• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit is eating litter!

gracieweg

Young Bun
I’ve had my bunny for just over a month and yesterday bought some wood pellet litter to go in his litter tray. Previously I have just used puppy pads and newspaper and have had no problems with him chewing on it. He isn’t a big chewer as it is, and he has plenty of chew toys but doesn’t seem to be bothered by any of them. When I put the wood pellets in his litter tray yesterday afternoon he had a sniff of it but wasn’t too bothered by it. When I gave him his dinner an hour of two later I checked his litter tray to see if he’d used it, and he had. He had moved the pellets round and organised them to his liking (which he does with pretty much everything he has) and had done his business in it. Every evening he comes for cuddles on the sofa and he loves to run over the back of it to get some fuss from everyone. We put his litter tray close to us in case he needs to ‘go’. We also put a small handful of hay in the side of the litter tray so he can have a munch on it whilst we watch tv. Last night I saw him eating what I assumed to be his hay, but it sounded a bit more crunchy. I turned him round to see what he was eating and it was the litter! It was fresh and unused but surely it can’t be good for him. I kept telling him no, which he usually understands and will stop doing whatever it is he is trying to do. He just kept going back to it and I ended up trying to scoop out the rest of the litter, although he wasn’t very happy about it and kept nudging my hand out of the way. This morning I came down to check on him and give him some breakfast, and by then he usually has eaten the majority of the hay in his hay feeder (which I fill up before bed so he can eat it early in the morning before I wake up). He had eaten very little, if any, which is very unlike him. I gave him some veggies and a very small amount of pellets which he finished completely.
I’m worried that he has eaten the litter pellets rather than his hay. It doesn’t look like there are any pellets missing, but they do expand once they get wet which could be why the tray doesn’t look empty.
He seems completely fine in himself, although I am slightly worried about how many pellets he has eaten. I read that paper and wood based litter is safe, and on the bag it says that it is safe for small animals. Can someone please let me know if I should switch to a different kind of litter, and if I should be more concerned about his little tummy?

He may be craving fiber. Some people buy hay from farmers locally and use it as litter.
Do not use pelleted wood litter for a bunny who eats it. Wood is difficult to digest.
Your bunny is still eating. Watch that he continues to poo and eat. If he stops call your vet asap.
Bunnies should have lots of hay.

He has plenty of hay, it’s in a rack above his litter tray so it doesn’t get dirty. He also has a big box of straw which he likes to sleep/burrow in and it is topped with a layer of hay so he can eat it when he wants to. He has been pooping as normal but I will keep an eye on him for the next few days

Back