• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help on whether or not to bond bunnies

Hello all! I’m fairly new to this forum but I can’t wait to see and read about everyone’s furry friends! <3

I need some help with bonding my bunnies/knowing whether my bunnies will get along.

The bunnies in question is my double lion-head boy, Totoro, (who is 1 year old), and my lop eared bunny Honey, who was a rescue, (we think she is around 3 years old).

We have tried bonding Honey to another rescue rabbit of her age, however, this didn’t work so well and now she has been living on her own, switching between an inside hutch and an outside run. As for Totoro, he also lives both inside and outside and often has a lot of time around the house. Totoro previously lived with another male lion-head a bit older than him (Nutmeg), but after Nutmeg was neutered he became extremely aggressive and the boys couldn’t live together anymore.

Whilst outside, we normally seperate the bunnies, but Totoro managed to get himself into Honey’s run this morning (as he has done a few times before!) And the two often lie together like in the picture I have attached. We don’t know whether to bond the two as Totoro has not been neutered (Honey has) and sometimes chases her around because he wants to mate. We are scared about neutering Totoro because before Nutmeg was neutered, he was a little angel towards me and Totoro. However, after he was neutered we left him alone to recover for a few weeks and now he has tried to kill Totoro and bites me and my family every chance that he gets.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you so much <33

well the question is if you want them to mate or not. also if you dont you should seperate them until one or both of them get nuetered/spayed. you should bond them until you do that because they will most likely mate and they wont bond the way you want them too. also you can do your background research on bonding with aggressive rabbits to help Nutmeg. im not really sure what your question is. i think the reason your rabbits hang out id cause totoro wants to mate but you should watch what the do for the next couple of days to see if they want to bond or mate. sorry if i wasnt much help!

also i forgot to add that an unspayed female will most likely bond with a neutered male. and female to male bonding is the best pair but you can also bond female to female. im not sure how a male and a male will do but yeah

If your female isn't neutered there is a high possibility she is pregnant as the male has been with her. You can't really bond an un-neutered male with a female as he will just pester her all the time to mate with her. So, when he is neutered and usually this has a good effect, you can then try bonding them in a neutral space, well away from your girl's area. Have a look on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website where there is lots of excellent advice on bonding etc.

It looks like they get on ok, but they both need to be neutered before bonding properly. Un-neutered bunnies will be very hormonally driven, which can result in falling out, nipping, chasing, biting, stress, etc. As Honey is neutered, at least pregnancy is not an issue, but he may pester her and she may retaliate if she gets fed up with him, so I would get him neutered and see how it goes a few weeks later when he has recovered and his hormone levels have fallen. Bunnies are much happier together, as your picture shows.

I would also get Nutmeg checked over again. He may have an infection after the neutering (assuming it was relatively recent) or be in pain from another cause. A straightforward neutering would not usually cause the changes you describe.

Back