Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabbit nipping her sister - getting worse

We don’t have really have room for a third bunny unfortunately. The rescue centre have offered to take both the girls back, then bond them with males and we’d take one of the male/female pairs. I think we’re going to have to do that. On the rescue centre centre’s advice we separated the girls entirely for three days, and have now reunited them but confined them to hutch and run rather than letting them out into the garden. Clover isn’t nipping Hazel nearly as much as she was, but she doesn’t groom her and they’re thumping at each other a lot. They just don’t seem happy

Wise Old Thumper

It is sad, but personally I think it's the best outcome for you and your family and also for the bunnies. I hope it all works out well. Let us know how you get on.

Thank you

I’m sorry that it hasn’t worked out the way you had hoped you’ve tried your best, and I am sure that you are doing the best thing for the rabbits, as hard as it is for you.

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

I feel like I’m giving up on them and just ‘sending them back because I don’t like them’. I am consciously doing the best for the rabbits, but deep down there is a bit of me that wants them to go back to the rescue centre because this is not an enjoyable experience for us either. I feel ashamed of myself for saying that. So I think I’m over-compensating and trying desperately hard to keep them together and keep them here, because I feel guilty about not really wanting them So it’s helpful to hear other people speak the voice of reason!

We’ve had rabbits before, and we adored them, and they adored each other, and it was a lovely happy bond for all of us. So I know this could be so much better for the bunnies and for us.

Wise Old Thumper

I feel sure starting again is the right thing to do. We can't force rabbits to get along with each other if they don't want to. 2 females will usually try to dominate one another - in the wild females will kill another rabbit over a nest area so I have read. You are doing the best thing for them

Mama Doe

They could have ended up with someone who wasn't prepared to meet their needs - so they could have ended up badly hurt with no vet attention, or living alone. This outcome is much better for the bunnies long term. The rescue is also doing the responsible thing. Sometimes things don't work out the way we would prefer, but that wasn't because of anything you did. They could each be re-bonded with a neutered boy and you could take one pair back.