• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating poop...

KandTheBuns

New Kit
New poster, I couldn’t find any answer for this on google so hoping someone can point me in the right direction!

2 days ago I was given a BIG french lop to ‘foster’ (my sister intends to keep him long term). She helps out on a farm and the neighbouring farm had some rabbits and Guineapigs all shaked up together in filthy conditions. The poor guy was eating guinea pig musli, rarely had hay and was constantly fighting with his brother (both unneutered and unvaccinated). Despite that he’s very friendly, doesn’t seem at all fazed by the move and clearly just wants some love and Attention.

He’s not in the best state but we’ve taken him to the vet and he’s got ointments for the urine scald, eye drops for the weepy eyes and parasite treatment and pain relief for his poor skin. So he’s on the mend!

I’ve got 2 house rabbits myself who are happy healthy buns that eat their cecotropes and poop in their litter trays and that’s all fine and good. (Note: I’m keeping them on the other side of the house to avoid infection or mites from him!)

But this big guy eats his poop. And I don’t mean in the way he should be. At first I thought he wasn’t pooping at all because I couldn’t find any in the run he’s in, but after watching him for a while he’s literally going around and eating every dry poo pellet he can find. He has access to hay and I’m giving him the correct weight of dry pellets and greens every day.

Is this a thing?! Could it be he’s confusing his poop with the dry pellets because he’s used to museli? Or is it a stress/pain response? I’ve never seen anything like it and am worried it might be a sign of a bigger problem. The vet didn’t really have much to say about it but does anyone else have any experience of this?

Sorry for the long message!

New poster, I couldn’t find any answer for this on google so hoping someone can point me in the right direction!

2 days ago I was given a BIG french lop to ‘foster’ (my sister intends to keep him long term). She helps out on a farm and the neighbouring farm had some rabbits and Guineapigs all shaked up together in filthy conditions. The poor guy was eating guinea pig musli, rarely had hay and was constantly fighting with his brother (both unneutered and unvaccinated). Despite that he’s very friendly, doesn’t seem at all fazed by the move and clearly just wants some love and Attention.

He’s not in the best state but we’ve taken him to the vet and he’s got ointments for the urine scald, eye drops for the weepy eyes and parasite treatment and pain relief for his poor skin. So he’s on the mend!

I’ve got 2 house rabbits myself who are happy healthy buns that eat their cecotropes and poop in their litter trays and that’s all fine and good. (Note: I’m keeping them on the other side of the house to avoid infection or mites from him!)

But this big guy eats his poop. And I don’t mean in the way he should be. At first I thought he wasn’t pooping at all because I couldn’t find any in the run he’s in, but after watching him for a while he’s literally going around and eating every dry poo pellet he can find. He has access to hay and I’m giving him the correct weight of dry pellets and greens every day.

Is this a thing?! Could it be he’s confusing his poop with the dry pellets because he’s used to museli? Or is it a stress/pain response? I’ve never seen anything like it and am worried it might be a sign of a bigger problem. The vet didn’t really have much to say about it but does anyone else have any experience of this?

Sorry for the long message!

Hello, I expect his fecal poo eating is due to his previous poor diet. He may never have had hay/grass and so will be trying to ingest fibre in any way he can. I assume that the Vet checked his teeth ? He is at high risk of having some Dental problems due to his previous poor diet. Having gunky eyes and mites is also often associated with Dental problems. Also, French Lops are prone to Dental problems as they are a brachycephalic breed.

Whilst you are providing him with hay is he actually eating LOTS of it ? If not then another reason for him eating his fecal poo could be because he is hungry. If he does have any problems with his teeth then eating hay may be something that he cant do as opposed to something he wont do. But if his teeth are OK and he is still not eating LOTS of hay you will need to offer him a wide variety of different hays to try to tempt him to do so. This website has a good selection of hays

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/by-category/hay-grasses.html

This company is very good too and their hay is very popular with a lot of 'fussy' Rabbits

https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/

Did the Vet mention Vaccinations ? I am assuming that you own 2 Rabbits are fully vaccinated :)

Hello, I expect his fecal poo eating is due to his previous poor diet. He may never have had hay/grass and so will be trying to ingest fibre in any way he can. I assume that the Vet checked his teeth ? He is at high risk of having some Dental problems due to his previous poor diet. Having gunky eyes and mites is also often associated with Dental problems. Also, French Lops are prone to Dental problems as they are a brachycephalic breed.

Whilst you are providing him with hay is he actually eating LOTS of it ? If not then another reason for him eating his fecal poo could be because he is hungry. If he does have any problems with his teeth then eating hay may be something that he cant do as opposed to something he wont do. But if his teeth are OK and he is still not eating LOTS of hay you will need to offer him a wide variety of different hays to try to tempt him to do so. This website has a good selection of hays

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/by-category/hay-grasses.html

This company is very good too and their hay is very popular with a lot of 'fussy' Rabbits

https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/

Did the Vet mention Vaccinations ? I am assuming that you own 2 Rabbits are fully vaccinated :)

Thankyou that’s helpful! I’ve seen him munch a bit of hay but not much, but the vet said his teeth looked okay so maybe it could be he just doesn’t like the hay I have. I’ll do some shopping around!

And yes my rabbits are vaccinated, I’ll get him done too as soon as I can but the vets only offering emergency appointments currently so just keeping him inside and waiting for corona to be over! :(

Thankyou for the advice!

Sounds like you are going to be kept busy with your new bunny. Can you pick him some grass until he settles in and hopefully starts to eat some hay? I expect if he was living in dirty conditions along with guinea pigs he wouldn't have been able to differentiate between food and mess. I hope he gets better and can enjoy life.

wait is vaccines not considered essential? if so that's a bit dumb...

At the start of the Covid 19 pandemic the Veterinary Professionals Governing Body stated that Vets should only carry out emergency treatment, not 'preventative'. So Vets had to stop all Vaccination programmes for all species. This has now changed and Vets are now able to offer vaccinations as long as there are procedures in place to do so without the client entering the Practice and minimising any contact between client Vet/VN/other clients etc- eg you hand over Bunny to the Vet/a VN outside the practice.

Back