Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Sneezing update

  1. #1

    Default Sneezing update

    Re my last post.

    My male (not the bunny who has been sneezing with no discharge on and off for the last week) has just sneezed with a small amount of white discharge, so Iím assuming he has got snuffles. We are going to take them both to the vet tomorrow morning providing there isnít some miracle that it was just a one off and neither sneeze again - unlikely I know. It is also a bank holiday as well as covid which will make this difficult and expensive, so in the unlikely event that neither of them show any more signs then I will likely get them checked later in the week anyways.

    Do you think her sneezing was the start of snuffles and sheís passed it onto him (he was already vulnerable and heís had it before)? But so far today she hasnít sneezed at all. Iíve heard some rabbits can recover from mild cases of snuffles on their own but I donít know if this is fact. On the other hand, I think itís likely sheís already exposed if it was him who got it first (and her sneezing occasionally is something else) as she grooms him constantly and they obviously live in the same space. However, last time the male had it, the female never got it so I donít know.

    Both are acting completely normal and eating fine apart from the male sneezing a few times.

    Also, if/when I do go, should I take them to the vets in separate carriers to reduce risk of transmission? They have done this before, but my female is especially anxious so I donít know if being in the same carrier would help this.

    All advice/help appreciated.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mismatchbunnies View Post
    Re my last post.

    My male (not the bunny who has been sneezing with no discharge on and off for the last week) has just sneezed with a small amount of white discharge, so I’m assuming he has got snuffles. We are going to take them both to the vet tomorrow morning providing there isn’t some miracle that it was just a one off and neither sneeze again - unlikely I know. It is also a bank holiday as well as covid which will make this difficult and expensive, so in the unlikely event that neither of them show any more signs then I will likely get them checked later in the week anyways.

    Do you think her sneezing was the start of snuffles and she’s passed it onto him (he was already vulnerable and he’s had it before)? But so far today she hasn’t sneezed at all. I’ve heard some rabbits can recover from mild cases of snuffles on their own but I don’t know if this is fact. On the other hand, I think it’s likely she’s already exposed if it was him who got it first (and her sneezing occasionally is something else) as she grooms him constantly and they obviously live in the same space. However, last time the male had it, the female never got it so I don’t know.

    Both are acting completely normal and eating fine apart from the male sneezing a few times.

    Also, if/when I do go, should I take them to the vets in separate carriers to reduce risk of transmission? They have done this before, but my female is especially anxious so I don’t know if being in the same carrier would help this.

    All advice/help appreciated.
    Rabbits can be asymptomatic carriers of the various bacteria that cause the symptoms of 'Snuffles'. It is not alway Pasteurella, but that is usually the prime suspect. Abx treatment may resolve clinical symptoms, but may not totally eradicate the bacteria. The symptoms can re-occur, especially at times at stress or concurrent illness. There is no point in separating the Rabbits now, any disease transmission will already have occurred and the stress of separation may cause stress and exacerbate the problem.

    Some additional information here :

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-h...bbit-snuffles/

    https://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...se_Rabbits.pdf

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respira...spira_main.htm

    https://www.lbah.com/rabbit/pasteurella-rabbit/


    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Rabbits can be asymptomatic carriers of the various bacteria that cause the symptoms of 'Snuffles'. It is not alway Pasteurella, but that is usually the prime suspect. Abx treatment may resolve clinical symptoms, but may not totally eradicate the bacteria. The symptoms can re-occur, especially at times at stress or concurrent illness. There is no point in separating the Rabbits now, any disease transmission will already have occurred and the stress of separation may cause stress and exacerbate the problem.

    Some additional information here :

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-h...bbit-snuffles/

    https://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...se_Rabbits.pdf

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respira...spira_main.htm

    https://www.lbah.com/rabbit/pasteurella-rabbit/
    Thanks for the help again. Neither rabbits have sneezed since (touch wood). The discharge was white but it was also tiny (3 tiny dots not much bigger than a needle in width). It wasnít even a quarter of the amount that he had last time he had snuffles. Is it possible he had something stuck in his nose? But if so why would it be white? He was in he litter tray when it happened and was eating hay (can be fairly dusty despite shaking it). I really donít know what to think.

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    17,969

    Default

    Is it Timothy Hay?

