spent most of the day resting and is a bit wary of us, she ran and hid when I got out the bin of litter pellets, I think she thought it was the pet carrier ☹️☹️

Thank you yes I will be studying the bandage the vet put on!! Thanks for the tip about looking at her toes too.

She's spent most of the day resting and is a bit wary of us, she ran and hid when I got out the bin of litter pellets, I think she thought it was the pet carrier ☹️☹️

Oh bless, hopefully she'll start to feel more like her usual self soon xx

Thank you, yes I think you're right, especially with having to go on her back. Very stressful! But this way was safest for her, as she couldn't have a GA, so I'm very glad the vet was able to remove it this way!

She's probably having to get used to the bandage on her leg too, it must feel strange.

We changed the bandage before and saw the "wound". It's very clean and you can't really see an incision. It looks like the vet did a really good job!!

Thank you, yes I think you're right, especially with having to go on her back. Very stressful! But this way was safest for her, as she couldn't have a GA, so I'm very glad the vet was able to remove it this way!

She's probably having to get used to the bandage on her leg too, it must feel strange.

We changed the bandage before and saw the "wound". It's very clean and you can't really see an incision. It looks like the vet did a really good job!!

Yes, TI should only ever be done for clinical need in exceptional cases like Smudge's. I am glad that the wound looks nice and clean and I hope that neither of you find the re-dressing sessions to be too stressful. Hopefully the dressings wont be needed for more than a few days :)

Sending loads of vibes for brave girlie Smudge. Quite an ordeal and it's good to read that she is doing so well post op. I hope she continues to heal quickly. xx

Thank you everyone for the well wishes, she is perking up a bit and doesn't seem as "quiet" as when we brought her home.

Of course ever since she came home she's been eating nuggets and greens 😂 it's just she doesn't seem to go over to the litter box as often.

I think she's just a bit fed up with the bandage perhaps?!

I put her directly in the litter box yesterday and she started eating hay, then hopped out and back over to it of her own accord so that's good.

I think I might be overanalysing her a bit too much but it's hard not to!

Thank you everyone for the well wishes, she is perking up a bit and doesn't seem as "quiet" as when we brought her home.

Of course ever since she came home she's been eating nuggets and greens �� it's just she doesn't seem to go over to the litter box as often.

I think she's just a bit fed up with the bandage perhaps?!

I put her directly in the litter box yesterday and she started eating hay, then hopped out and back over to it of her own accord so that's good.

I think I might be overanalysing her a bit too much but it's hard not to!

I understand that. I am glad that she is a bit brighter within herself x

I am most impressed that she is hopping on her bandaged leg, eating, and pooing after the ordeal she underwent to have the lump removed.
May she continue to improve until she is back to normal.
Do the vets know what type of lump she had or did they have to send it to a lab for analysis?

i'm so happy that Smudge seems to be recovering well. it must've been a great worry for you.
Pepper and Tulip say they have sent lots of good healing vibes to her too.xxx

Hope you are getting on OK with the dressings and that Smudge is not eating them !! Topping up the healing vibes for her x

Back