• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smudge had her lump removed yesterday!

Smudge would like to say Hi to everyone and thank you for the well wishes! She also wants it to be known that she does NOT like her bandage or Baytril but loooooooves her Metacam!!

She's pretty much back to her usual Smudgey self now, I'm so happy! She's running around more and being curious again and I've seen her in the litter box eating hay as normal.

I can't believe this bunny is nearly 10 years old. Love her so much!!

yfQT6fl.jpg

6R6cCAw.jpg

0lUkRQD.jpg

Look at that skinny leg 🤣 I swear these rabbits are all fluff.

Last edited:
I tried to post photos in the post above but they don't seem to be there! Oh well I'll have a look on my laptop later as it's harder on mobile.

With regards to the lump the vet just said it was a tumor but obviously without a biopsy they don't know what type. I asked if they could biopsy it so we'll see.

For the last few weeks he had injected it directly with antibiotics to shrink it because the size it was he said he couldn't even risk a local injected anaesthetic ☹️ I'm so glad it's all done now!

I tried to post photos in the post above but they don't seem to be there! Oh well I'll have a look on my laptop later as it's harder on mobile.

With regards to the lump the vet just said it was a tumor but obviously without a biopsy they don't know what type. I asked if they could biopsy it so we'll see.

For the last few weeks he had injected it directly with antibiotics to shrink it because the size it was he said he couldn't even risk a local injected anaesthetic ☹️ I'm so glad it's all done now!

I can see the photos !! So glad that Smudge is doing well now. Baytril does taste rank, so I am not surprised that she hates it. Metacam is sweet and a lot of Bunnies love it !

Is it normal for there to be a little bit of bleeding?

Every time we've changed the bandage there has been a tiny bit of blood.

Is it normal for there to be a little bit of bleeding?

Every time we've changed the bandage there has been a tiny bit of blood.

Can you take a pic of the wound and the dressing when you next change it ? A little bit of blood is OK, as long as it's not yucky gunk like/pus.

Thanks yes I will do, she only has it changed once a day so I will attempt to take a photo tomorrow!

There didn't appear to be angry yucky stuff anyway, just a spot of blood.

Have you ever tasted them? I thought about it... then thought perhaps not!! 🤣 I trust Smudge's judgement!!

Not intentionally, though I did taste critical care.:lol:
Smudge is such a strong bunny. It is nice to see the photos and to learn she is already back to being herself.
Sending you good thoughts regarding her biopsy.

Last edited:
Not intentionally, though I did taste critical care.:lol:
Smudge is such a strong bunny. It is nice to see the photos and to learn she is already back to being herself.
Sending you good thoughts regarding her biopsy.

Thank you, I didn't actually ask how long a biopsy would take so I guess it's just a waiting game!

I got some pictures of her leg today, it's hard to get because of it being on the inside of her leg!

cs71OLo.jpg

BgOCjmV.jpg

BYJWWkh.jpg

Then she started throwing her bowl at me ��
5Rhi4Xk.jpg

The wound is looking really good now and no blood on the bandage anymore!

The bandage hatred has escalated and she now throws her bowl at me and "threatens" to bite my hands. She's such a soft tart though, she never actually bites, she just pretends she's going to!!

The wound is looking really good now and no blood on the bandage anymore!

The bandage hatred has escalated and she now throws her bowl at me and "threatens" to bite my hands. She's such a soft tart though, she never actually bites, she just pretends she's going to!!

I expect if you send a pic of the wound to the Vet today he/she may say it's OK to leave the bandage off now :) So pleased that Smudge has healed quickly and that she has some 'attitude' ! I do love a Bunny with attitude :lol:

I expect if you send a pic of the wound to the Vet today he/she may say it's OK to leave the bandage off now :) So pleased that Smudge has healed quickly and that she has some 'attitude' ! I do love a Bunny with attitude :lol:

Me too :lol: don't get me wrong I do love Chewie with his shyness and adorable little face, but Smudge is just so funny when she gets playful. And she's so placid, even when she's annoyed she's not aggressive!

Smudge's biopsy results came back and it was a apocrine ductular carcinoma, which from what I've read is a cancer of the sweat gland. The prognosis is "fair to guarded" and obviously it could grow back so I guess it's a case of keeping an eye on her.

I'm glad that you've got the results back, I've no experience of this, but really hope that Smudge continues to keep well and her happy little self xx

Back