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mismatchbunnies View Post
    Thanks for the help again. Neither rabbits have sneezed since (touch wood). The discharge was white but it was also tiny (3 tiny dots not much bigger than a needle in width). It wasn’t even a quarter of the amount that he had last time he had snuffles. Is it possible he had something stuck in his nose? But if so why would it be white? He was in he litter tray when it happened and was eating hay (can be fairly dusty despite shaking it). I really don’t know what to think.
    Personally I would want to try to get both Rabbits examined by a Vet if the sneezing is an ongoing issue given that one Rabbit does have a past history of having a RTI. Without an examination it's really impossible to say if the sneezing is or is not related to active infection or some other cause. I would call the Vet tomorrow, ie after the Bank Holiday, explain the exact situation as you have on here and seek their advice. In the current Covid 19 situation the Vet may say just 'watch and wait' or he/she may agree that you bring both Rabbits in to be examined. As I said, personally I'd be pushing hard for the latter. Good luck


    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

  6. #6

    Default

    Iíve just got off the phone from the vets (after waiting 4 hours for the vet to actually give me a call back). I explained the situation and she seemed very dismissive and quite rude (I understand they are under a lot of pressure and challenging circumstances). After explaining about two sentenceís worth of whatís been going on she said she could prescribe baytril to be picked up tomorrow without examining them, despite the bunnies having limited symptoms (especially in comparison to last time). My male rabbit has been sneezing and some white discharge (seemingly more clear case of snuffles) as opposed to my female who has been sneezing without/very little discharge for about a week - I only see a little damp on her nose occasionally and it doesnít seem white. Therefore, Iím not 100% convinced it is snuffles and so I asked if we could be seen by a vet for an examination. Not to mention it doesnít seem to have got worse and they are both acting and eating normally otherwise. Anyways weíve got an appointment booked for tomorrow morning so I hope thatíll give us some answers.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Is it Timothy Hay?
    Sorry I forgot to reply to this. Yes it is Small Pet Select 2nd Cutting which we have found to be fairly dusty (especially nearer to the bottom of the box which is what we are using currently), so it is a possibility that this could cause the problems, but wouldnít it have shown sooner? We have had this hay since January now and have gotten to the bottom of the box once before. Either way we have just ordered a 5kg box of Timothy hay from HayBox in the hope it is less dusty (as the website claims), so weíll see if that helps and if we can switch.

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mismatchbunnies View Post
    I’ve just got off the phone from the vets (after waiting 4 hours for the vet to actually give me a call back). I explained the situation and she seemed very dismissive and quite rude (I understand they are under a lot of pressure and challenging circumstances). After explaining about two sentence’s worth of what’s been going on she said she could prescribe baytril to be picked up tomorrow without examining them, despite the bunnies having limited symptoms (especially in comparison to last time). My male rabbit has been sneezing and some white discharge (seemingly more clear case of snuffles) as opposed to my female who has been sneezing without/very little discharge for about a week - I only see a little damp on her nose occasionally and it doesn’t seem white. Therefore, I’m not 100% convinced it is snuffles and so I asked if we could be seen by a vet for an examination. Not to mention it doesn’t seem to have got worse and they are both acting and eating normally otherwise. Anyways we’ve got an appointment booked for tomorrow morning so I hope that’ll give us some answers.
    I am glad that the Rabbits will both be examined rather than just having abx thrown at an undiagnosed problem. That could do more harm than good.


    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I am glad that the Rabbits will both be examined rather than just having abx thrown at an undiagnosed problem. That could do more harm than good.
    Yes I agree as my female is stasis prone and I know antibiotics can mess with the gut bacteria leading to stasis. Do you know of any good probiotics? Iím going to ask the vet tomorrow, if they do want to put her on antibiotics to hopefully prevent stasis.

    Also do you know how to tell if snuffles has spread/developed (if thatís what it is). Obviously sneezing more and more discharge, struggle breathing etc, but anything else I should know of? The male is possibly sneezing slightly more than yesterday, but the female hasnít sneezed once (yet - usually happens later in the day for some reason) but Iím so paranoid now.

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    144,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mismatchbunnies View Post
    Yes I agree as my female is stasis prone and I know antibiotics can mess with the gut bacteria leading to stasis. Do you know of any good probiotics? Iím going to ask the vet tomorrow, if they do want to put her on antibiotics to hopefully prevent stasis.

    Also do you know how to tell if snuffles has spread/developed (if thatís what it is). Obviously sneezing more and more discharge, struggle breathing etc, but anything else I should know of? The male is possibly sneezing slightly more than yesterday, but the female hasnít sneezed once (yet - usually happens later in the day for some reason) but Iím so paranoid now.
    There is much debate as to how useful probiotics are as the naturally acidic environment is likely to kill off probiotics before they reach the part of the GO tract where they are needed-ie the cecum.

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_dise...probiotics.htm

    That said, giving a Probiotic wont do any harm. Most Vets suggest Fibreplex :

    https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/prote...l-syringe.html

    As for signs of 'Snuffles' progressing- symptoms such as unexplained weightloss-ie Rabbit is not eating less but losing weight, Increased respiratory rate/effort, mouth breathing/elevating the head and stretching the neck, choking episodes, spontaneous abscesses (abscesses appearing without any history of injury), ear infections/head tilt.
    Last edited by Jack's-Jane; 26-05-2020 at 05:41 PM.


    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •