• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Letting bunny out in the garden

Spurschic1

New Kit
Hi,

I have a rescue bunny called Freddie, we’ve had him for 8 months now and he’s a house bunny. We have a large run and hutch attached in the garden but he seems to hate it and just goes inside the hutch and stays there, venturing out only briefly. I’m wanting to let him out in the garden to run freely but quite nervous. Does anyone have any advice? Never let a house bunny roam outside.

Thanks 😊

My house bunnies don’t go outside, and seem quite happy. My rabbits prefer things to be routine and normal!

My house bunnies go into the garden, they are never ever left alone. This is for various reasons ie eating something they shouldnt, digging under the fence and more recently due a large ginger tom cat who tried to sneak up on Susan.
My issue is getting them to come back in on my instructions, Rups is reasonably behaved Susan, does not want to come in till she is ready.Bribery is a must!

They also need somewhere they can feel safe, mine have tubes . chimney pots and caves they can go in, maybe put your vet carrier out for Freddie to have as his cave?

They also need somewhere they can feel safe, mine have tubes . chimney pots and caves they can go in, maybe put your vet carrier out for Freddie to have as his cave?

Similar to above, I would put a hidey hole in the run to help build his confidence up to venture out. A cardboard box with two rabbit sized holes near to the hutch would be my first step.
Once he realises it is safe outside I'm sure he will enjoy going out.

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Hi all, thanks for your help, it’s very much appreciated. Like you say he may just feel safe and happy indoors. I may just leave the door open when he’s supervised and see if he ventures out. Thanks again ��

Hi,

I have a rescue bunny called Freddie, we’ve had him for 8 months now and he’s a house bunny. We have a large run and hutch attached in the garden but he seems to hate it and just goes inside the hutch and stays there, venturing out only briefly. I’m wanting to let him out in the garden to run freely but quite nervous. Does anyone have any advice? Never let a house bunny roam outside.

Thanks ��

Not a criticism but perhaps a pal for him might make him feel more confident?

My house bunnies don’t go outside, and seem quite happy. My rabbits prefer things to be routine and normal!

I agree with this. I also have two free roam house bunnies who don’t go outside (mainly because one is extremely fearful and our garden is not secure anyways). But honestly they don’t miss out on anything, try ‘bringing the outdoors in’ by giving them fresh grass/forage etc which mine get daily. And provide natural chew toys such as apple sticks as well as materials to dig on such as cardboard to exhibit natural behaviours.

Great advice from Cuthbert and Dillon.
I have 2 house bunnies who live inside but who love outside. We are fortunate that our garden is well protected and we supervise from the kitchen. They also have a garage that the bunnies also go in and can hide if they wish.
Our make bunny makes his own way in to the house when he likes and direct stay out all day. Our female is quite the opposite and she has to be shepherded in at bedtime. And there’s always a treat fir them when they come in.
A companion bunny would be a great confidence boost.

Hi,
Thanks again for your help. Unfortunately I don’t think I can get a companion for him as he suffers with bad snuffles. When I got him from the rescue centre he had been untreated and so is prone to reoccurring episodes. At least from what I’ve read about it I don’t think I can?

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will correct me in a few minutes, but I think your bun's ideal companion would be another snuffles bun

Richard

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will correct me in a few minutes, but I think your bun's ideal companion would be another snuffles bun

Richard

Yup - you said what I was thinking. I know it's a great undertaking but I agree that perhaps a rescue bun with shared snuffles would be something worth considering.

Back