• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sibling rivalry

So I’ve had my two bunnies since they were 8 weeks (we got them from a trusted breeder but I now know to adopt and not shop) they are now 16weeks and we’ve had no problems until the last few weeks when we let them out of the hutch in the house one of the bunnies will chase the other back into the hutch when the other comes out and will bite her and her hair will come out with it but when they’re in the hutch together 99% of the time they’re fine, has anyone got any advice because I want them to be able to be together but at this rate I’m debating splitting them up :(

So I’ve had my two bunnies since they were 8 weeks (we got them from a trusted breeder but I now know to adopt and not shop) they are now 16weeks and we’ve had no problems until the last few weeks when we let them out of the hutch in the house one of the bunnies will chase the other back into the hutch when the other comes out and will bite her and her hair will come out with it but when they’re in the hutch together 99% of the time they’re fine, has anyone got any advice because I want them to be able to be together but at this rate I’m debating splitting them up :(

welcome to RU. At 16 weeks they'll be hitting puberty big style & its normal for these issues to arise. You don't mention sex. If you have a male & female they defo need spitting up or 2 bunnies will be 8 or so in a month. Even if they are same sex my opinion would still be to separate & rebond when they are both neutered (if thats your plan), Young bunnies are hard to sex so you might not have what you thought you had

I agree with J&B. Have a look on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website, there's a wealth of info about bunnies and if you join you will receive a super Magazine every month with tons of useful articles. When you take on 2 baby rabbits, one will always be the dominant one but this can lead to fights as they get older. Check them regularly to make sure which sex they are or you could finish up with babies and the female will be too young really to have them.

Thank you all, they’re two girls or so we think we will keep checking the sex and if they keep fighting we will separate and rebound them thank you all for your help it was very much appreciated

Back