• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New here

Bumblebea

New Kit
Hi everyone!

I'm new here! Hope you're all keeping well and safe.

I don't get my bunnies until the end of June but I have a few questions I hope can be cleared up before I pick them up!

I'm getting a male and female duo, siblings. I will be neutering and spaying both as soon as they are mature.

My query is, do I need to separate them when I get them home and then rebond after they have both been neutered and recovered?

I have read so many things I can't get my head around it! I am able to separate if need be but wasn't sure if it was unnecessary?

Thanks so much in advance, I'm sure I'll be here time and time again when they arrive 😊

Hi and welcome. If the babies are only 8 weeks old you can keep them together for support etc. When they reach around 12 weeks you will need to separate them to avoid the female becoming pregnant. When the boy is 6 weeks post neuter you can re-introduce them while you wait for the female to become old enough to be spayed. Some Vets will neuter bunnies earlier than others so by the time they are 4 months old, say, they could both be neutered together.

Check with your vet when they recommend neutering. They will need vaccinating first anyway (for Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2). I would look at getting the boy done as soon as he is ready (usually around 12 weeks). Girls may have to be 6 months old, although some vets will spay earlier. Boys can remain fertile for several weeks after they are neutered, so there is a risk of a pregnancy still. You need to be prepared to separate them - as they reach adolescence, they may start to show hormonal behaviour and fights can occur - which is to be avoided as it makes re-bonding more difficult (possibly as well as some nasty injuries to deal with).

Thanks so much for the advice! I have made provisions to separate them anyway so that's great, hopefully they won't have to be separated for too long!

Would I just follow the bonding process after the male has been neutered and recovered (at least 6 weeks), neutral space etc?

Thanks so much for the advice! I have made provisions to separate them anyway so that's great, hopefully they won't have to be separated for too long!

Would I just follow the bonding process after the male has been neutered and recovered (at least 6 weeks), neutral space etc?

If you have separated them then got the boy neutered, after about 6 weeks you would be able to re-introduce them preferably in a neutral place but not in the female's space. They should go back together quickly as their bond shouldn't have been broken. You really need to check the sex of the bunnies regularly as they might turn out to be different to what was originally thought.

Back