• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis Recovery

New here but just looking for some experience really. Have two buns a dental gassy Mini Rex Primrose who has had multiple bouts of stasis always linked to being due for a dental. And a Lionhead mix rescue Rodney who has never been ill before. They're both roughly 3 years old.

I know all of the signs for Primrose and have all of the meds to start treatment at home. We get metacam and zantac into her. Straight onto critical care and off to the vets for a dental once shes eating independently. She bounces back in a few days with the right medicine and plenty of baby food bribes.

But Rodney we've never had this before. We're on week two of Metaclop, Zantac, Metacam,Baby Gas Drops and critical care.

He eats a bit and is pooping a bit, he never stopped both but everything was slow. Volume of poop is increasing slowly but I feel this may be as I'm getting better at getting more critical care into him.

He's not seen a vet yet as they were happy to prescribe to get him back on track as he was still pooping and he has a fair bit of cecals coming though and hes still eating those. I want to get him in on Tuesday which is when I run out of meds.

He has done some larger poops which seemed to gave hair mats in and he was overgrooming which seems to have settled now.

Has anyone else has to support their bun with feeds this long? Hes in great spirits but we're all exhausted from the medicine and food schedule and my poor DH is covered in scratches.

I've bought fibreplex today to see if it might help us. Hes not drinking a great deal but the critical care I make is pretty loose so I'm thinking he's getting his liquids that way?

He hates anything sweet which is unfortunate because I have apple and banana critical care. Although one of the only things he gobbles is dried plantain but I'm not sure if I should give him too much.

Hi there

I'm really sorry to read that Rodney is poorly. One of my rabbits once had a really bad bout of stasis that lasted for two weeks. During that time she hardly ate anything for herself and had to be constantly syringe fed.

The one thing that seemed to turn things around was increasing the metacam dosage. At the time I hadn't realised that the vet who had first seen her had prescribed a very low dosage for her weight range. That meant that she wasn't getting adequate pain relief, which in turn prolonged the whole episode. So, when you take Rodney to the vet it'll definitely be worth discussing the pain meds.

In the meantime, I'd keep giving him the plantain if that's what he wants to eat. My understanding is that plantain is very good for getting things moving through the gut so it's more likely to benefit him rather than cause harm. Bramble leaves are also excellent for a rabbit's digestive system if he'll eat them.

I hope Rodney starts to feel better soon. It is exhausting nursing a bunny through stasis for so long!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Fluids are a really important part of the treatment of stasis as the ingested matter becomes dehydrated quickly when the GI tract motility is compromised. So fluids given IV or subcutaneously as well as orally are extremely beneficial.

Trying to determine any primary cause of the stasis is also necessary, as you will know from having Primrose to deal with. Just treating the symptoms of stasis may not be curative if there is an underlying problem.

Personally I would definitely want the Vet to examine Rodney ASAP and run any diagnostics deemed to be necessary. In the meantime I would try to up his fluid intake in any way you can. Aim to get at least 50ml-100ml/kg (his weight) into him daily.

Does he eat fresh veg/herbs/grass/forage ? Increasing these food types will help with his water intake.

There have been times I had to syringe feed for three or four weeks as their only source of nutrition or to supplement their eating.
It can seem like they are eating a lot of critical care, especially if you are making it loose, yet it can take much more than we realize for bunnies to have an appropriate amount of output. Your bunny is passing material, including small amounts of fur ingested during grooming, and that is a positive.
Jane already advised you on fluids , greens, and determining the underlying reason for stasis, and that is good advice.
Would your bunny eat softened pellets on his own? Could you grind his regular food into a powder and mix it with critical care so it has a more familiar taste?
Sending you and your bunny some positive vibes.

Thank you all for your replies. He is eating some limited greens and I have been wetting them. He will nibble especially coriander/cilantro and romaine lettuce.

He did a massive pile of normal poos this morning which was encouraging. No string or bigger furry ones at all. Followed by some hay munching especially of his hay cookie.

I dont have pellets at all as Primrose isnt allowed any as they are also a stasis trigger for her and if she saw or smelled Rodney getting them I would fear for us all, she can be creative if snubbed. Their bond while lovely now has taken a year to settle and food can still sometimes cause some dispute. So we cut them out for both of them.

I've switched to fine grind critical care this morning as the apple banana pack ran out. He did seem to take it better and I've added syringing a couple mls of lukewarm fresh coriander tea each feed.

He wont take more than 15ish ml of anything so i get his meds in first then the rest is food and then the water at the end but possibly I should try more liquids? I'm feeding him 4 times a day as he gets so stressed. Wont take anything from a bowl or spoon and Primrose hoovers up anything dropped from feeds or in an accessible place.

I'm sad I've had to remove all blankets and vetbed from their area as he was attempting to eat it all. Primrose has sore hocks so I'm really hoping to be able to find something soft but edible for them to sit on. They're on lino with straw but seem to prefer sitting on the lino possibly as it's hot out.

I have him on a 7.5kg dog metacam dose every 12 hours. He's 2.3kg normally. My Dh says he doesnt appear to be loosing weight but we cant actually check. He's giving him regular belly rubs when allowed and theres no guarding or signs of pain. Until recently he'd been overgrooming but that's stopped now so I wonder if that's a pain sign for him?

I feel awful that I havent taken him in to the vets yet but they were insistent on a home regime as he was pooping still. He will be going as soon as they open on Tuesday although he finds it hideously stressful which is on his notes so possibly why they didnt want him straight in.

They are hay munchers but I suspect because its warm Primrose keeps digging the straw away and sitting on just lino. Her hocks look normal for her at the moment I just worry about them getting worse.

In fact I'm a total worry wort about them both ar the moment. I tried syringing Rodney more fluids and just ended up covering both of us.

He seems to only want stuff he can chew lightly. I'm starting to suspect teeth trouble as I've noticed he eats about an hour after his metacam.

They are hay munchers but I suspect because its warm Primrose keeps digging the straw away and sitting on just lino. Her hocks look normal for her at the moment I just worry about them getting worse.

In fact I'm a total worry wort about them both ar the moment. I tried syringing Rodney more fluids and just ended up covering both of us.

He seems to only want stuff he can chew lightly. I'm starting to suspect teeth trouble as I've noticed he eats about an hour after his metacam.

Or his ears. Especially if he is a Lop breed. Rabbits with ear pain can find eating to be painful, especially hard food.

Hmm I've not considered ears before. Hes not a lop but he is very sensitive to ear touches so I've only ever given visual inspections.

Last night was rough he took his meds but barely anything else. Never know whether to be relieved he feels like fighting so much or devastated because I didnt get enough in him.

Hmm I've not considered ears before. Hes not a lop but he is very sensitive to ear touches so I've only ever given visual inspections.

Last night was rough he took his meds but barely anything else. Never know whether to be relieved he feels like fighting so much or devastated because I didnt get enough in him.

What is his poo output like now ?

Back to small again. When I came downstairs he was picking at bits of hay and when he realised I was making up syringes he ate the biggest piece I've seen as if to say no it's ok I'm eating! But then refused his spring greens for breakfast which admittedly aren't his favourite but he normally gives them a good nibble.

He had all his meds and 10ml of Cc and 4ml of water. His chin is covered but he is fastidious about cleaning it up so I would guess he eats most of that too.

He's out for play time now and seems happy although still grooming off where ever we handled him. Despite it being warm I gave him a heat pad overnight and he seemed to enjoy that.

Back to small again. When I came downstairs he was picking at bits of hay and when he realised I was making up syringes he ate the biggest piece I've seen as if to say no it's ok I'm eating! But then refused his spring greens for breakfast which admittedly aren't his favourite but he normally gives them a good nibble.

He had all his meds and 10ml of Cc and 4ml of water. His chin is covered but he is fastidious about cleaning it up so I would guess he eats most of that too.

He's out for play time now and seems happy although still grooming off where ever we handled him. Despite it being warm I gave him a heat pad overnight and he seemed to enjoy that.

This is just my unqualified opinion- now that he has had his meds, a bit of food intake and is now out playing I'd let him have several hours of no intervention/handling from you at all. Just observe from a distance.If he is getting mega stressed about all the handling this may make him less likely to try to eat more for himself.

Try leaving bits of food about that he may decide to eat. Although I realise this can be tricky if there is another Rabbit who may hoover everything up. My thinking is a minimal stress from handling day may be worth a go.

Also, when you prepare his meds/syringe feeds try to do so out of his sight/earshot. So he does not get himself worked up before anything actually happens. Then if you can, make the handling as firm and confident on your part as possible. Try to give the message 'hey, this is no big deal, all over in a few minutes and then I'll go away'. Bunnies do pick up on our stress and anxiety. And we all know just how stressful it is to be caring for a Bunny who is not eating x

We give him a gap til 4pm. And only interfere if hes attempting to munch the carpet.

He's currently binkying on the sofa with me on it. He forgives very quickly if he's let out to roam. He seems to peak about 2.5 hours after his meds and feed. Hes munched a bit of hay that I've mixed some dried echinacea, coriander, beech and plantain in.

Primrose has started nesting in the cage again this morning. A common thing for her in spring and it often upsets him so i usually let him out more when shes doing that but it does tire him out as hes on alert more.

