• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Quick response needed please! Dead pigeon

You could get a new fire guard but I wouldn’t bother unless it needs replacing ,if it’s not in good condition for example. I would just clean it and it would be fine.

I have decided I am going to get some supplies to make this safe for me...

Virkon S- x2 sachets
Bleach
Dettol or similar disinfectant, maybe Zoflora- petsafe of cause.
New fire guard so I can throw the old one away.
Going to fist clean it with the Virkon, leave to dry and air out
Then clean with bleach and leave to dry and air out
Then clean with the disinfectant and leave to dry and air out.

Then repeat the same process 3 days later

Do you think this will be enough?

Bleach (dilute in warm water and add some washing up liquid to aid cleaning) would be sufficient for all usual cleaning / disinfecting purposes - which would include what you need. For anything with a more specific need (eg EC), I use Virkon S.

There is no need to use a range of disinfectants. It could actually be dangerous as they should not be mixed, or used if there is a residue from one left before you use another I would not recommend using dettol or zoflora with bleach or Virkon for this reason.

Allowing the cleaned area to air dry gives a longer contact time, which helps improve the results. If you feel more secure, there is no harm in repeating after 3 days, but it is not necessary.

The fire guard could be dunked in a disinfectant solution and left to dry in the sun.

I don’t think zoflora is pet safe. I agree with Shimmer about not needing multiple disinfectants.

Back