• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heidi could use some vibes again 7/23/20

We appreciate the vibes. Heidi is not eating pellets which is so unlike Heidi. She ate the small piece of garden stick treat I gave her so I gave her another small piece at 5am which she ate. She picked up some hay and ate only a few strands.
She got pain med at vets and medicam at home yesterday. She made pee and poo, yet poos are smaller overnight than yesterday. She just got more medicam so I am hoping she will eat more on her own so I do not have to syringe feed my nervous girl.

Hopefully her eating will improve over the next 24 hours. Such a worry when a Bunny takes a bit of time to fully recover from a Dental x

Really hope Heidi returns to her normal self soon, after her dental. My dental bun, Treacle, usually takes a few days to adjust, a few wet herbs usually go down well. We are sending lots of vibes xxx

Continuing vibes for Heidi. My Spenser took a while to recover from his dental. He wanted hand fed for a few days!

Thank you for sharing your experiences and for the good vibes. She ate a piece of fibafirst stick and about a dozen pellets in the afternoon. Later she made more poo which were less than the normal size at first followed by ones she made this evening which are close to normal. She is still not eating normally. I did not syringe feed when I saw output improving so she is eating enough hay and fibafirst to ptoduce poo.
I gave her fluids and motility meds tonight after she spent extra time in her litterbox.
She is my only bunny who does not enjoy eating fresh greens, though she may eat more hay again now that she got her first dental.
Fingers crossed that she is back to begging for food when we wake up tomorrow.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and for the good vibes. She ate a piece of fibafirst stick and about a dozen pellets in the afternoon. Later she made more poo which were less than the normal size at first followed by ones she made this evening which are close to normal. She is still not eating normally. I did not syringe feed when I saw output improving so she is eating enough hay and fibafirst to ptoduce poo.
I gave her fluids and motility meds tonight after she spent extra time in her litterbox.
She is my only bunny who does not enjoy eating fresh greens, though she may eat more hay again now that she got her first dental.
Fingers crossed that she is back to begging for food when we wake up tomorrow.

Topping up the vibes for Heidi. It sounds as though she is making gradual progress x

This morning she went running when my spouse gave her a few pellets. Later she came to me and took one pellet at a time from my fingers. I do not even need to find the longer pellets because she is so good at taking the pellet and leaving the finger:lol:
Vet called yesterday and gave me the blood results they sent to an outside lab. He compared it to rabbit specific data. The lab had an issue with some value, so I have option to repeat, though vet got enough data to say it was normal. Her urinalysis was also normal too.

7-23-20 Need more vibes

I gave Heidi her 7:30pm pellets and fresh water -she drank 50ml since morning-before taking care of Madelyn who has stasis for last 6 days and washing up. She ate her pellets yet when I checked her at midnight I found she drank no water,made no fresh poo, and made no pee. She felt weak and only wanted to lay flat and stretched out. She did not want to eat more pellets which she gets sparingly. So I gave her pain med , fluids and syringe feed and checked her and Maddie every couple hours. By 8amshe made pee, and by 9am poo. She also ate morning ration of pellets.

Her first poo had fiber yet she not shedding or chewing. I did notice different seedheads in the new bag of hay I started last week and wonder if the seedheads are causing Heidie's gut slowdown. It is labeled a blend of orchard grass and timothy yet not from timothy that was never an issue. Thoughts?

7-23-20 Need more vibes

I gave Heidi her 7:30pm pellets and fresh water -she drank 50ml since morning-before taking care of Madelyn who has stasis for last 6 days and washing up. She ate her pellets yet when I checked her at midnight I found she drank no water,made no fresh poo, and made no pee. She felt weak and only wanted to lay flat and stretched out. She did not want to eat more pellets which she gets sparingly. So I gave her pain med , fluids and syringe feed and checked her and Maddie every couple hours. By 8amshe made pee, and by 9am poo. She also ate morning ration of pellets.

Her first poo had fiber yet she not shedding or chewing. I did notice different seedheads in the new bag of hay I started last week and wonder if the seedheads are causing Heidie's gut slowdown. It is labeled a blend of orchard grass and timothy yet not from timothy that was never an issue. Thoughts?

To be honest I doubt that the hay would be the problem. I am sure you'd know if it was at all mouldy, I think that would be the only thing to make hay upset a Bunny. With her previous blood test did the Vet say exactly what part was considered to be somewhat abnormal by the Lab ?

Before the Dental she had back in May did she have previous Dentals ?

Sending vibes for her, your Bunnies are certainly giving you a tricky time at the moment :cry:

Sending vibes for Heidi and also Maddie. I hope you've all been able to escape the oppressive heat the east coast has been plagued with of late. xxxx

To be honest I doubt that the hay would be the problem. I am sure you'd know if it was at all mouldy, I think that would be the only thing to make hay upset a Bunny. With her previous blood test did the Vet say exactly what part was considered to be somewhat abnormal by the Lab ?

Before the Dental she had back in May did she have previous Dentals ?

Sending vibes for her, your Bunnies are certainly giving you a tricky time at the moment :cry:

Thank you for responding so quickly Jane. I was overthinking this coincidence. The hay was not mouldy and it smelled good. When vet called to tell me about Maddie's dental, she had an ulcer, so highly unlikely Heidi's issue.
May was her only Dental.
I will need to check my notes to see blood work.
I wonder if Heidi was just stressed because of all the attention Maddie was getting (most done in a different room) or because she saw Maddie struggling even though they are separated by about four or five feet.

When I got home from the vet and picking up more greens, I checked Heidi and she made me a lot of poo, more pee, and ate the extra few pellets I left her (as a test) before I took Maddie to the vets.

One other possibility is we have municipal water and sometimes in summer it may taste a bit different (to a bunny) because of additional chemicals they may need to add in the hot weather to combat bacteria and algea.

Last edited:
Sending vibes for Heidi and also Maddie. I hope you've all been able to escape the oppressive heat the east coast has been plagued with of late. xxxx

I like the heat, yet we get so little most years. There are some strains on electric grid with air conditioners,but I did not loose power. Bunnies are indoors so not too hot. I might sit down before opening my next electricity bill.

Heidie had a slight relapse though not as bad as overnight.

I will check them overnight.

Back