We dont know much about his history but he hates the sounds of rain and only likes dark enclosed spaces. But then gets very defensive of those places. We fear he lived alone in an exposed hutch with little care which is why he is so upset at handling. Unfortunately they live adjoining the kitchen so as soon as I turn the kettle on to make his coriander tea he bolts.

I'm not quick with the syringes. I'm always fearful of giving too much. He makes this sort of dull gulping noise when he swallows and it worries me. I was using lots of 1ml but am getting him used to the 15ml one now.

We give him a gap til 4pm. And only interfere if hes attempting to munch the carpet.

He's currently binkying on the sofa with me on it. He forgives very quickly if he's let out to roam. He seems to peak about 2.5 hours after his meds and feed. Hes munched a bit of hay that I've mixed some dried echinacea, coriander, beech and plantain in.

Primrose has started nesting in the cage again this morning. A common thing for her in spring and it often upsets him so i usually let him out more when shes doing that but it does tire him out as hes on alert more.

We dont know much about his history but he hates the sounds of rain and only likes dark enclosed spaces. But then gets very defensive of those places. We fear he lived alone in an exposed hutch with little care which is why he is so upset at handling. Unfortunately they live adjoining the kitchen so as soon as I turn the kettle on to make his coriander tea he bolts.

I'm not quick with the syringes. I'm always fearful of giving too much. He makes this sort of dull gulping noise when he swallows and it worries me. I was using lots of 1ml but am getting him used to the 15ml one now.

Well he sounds to be in reasonably good spirits, which is obviously a positive.

Is Primrose spayed ? I know some spayed Does may still occasionally nest, but it is not the norm.

Yes since she was a couple of months old. But she nests on a fairly regular basis in Spring this is the third this year. Often a little while after a humping session between the two.

We didnt have her until she was a little older so I called the vets that did her spay to make sure they complete the full procedure and they confirmed she had.

Oddly we didnt see it with her first mate before Rodney but he was a massive English Lop and I'm not sure he ever engaged in the behaviour. He was a bit older and top bunny. He sadly died at a year old and it significantly changed her behaviour.

Now shes top bunny and reinforces it daily with grooming requests and such. And I've caught her humping him occasionally. The vets have said they sometimes see it with new partnerships but they've been together a long time now.

Primrose to be fair is a nutter, her nickname is Little Devil. I do think sometimes that Rodney would prefer a slightly quieter girl. Although she obviously knows hes not well as shes taken up grooming and cuddling a lot more the last few days.

He's sitting eating his cecals now. There seem to be loads but maybe it's the critical care?

Yes since she was a couple of months old. But she nests on a fairly regular basis in Spring this is the third this year. Often a little while after a humping session between the two.

We didnt have her until she was a little older so I called the vets that did her spay to make sure they complete the full procedure and they confirmed she had.

Oddly we didnt see it with her first mate before Rodney but he was a massive English Lop and I'm not sure he ever engaged in the behaviour. He was a bit older and top bunny. He sadly died at a year old and it significantly changed her behaviour.

Now shes top bunny and reinforces it daily with grooming requests and such. And I've caught her humping him occasionally. The vets have said they sometimes see it with new partnerships but they've been together a long time now.

Primrose to be fair is a nutter, her nickname is Little Devil. I do think sometimes that Rodney would prefer a slightly quieter girl. Although she obviously knows hes not well as shes taken up grooming and cuddling a lot more the last few days.

He's sitting eating his cecals now. There seem to be loads but maybe it's the critical care?

Hmmmmm, well to me it sounds as though there is a chance that some ovarian tissue may have been left behind when Primrose was spayed. Rabbits are induced ovulators, ovulating in response to being 'humped' or to the smell/behaviour of an entire Buck. Without diagnostics it's impossible to say for certain that there are no remnants of ovarian tissue. But if the situation is managable and not causing Primrose a lot of stress it is probably just best to leave things be.

Adrenal gland problems can also cause hormonal behaviour in spayed/castrated Rabbits. But the condition is rare, it usually effects older Bucks, but Does can also be effected The condition is known as Adrenal Gland Hyperplasia. It is similar to that seen in Ferrets. In my 22 years of caring for Rabbits I have had 2 Bucks with the condition. Both started to display symptoms at the age of about 6. Both were treated with a hormone implant which gave them a much better quality of life. Their hypersexual behaviour caused them a huge amount of stress and until on treatment they had to be separated from their partners. However, all of this is highly unlikely to be relevant to Primrose. Residual ovarian tissue would be far more likely. I'd just be mindful of if one of her not eating/ stasis episodes occurs shortly after a pseudopregnancy. Whilst she may have Dental issues (very rare in Rexes IME and I have kept them for 22 years) it could be that the primary cause of her bouts of anorexia are hormone related stress.

Sorry, I seem to have gone off at a bit of a tangent when this thread is really about Rodney ! That said, it could be that he too may become stressed by an over amorous Doe.

Re Rodney's cecotroph output. You mention he seems to be producing a lot today. It may be that his not eating/gut slow down was due to Cecal impaction. If so the fact that there is now lots coming out is a good sign. Cecal impaction is insidious in onset, the Rabbit showing a somewhat reduced input and fecal output over a few weeks. Sometimes the symptoms mimic those of Dental problems in that the Rabbit may become selective in what he/she eats and may pick up and then drop various foods. Once the cecum becomes very full it is easily palpable on abdominal examination.

I hope that the increased cecal output today will lead to an overall improvement for Rodney and that his eating will get back to normal soon x

Last edited:
Ha that's ok I'm always interested in anything that might explain either of their behaviours. She never seems stressed by it but it does upset Rodney a great deal. We usually find him begging to be let out as soon as she starts gathering straw.

I might ask them to check for that next time shes out for a dental. All of her health problems the hocks and dental all started after she lost her first mate so we initally linked it to stress. She's quite sensitive to the teeth issues , the vet has always said she only has mild redness and small spurs.

She and her first mate were our first bunnies so we're still learning lots. Flop died really quickly and we believe he had some genetic issues as he'd been bred for show but then rejected and our vets while they're goodish they aren't specialist. The nearest specialist is 30min drive away and Rodney gets stressed going to the one 5 mins away so I'm always reluctant to register them there.

I'm hoping we can keep Rodney stable until tomorrow. My partner pointed out hes seen him eating cecals on the camera often all the way through this. I'm not sure that's normal for statis?

Ha that's ok I'm always interested in anything that might explain either of their behaviours. She never seems stressed by it but it does upset Rodney a great deal. We usually find him begging to be let out as soon as she starts gathering straw.

I might ask them to check for that next time shes out for a dental. All of her health problems the hocks and dental all started after she lost her first mate so we initally linked it to stress. She's quite sensitive to the teeth issues , the vet has always said she only has mild redness and small spurs.

She and her first mate were our first bunnies so we're still learning lots. Flop died really quickly and we believe he had some genetic issues as he'd been bred for show but then rejected and our vets while they're goodish they aren't specialist. The nearest specialist is 30min drive away and Rodney gets stressed going to the one 5 mins away so I'm always reluctant to register them there.

I'm hoping we can keep Rodney stable until tomorrow. My partner pointed out hes seen him eating cecals on the camera often all the way through this. I'm not sure that's normal for statis?

True gut stasis means that there is seldom much if any fecal or cecal output. I am not sure if you have already read these links

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/article-ROWinter10p7.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Re Primrose again. In order to establish if she does have retained ovarian tissue diagnostic options usually include specific hormone related blood testing or in more extreme cases when the symptoms are having a major impact on the welfare of the Rabbit a laparotomy to have a look inside the abdominal cavity.

Thamk you i've definitely seen the poo guide before but not the others.

I'm think lack of appetite is the main symptom as everything else is being resolved by the medicine and Cc. It's possible he's not getting enough metacam to help with that. I dont want to up it any further without weighing him and checking with the vet.

Hes very sleepy now as per usual for this time of day. His 4PM feed is Ranitidine, CC, tea and simethicone. I've been adding fibreplex as well although the texture isn't ideal for syringing. Very odd paste.

Then a break before another feed at 8PM for metacam and emeprid. Hes always calm for that one so I try and get in as much as possible.

Thank you so much for chatting it over with me. My Dh keeps telling me I'm overreacting and that we're managing it but I'm well aware he should really be taking more food independently by now and i desperately dont want to loose him.

Thamk you i've definitely seen the poo guide before but not the others.

I'm think lack of appetite is the main symptom as everything else is being resolved by the medicine and Cc. It's possible he's not getting enough metacam to help with that. I dont want to up it any further without weighing him and checking with the vet.

Hes very sleepy now as per usual for this time of day. His 4PM feed is Ranitidine, CC, tea and simethicone. I've been adding fibreplex as well although the texture isn't ideal for syringing. Very odd paste.

Then a break before another feed at 8PM for metacam and emeprid. Hes always calm for that one so I try and get in as much as possible.

Thank you so much for chatting it over with me. My Dh keeps telling me I'm overreacting and that we're managing it but I'm well aware he should really be taking more food independently by now and i desperately dont want to loose him.

From your description of his general demeanour I dont think that is likely. Hopefully if the Vet can see him and examine him tomorrow he/she will be able to identify and address the cause of his anorexia. It may well be his teeth, but the Vet can also look into any other possibilities. I think you are doing a grand job with looking after him. I know all too well how stressful it is when a Bunny wont eat and we dont know why.

Back